Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

If anyone knows, step by step, to set the waypoint GC # instead of  "smart name" I could sure use some help.  I've read many pages, may have overlooked it,  but didn't find it. Yes, I prefer the gc# instead of the smart name.

Yes, I put GSAK on 3 of 4 , already!

Thanks in advance. SF1

I am assuming you what to change the name so when you export the file it has the GC number? If so:

Click export

when the dialog box comes up

click the ? help button on the bottom row

when the help screen comes up,

click the box that says 'Cache description format'

a cache/waypoint deccription box will appear

click the underlined words 'special tags;

I think you want the third line down %code (personally I use %drop 2) who needs the GC as they are all GC?)

The get back to the export screen and put in %code or %drop2 in the Cache description format box

That should set you free?

Here's my $.02 on the whole export thing... I like to use "%typ1C%drop2" for my export. this way the first letter in the new code gets changed to "M" for Multi Caches-"Y" for unknown-"E" for Events-"T" for traditionals and so on.... This way when looking at a list/gps screen, I can tell just from the Code what type of cache it is... Comes in handy when we have the kids along, or not much time before dark...

There it is for what it's worth anyhow...

Actually I do %drop2-%typ1 but didn't want to complicate the question earlier. What I like is it gives me the 4 letters/nuimbers of the cache without the GC, then a dash (-) and then the type after the cache name as in JMJR- T

This sorts on cache and not type and sorting on a 60cs with type before cache name would just add an extra step to punch in on the keyboard when calling up a cache.

GSAK and USB

I now have a development version of GSAK that has Garmin USB support (Via GPSBabel)

I need a few registered beta testers on various windows platforms to help test this.

If you are familiar with the process of Beta testing and would like to participate, then please send me a private email. Obviously you need a USB enabled Garmin GPSr to participate.

Please state what version of windows you are running.

Thanks

Clyde

edited: sorry, forgot to mention that you must be a registerd GSAK user

Edited by ClydeE

Delete all checked waypoints

I wanted to delete two waypoints, first I did a namesearch for the first one, checked it. Then I did a new namesearch for the second one. Checked it. Right-clicked and choosed to delete all checked caches. Only the one on the screen (the second one) got deleted. When I did a new namesearch for the first one did I show up with the box checked. So I had to rightclick and delete it manually.

I tried this a couple of more times - with the same result..

Delete all checked waypoints

I wanted to delete two waypoints, first I did a namesearch for the first one, checked it. Then I did a new namesearch for the second one. Checked it. Right-clicked and choosed to delete all checked caches. Only the one on the screen (the second one) got deleted. When I did a new namesearch for the first one did I show up with the box checked. So I had to rightclick and delete it manually.

I tried this a couple of more times - with the same result..

GSAK will only delete waypoints that are in your current search that are checked.

If you want all waypoints that are checked deleted, then clear your current search (press the escape key before doing the delete)

Edit: mis read the original post, so I couldn't duplicate until I realized there was a search active.

Edited by ClydeE
GSAK and USB

I now have a development version of GSAK that has Garmin USB support (Via GPSBabel)

I need a few registered beta testers on various windows platforms to help test this.

I am happy to announce it works. I have a laptop running XP SP2 and send to a Garmin60cs. I tested this tonight and was able to send and receive waypoints from GSAK to and from my GPS'r via the USB cable. I am extremely happy to be able to beta test this and post my success. This feature will be available to registered users only. Clyde (and Robert of GPSBabel), we really appreciate all the work you put in to this project.

GSAK and USB

After testing there have been some issues raised with the initial USB version of GPSBabel.exe

These issues have been addressed and you can download the latest version here http://gsak.net/babel/BabelUsb.zip

Note: As USB is currently for registered users only, this file is password protected. Just use the same user ID and password as before. If you did not get it, send me a private email.

Once downloaded, just unzip to your install folder of GSAK, making sure to override the old version of GPSBabel.exe

When you start GSAK and click on Help=>About the GPSBabel version should show as 1.2.4_beta09082004-gusb

Hi Clyde,

I'm a registered user and I'm trying to log into the site to get the USB version. I'm using the user name and password that you sent me to register GSAK but it will not let me in??

Thanks for getting a USB version for my Garmin GPS60CS!

Michael Campion

Hi Clyde,

I'm a registered user and I'm trying to log into the site to get the USB version. I'm using the user name and password that you sent me to register GSAK but it will not let me in??

Thanks for getting a USB version for my Garmin GPS60CS!

Michael Campion

Please note, the USB version is not available to the public yet - even if you are registered.

Only those that responded to my reqeust to beta test have this feature. I will send you a private email.

Couldn't wait to get home and try the beta with USB support(did have to stop for a couple of caches though). It works very fast and perfectly. You did a great job and it is very much appreciated. This will make it easy to load GPSs at events. One tool all GPSs. Thanks very much Oh yeah WINXP with SP1. I'll try it on a 2000 TP later.

Edited by horsegeeks
GSAK and USB

Tested on WIndows XP with a Garmin 76CS. Worked the first time and is very fast!

Tested on windows xp and garmin 2610---not working. Have version 4.1.3(build=20) and GPSBabel version 1.2.4-betabeta09082004-gusb.

Have checked appropriate box enabing usb.

When sending to 2610 GSAK creates the file but hangs when sending to the gps. :huh::huh:

When sending to 2610 GSAK creates the file but hangs when sending to the gps. :huh::huh:

The Streepilots use a gratituously different USB protocol than the handhelds. Since I don't have one for testing (and have learned better than to code anything to Garmin specifications) I didn't implement it.

If you'd like to loan me your unit for a few days, I'll fill in the missing pieces.

Tested on windows xp and garmin 2610---not working. Have version 4.1.3(build=20) and GPSBabel version 1.2.4-betabeta09082004-gusb.

When sending to 2610 GSAK creates the file but hangs when sending to the gps. :huh:  :huh:

Just wondering - what's the reason for wanting to send caches from GSAK to a 2610? I didn't think you can use a 2610 outside of a vehicle as it isn't battery powered. I guess if you wanted to use it to get close to a cache in the car that would be one reason.

As a workaround, I assume you have MapSource - just export to MapSource and send from there. 2 extra clicks.

When sending to 2610 GSAK creates the file but hangs when sending to the gps. :huh:  :huh:

Just wondering - what's the reason for wanting to send caches from GSAK to a 2610? I didn't think you can use a 2610 outside of a vehicle as it isn't battery powered. I guess if you wanted to use it to get close to a cache in the car that would be one reason.

As a workaround, I assume you have MapSource - just export to MapSource and send from there. 2 extra clicks.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I was just responding to the request for information regarding USB support and GSAK. I do use MapSource for exporting locations to the gps-r. I just thought that the usb support would be a few less steps in the process.

The USB support is working great with my 76C. However I have lost the ability to send or recieve waypoints with my etrex legend.

I am using GSAK 4.1.3 Build=20

gpsbabel = 1.2.4_beta09082004-gusb

It is gpsbabel that causes the error.

This is from the window that windows pops when the error occurs:

AppName: gpsbabel.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 00033905

I have the associated file available that windows wants to send to Microsoft.

I can send and recieve with the legend using Mapsource.

It's not that big of a deal, just wanted to relate what is happening in case others have the same problem.

Thanks,

Tim

The USB support is working great with my 76C. However I have lost the ability to send or recieve waypoints with my etrex legend.

I am using GSAK 4.1.3 Build=20

gpsbabel = 1.2.4_beta09082004-gusb

It is gpsbabel that causes the error.

This is from the window that windows pops when the error occurs:

AppName: gpsbabel.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 00033905

I have the associated file available that windows wants to send to Microsoft.

I can send and recieve with the legend using Mapsource.

It's not that big of a deal, just wanted to relate what is happening in case others have the same problem.

Thanks,

Tim

Sorry, I have to ask the obvious question - do you disable USB support when you try sending to the etrex?

Clyde, Are you aware of the new cache size that is being added to the pages. They now have a size of small, somewhere between micro and regular. Just wanted to make sure that you were aware of this?

Cache Well

Yes, thanks. This won't break GSAK, it just means for the moment you would not be able to to a filter on size small.

They are also talking about making micro anther cache type. I want to wait for the smoke to settle on all this before I rush into any changes for GSAK.

Clyde,  Are you aware of the new cache size that is being added to the pages.  They now have a size of small, somewhere between micro and regular.  Just wanted to make sure that you were aware of this?

Cache Well

Yes, thanks. This won't break GSAK, it just means for the moment you would not be able to to a filter on size small.

They are also talking about making micro anther cache type. I want to wait for the smoke to settle on all this before I rush into any changes for GSAK.

As I read through all of the topics on this, I get the impression that Jeremy's response to making micros a type instead of a size is "AINT GONNA HAPPEN". I think his solution of adding the size icon to the seach results will stop the requests for the type change.

Anyway, as it stands, I don't think you can add "SMALL" to the cache page yet, it doesn't matter if I can't filter for it in GSAK yet either.

Thanks for everything.

Cache Well

GSAK 4.1.3 is now ready for public release

This version includes some bug fixes and Garmin USB support. Please note, that although USB support has been tested with excellent results, this feature is still considered "beta". Also, the new USB support is only available to registered users. If you are a registered user and did not get an email from me explaining how to enable USB support please let me know.

Currently testing also indicates this version will NOT work with the Garmin Quest, or SteetPilot models (With USB).

For a complete list of changes please see http://www.gsak.net/help410/hs1060.htm

Download here http://gsak.net

Cheers

Clyde

Edited by ClydeE
Clyde,

I'm a registered user, and while I don't currently require USB support, I expect to in the future (hoping to get a 60c). Should I go ahead and enable it now and keep things current as I go, or wait until I actually need it to fool with it?

Installation is perhaps a tad convoluted at the moment, because I have split out the USB enabled version of GPSBabel from the main GSAK installation.

My advice at the moment would be it you don't have a Garmin USB enabled GPS then don't worry about setting up the USB part. Perhaps when you do, the setup will be easier. However, If you do get a 60c before USB goes main stream, then just send me a private email and I will send you the current instructions.

Thumper here, All is still well in my camp. Gsak and the 60CS are still communicating in great fashion. Does not seem to matter which OS I am using (Win98 or XP SP1 or SP2). I have tried several different upload/downloads of filtered databases and it has accepted tham all without error. I did find one little hickup though, if your USB port is in the back of the puter, and there is a serial port right next to it, then GSAK will not work if you plug the USB cable into the serial port.........even if you unplug and re plug it. For some odd reason the USB cable REALLY needs to be in the USB port, imagine that. Though I had a problem to report, until I pulled the USB (read my head out of my ....) out of the serial port and put it in the proper port.

What a great piece of software.......super work.

Thumper :lol::):)

Clyde thanks much for the recent upgrade. It's really nice and quick dropping those waypoints from GSak to the Garmin 76cs with the usb.

One thing I noticed that did not catch my eye in previous versions:

On the main screen of Gsak under the Latitude column it seems that in a radom fashion when I pass the mouse cursor down the latitude column that when I get to certain latitude boxes bring up a decimal number that is different from the regular latitude number. Example: N 44 00.062 will read 44.016033333 only while the cursor is over the box. It does not effect the information loaded into the GPSr.

It just caught my attention. Whats with that? No big deal, just peaked my curiosity.

column that when I get to certain latitude boxes bring up a decimal number that is different from the regular latitude number. Example: N 44 00.062 will read 44.016033333 only while the cursor is over the

It's late and I"m tired, but I think it will only do that specific conversion if the "9" key on your keyboard doesn't work. :-)

The latter is decimal degrees. The former is degrees minutes.thousandths of a minute.

Decimals are easy to work with; and we know we can read the latter as 44 degrees + 0.1603333 degrees.

Degrees + minutes is easy if you think of "time" and remember that the bump from minutes to degrees is at 60 and not one hundred. (hint: it's no coincidence they're both called "minutes) So if we have 44 00.962, we can read that as "44 degrees plus .962 sixtieths of a degree. .962/60 == .016033.

The math to go the other way is left as an exercise for the reader.

How about a feature, say I have "X" database open and I'm planning a trip. As I fine tune the list I want to remove certain waypoints from the list, not delete them, just remove them. Is this possible without deleting them from the database?

Certainly, this is what the user flag is for (the column with the stick figure at the top)

Just make sure to clear all user flags before starting your filter process (User Flags=>Clear all) When you have set up you filter that gives you just about everything you want then start ticking (just click you mouse in the user flag box) on the way points you would like to exclude. When done just open up your filter and add User Flag = Not set, to exclude these from your sub set.

Tip: GSAK and Excel

I like to think GSAK just about does it all for you. However, there are still the power users that would like to export the GSAK database into a format they can “do their own thing”.

This tip will enable you to get the GSAK database into Microsoft Excel (requires excel 2000 or later)

1. Create a view (Tools=>Options=>Display) of all the columns you would like in Excel.

2. Do a print preview (File=>Print), selecting the grid option and make sure you check the "replace graphics with text" box.

3. Open the generated HTML file in Excel.

You now have an Excel file (you may want to Save As... a native xls file) that you can play with or use to interface with many other software utilities.

Edited by ClydeE

I scanned the posts but don't notice this: There is the case that multiple caches have the same name then there is the Nano 1, Nano 2, Nano 3... added at the end. The name might be very long. When I load to the GPS only the last one is saved - it overwrites the priors. I am using

%smart=16

as the name and

%name %code

as the description but still does not do what I am expecting?

Tks,

I scanned the posts but don't notice this: There is the case that multiple caches have the same name then there is the Nano 1, Nano 2, Nano 3... added at the end. The name might be very long. When I load to the GPS only the last one is saved - it overwrites the priors. I am using

%smart=16

as the name and

%name %code

Tks,

If your GPS will only accept 10 character waypoints then you should be using %smart=10

GSAK will always generate a unique smart name equal to the length of your smart name.

%smart=16

as the name and

%name %code

Tks,

I ran into something along the same lines this morning. I was uploading to my GPSr 1 cache from a series of 4 that all have the same name except for 1 word at the end. I had previously uploaded another from the same series and it was still in my unit. GSAK "smart-named" the new one the same as the previously loaded and overwrote it.

GSAK is a great piece of work but there is no way it will know what caches are already on my GPSr, and their names, when it is smart-naming a new bunch ready to load. I'll just have to remember that this could happen again whenever adding caches to my GPSr.

Cheers, Olar

This must be documented somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

How to edit symbols in the GSAK database? It seems that one can only put in geocaching type symbols.

Here's what I would like to do. With both automation and USB support now available in GSAK, I am trying to completely automate loading up my GPS (Garmin 60CS) and my PDA (Sony Clie) from my laptop. Moreover, I am trying to minimize how much I need to connect up.

For my PDA, I can simply insert the memory stick, so that is all set.

I can also plug my GPSr in to the USB. I usually wipe all the waypoints and then reload. One important part of reloading is to put in a Standard set of waypoints which includes my hides (loaded as "mines"), some friends' houses, some favorite trailheads,and some other key spots that are not geocaching types. I'd like to be able to store these in a GPX file so that I can load it into GSAK and then into my GPS with the non-geocaching symbols that I prefer.

My workaround is simply to load through Mapsource but it would be real slick if I could skip that step. Would it be reasonable to expand the options available in TYPE? or is there another way?

Team Geo-Jedi

This must be documented somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

How to edit symbols in the GSAK database? It seems that one can only put in geocaching type symbols.

Here's what I would like to do. With both automation and USB support now available in GSAK, I am trying to completely automate loading up my GPS (Garmin 60CS) and my PDA (Sony Clie) from my laptop. Moreover, I am trying to minimize how much I need to connect up.

For my PDA, I can simply insert the memory stick, so that is all set.

I can also plug my GPSr in to the USB. I usually wipe all the waypoints and then reload. One important part of reloading is to put in a Standard set of waypoints which includes my hides (loaded as "mines"), some friends' houses, some favorite trailheads,and some other key spots that are not geocaching types. I'd like to be able to store these in a GPX file so that I can load it into GSAK and then into my GPS with the non-geocaching symbols that I prefer.

My workaround is simply to load through Mapsource but it would be real slick if I could skip that step. Would it be reasonable to expand the options available in TYPE? or is there another way?

Team Geo-Jedi

Currently you can not do this. What you are really asking for is user defined types.

This one is on "the list" but no promises when it will pop up.

Even if you can't do it within GSAK, there's nothing to stop you from doing it without GSAK.

In your batch file that runs all this stuff, just do a

gpsbabel -i gpx -f \path\to\your\stuff.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

that'll shoot all the waypoints to your unit.

Be aware that you won't get the smartname uniqueness protection for waypoints that are injected this way. For xample, of stuff.gpx contains a waypoint named "home" (and I'd bet it does :-) and you're using GSAK's smart names that would result in a geocache named 'home' one will overwrite the other since neither half knows you smuggled a waypoint of that name in behind its back.

I've used a process like Geo-Jedi describes since long before GSAK or Garmin 60 roamed the earth.