Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

As version 4.1 is now available I have now started this thread and closed down the old one (that bugger was getting too big anyway)

My server came under heavy load last time I made the public release for GSAK, so at this stage only registered users are able to download the new version. When things settle down I will update the web site so all can upgrade.

If you would like a preview of what is in the new version please see http://gsak.net/help410/hs1060.htm

Cheers

Clyde

A suggestion for a future version - would it be possible for the Pause command to offer options rather than just "OK"? I'm thinking something like "Continue", "Skip Next Command" and "Exit". It would then be possible to have a complex macro where a process could be manually skipped (or the macro stopped altogether) at a pause.

Yes, this is not only possible but a very good suggestion. I will make sure to include in the next release (not the bug fix releases) and not just add "to the list" :rolleyes:

OK, 4.0.2 question here (waiting for an overtime check to register GSAK). Maybe this functionality is already here, but I can't find it.

Is it possible to have an existing waypoint in a database get flagged when the identical waypoint (by name or code) is loaded from a GPS? This would be similar to importing .GPX files - an option is to have matches flagged.

My goal is this: I'm using DeLorme's Topo USA 5 to define a route for an upcoming trip, but I can't find a way to export the route coordinates to use in a GSAK arc filter. So, I'm importing all the caches around certain cities to Topo, then using its search to narrow those down to x miles from the route (like many other users have done here). My thought then was to export those filtered caches back to the GPS, & from there to GSAK. If the imported caches would flag the existing caches, I could then do a proper export of cache info (hint, smart name, etc) to the GPS for actual usage.

A long winded question to a convoluted way of doing things - so I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

OK, 4.0.2 question here (waiting for an overtime check to register GSAK).  Maybe this functionality is already here, but I can't find it.

Is it possible to have an existing waypoint in a database get flagged when the identical waypoint (by name or code) is loaded from a GPS?  This would be similar to importing .GPX files - an option is to have matches flagged.

My goal is this:  I'm using DeLorme's Topo USA 5 to define a route for an upcoming trip, but I can't find a way to export the route coordinates to use in a GSAK arc filter.  So, I'm importing all the caches around certain cities to Topo, then using its search to narrow those down to x miles from the route (like many other users have done here).  My thought then was to export those filtered caches back to the GPS, & from there to GSAK.  If the imported caches would flag the existing caches, I could then do a proper export of cache info (hint, smart name, etc) to the GPS for actual usage.

A long winded question to a convoluted way of doing things - so I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

GSAK supports a few different formats for the input to an arc filter (more added in 4.1)

I am not familiar with Topo USA, so can't comment on how you could use the software to export your route in an acceptable format. This obviously would be the best solution.

Failing that, the work around for your scenario of flagging matched waypoints from your GPS:

1. Create a new database

2. Download waypoints from your GPS to the new database

3. Export this database to a GPX file

4. Load this GPX file into the database you want to find matching caches, using the "set user flag if waypoint updated" option

Edited by ClydeE
GSAK supports a few different formats for the input to an arc filter (more added in 4.1)

Once you mentioned that it would take Street Atlas route files, I guessed that Topo's would work, too, since I figure they share the same engine and can easily interchange files. I had been looking to bring in a file via the 'File' menu, not within the filter window.

It works just fine - glad I asked instead of just taking the long road. Thanks again!

Clyde, will the new changes to the GPX namespace affect GSAK (and Cachemate, although that's a different topic) much? see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=28236

My (admittedly cursory) reading of the messages seemed to indicate that the old GCxxxx cache number might be replaced by a GUID, which would seem to make future integration of pocket queries with the existing GSAK database we've accumulated undoable - hopefully I misunderstood?

My existing database includes caches we've found, including many that are current archived, finds with notes as well as my logs, and unfound regular and locationless caches with notes for when I do go hunt them etc. I'd hate to lose all that.

Jon & Miki

Clyde, will the new changes to the GPX namespace affect GSAK (and Cachemate, although that's a different topic) much? see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=28236

My (admittedly cursory) reading of the messages seemed to indicate that the old GCxxxx cache number might be replaced by a GUID, which would seem to make future integration of pocket queries with the existing GSAK database we've accumulated undoable - hopefully I misunderstood?

My existing database includes caches we've found, including many that are current archived, finds with notes as well as my logs, and unfound regular and locationless caches with notes for when I do go hunt them etc. I'd hate to lose all that.

Jon & Miki

Good question. I am not 100% sure on this either. However, I read that the new GUIDs are additional fields in the name space. Hopefully we will still get the old ids and this is what GSAK uses to update the database.

Clyde, will the new changes to the GPX namespace affect GSAK

Good question. I am not 100% sure on this either.

My reading is the same as Clyde's, but that thread wanders around a bit between new stuff (which should be ignored by XML readers) and changing the definitions of old stuff, so it's hard to speculate where it might go.

I hope that discussion (look at the date of the OP) turns into a discussion on the new developer's mailing list where it can be discussed and tested before it happens. We'll see.

WTF why wasn't I told about this? Man now I have something to do tonight!

About what?

Perhaps a bash at using the quote option so we know what your post is in relation to.

I am not sure, but I think it was the macro capability. Anyway Clyde, it apparently got him to register, so it must have been something he liked. :lol:

This aside, what is the status on getting GSAK using the USB port to talk to Garmin units?

Keep up the good work and thanks for the bug fix email.

Cache Well

This aside, what is the status on getting GSAK using the USB port to talk to Garmin units?

I am happy to say this is now underway. (I have a copy of GPSBabel that actually speaks to the Garmin 60 c/s)

Obviously there needs to be a lot of testing done on this (and I am still knee deep in 4.1 feedback at the moment). However, all going well USB support should pop up in 4.2

Clyde, will the new changes to the GPX namespace affect GSAK

Good question. I am not 100% sure on this either.

My reading is the same as Clyde's, but that thread wanders around a bit between new stuff (which should be ignored by XML readers) and changing the definitions of old stuff, so it's hard to speculate where it might go.

I hope that discussion (look at the date of the OP) turns into a discussion on the new developer's mailing list where it can be discussed and tested before it happens. We'll see.

It would be rather bad form not to be backwards compatible (i.e., grandfather the existing namespace spec), but if there's one thing that's pretty evident in the wild world of geocaching is the proliferation of proprietary and inconsistent protocols. One of the greatest strengths of GSAK (to Clyde's credit) is its ability to cross these proprietary boundaries with ease.

H Zenner

I just got an e-mail about the bugs in 4.1 and it said to download 412 to correct it but when I do it won't open as it says archive interity check failed, set up file size 6,032 bytes, actual size 2,364 bytes, set up will abort and that is all I get even when I go back to the e-mail. Suggestions.

I just got an e-mail about the bugs in 4.1 and it said to download 412 to correct it but when I do it won't open as it says archive interity check failed, set up file size 6,032 bytes, actual size 2,364 bytes, set up will abort and that is all I get even when I go back to the e-mail. Suggestions.

My two download attempts failed. One at a little over 2mb , the other just under 1mb.

I too got the email today to download 412 and I did and installed it with no problem so I don't think it is anything to do with the file at GSAK. I didn't have any problems with 411 but then I only ran it for a day. Good luck.

Yes, it sounds like you did not get the full file. Your Browser may be caching the file, so subsequent downloads still return the incomplete file.

Clear out your temporary Internet files and try again. If you are still having problems, send me a private email and I will give you another URL to try.

I just found the ARC filter and figured out how to use it. Will this ever be helpful when we head back to Baja (from north of San Francisco) next month. And, I just read that USB support for GSAK to Garmin60cs is in the queue. Clyde, you are the man, what a fantastic feature and of course program too.

Edited by wornout

I am happy to say this is now underway. (I have a copy of GPSBabel that actually speaks to the Garmin 60 c/s)

Obviously there needs to be a lot of testing done on this (and I am still knee deep in 4.1 feedback at the moment). However, all going well USB support should pop up in 4.2

:lol: I also am happy to know that this is underway. I'm so happy that I regestered my copy of 4.02 just a few minutes ago, and look forward to the new release. I hope to acquire the latest version soon, 4.1. Keep up the great work and give my apologies to your wife for you having to put in so many long hours, because we all love your work.

Edited by 4x4 Trail Busters

Thanks for the upgrades, Clyde. An excellent program - keep up the good work.

I'm not convinced about the new functionality of adding the code/name filtering to an already existing filter. This means that it no longer searches the whole database for the code/name, and thus gives misleading results.

It also seems to cause a "feature" when switching between filters. If I have two filters, each set on different centres but with distances that cause no overlap, then activating one filter then the other will cause two warnings that the filter contains no records.

What used to happen is that the current filter would be implicitly cleared before applying the new one, and this is the behaviour I preferred. Can I make a plea for its return, or at least an option? The new way is just too confusing, and it seems unnecessary for me to have to remember to explicitly clear the current filter.

What do others think?

I just got an e-mail about the bugs in 4.1 and it said to download 412 to correct it but when I do it won't open as it says archive interity check failed, set up file size 6,032 bytes, actual size 2,364 bytes, set up will abort and that is all I get even when I go back to the e-mail.  Suggestions.

Yes, it sounds like you did not get the full file. Your Browser may be caching the file, so subsequent downloads still return the incomplete file.

Clear out your temporary Internet files and try again. If you are still having problems, send me a private email and I will give you another URL to try.

Not only is this a great program but the programer is great too. You did the trick with your extra link. I got everything going now. It is nice to know that you are there for help when we need it, you make it more than worth while to be a paying user. Thanks thanks thanks for all your help.

GSAK Version 4.1 is now ready for public release.

Version 4.1 adds many new features and enhancements

Download version 4.1 here http://gsak.net

The link still has 4.02 listed as the download. :lol:

Thanks and keep up the great work!!! ;)

Not so. I think you will find your browser or ISP is still caching the old page.

If you are using Internet explorer try holding down the shift key, then click on the refresh button.

I'm not convinced about the new functionality of adding the code/name filtering to an already existing filter..

I just got so many reqeusts asking for it to work this way. Users were saying when they enter a code or name search it should apply only to the records they currently see. I have to agree that this does make more sense, and hence the change. You are the first to argue the other way.

This means that it no longer searches the whole database for the code/name, and thus gives misleading results

Not true. If you do want GSAK to search the whole database, then just clear your current filter (just hit your escape button on the keyboard)

It also seems to cause a "feature" when switching between filters. If I have two filters, each set on different centres but with distances that cause no overlap, then activating one filter then the other will cause two warnings that the filter contains no records.

I cannot duplicate this. Could you please take a backup of the offending database and settings (File=>Backup) and email the generated zip file. Could you then please describe the exact steps used to cause this behaviour.

GSAK registration on more than one computer.

I have had a few users ask me if it is ok to install GSAK on their laptop as well as their desktop using the same registration code. The license agreement which you accept when installing GSAK does explain this (Yea, I know, who reads that rubbish) but I would just like to make it clear.

The GSAK license is for the USER and not the computer. This means you can install and register it on your desktop, laptop, work computer (providing you have permission) etc.

It is not only OK to do this, I actively encourage it. One of the main reasons for the 4.1 backup/restore feature was so you could transfer GSAK data/settings between computers.

This may be at odds with other license agreements, but I just don’t think it fair you have to pay for the software on each computer you use, especially for something like GSAK. Perhaps the sort of logic you would expect from an uncouth ozzie from downunder.

So if you are a bit geeky, and like me have 5 computers, then by all means install and register on all 5 without an ounce of guilt :blink:

The new version works great. Now here's my "dream" request: Highlighting the GC code name and clicking a satellite icon brings up the 2m satellite image from terraserver or the likes which can then be exported to other apps. I usually download these images individually before a days huntand export them from Picture Gear into my Sony pda - a time-consuming process that I would like some help with. Just a dream I know.....

The new version works great. Now here's my "dream" request: Highlighting the GC code name and clicking a satellite icon brings up the 2m satellite image from terraserver or the likes which can then be exported to other apps. I usually download these images individually before a days huntand export them from Picture Gear into my Sony pda - a time-consuming process that I would like some help with. Just a dream  I know.....

Did you try right clicking the cache, selecting Custom URL and then Microsoft Terraserver?

If you don't have that option, click on Tools/Options/HTML tab and add:

Microsoft Terra Server=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?w=1&Lat=%lat&Lon=%lon

Edit: You actually asked for 2m images so you can add another or adjust the one you have to:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...at&Lon=%lon&w=1

The s=11 makes it display at 2m.

Edited by Team DEMP
GSAK registration on more than one computer.

I have had a few users ask me if it is ok to install GSAK on their laptop as well as their desktop using the same registration code. The license agreement which you accept when installing GSAK does explain this (Yea, I know, who reads that rubbish) but I would just like to make it clear.

The GSAK license is for the USER and not the computer. This means you can install and register it on your desktop, laptop, work computer (providing you have permission) etc.

It is not only OK to do this, I actively encourage it. One of the main reasons for the 4.1 backup/restore feature was so you could transfer GSAK data/settings between computers.

This may be at odds with other license agreements, but I just don’t think it fair you have to pay for the software on each computer you use, especially for something like GSAK. Perhaps the sort of logic you would expect from an uncouth ozzie from downunder.

So if you are a bit geeky, and like me have 5 computers, then by all means install and register on all 5 without an ounce of guilt  :D

I know, I was one of them that asked! I wish all program companies were like you and allowed the "User License" instead of the pc. Maybe someday? Now I have to go play with GSAK and learn some tricks. :D

Yes, I'm trying to come up to "today" :D from yesteryear :blink: , and the easy way to go! :D

If anyone knows, step by step, to set the waypoint GC # instead of "smart name" I could sure use some help. I've read many pages, may have overlooked it, but didn't find it. Yes, I prefer the gc# instead of the smart name.

Yes, I put GSAK on 3 of 4 , already!

Thanks in advance. SF1

Edited by strikeforce1

If anyone knows, step by step, to set the waypoint GC # instead of  "smart name" I could sure use some help.  I've read many pages, may have overlooked it,  but didn't find it. Yes, I prefer the gc# instead of the smart name.

Thanks in advance. SF1

I am assuming you what to change the name so when you export the file it has the GC number? If so:

Click export

when the dialog box comes up

click the ? help button on the bottom row

when the help screen comes up,

click the box that says 'Cache description format'

a cache/waypoint deccription box will appear

click the underlined words 'special tags;

I think you want the third line down %code (personally I use %drop 2) who needs the GC as they are all GC?)

The get back to the export screen and put in %code or %drop2 in the Cache description format box

That should set you free?

I really like GSAK but there is one thing not working 100% on Swedish Windows XP. The path for the startmeny program map is "..\start-meny\program\" but the icons is installed in "..\start-meny\programs" instead.

Besides that, GSAK is perfect.

Dam, you mean people outside of America use GSAK? :blink:

Looks like the install utility needs tweaking. If I pump out a version trying to fix this, would you be able to test for me?

Feature Request:

I really like the 'Dates' option when designing a filter, especially the "Last Found Date".

Could an option be added, so instead of hard-coding a specific date into the filter, it can be a dynamic date? In other words, the option might read:

"Last Found Date On or After 14 days ago"

This would really help when setting up an on-vacation cache list.

Thanks!

Edited by donbadabon
I really like the 'Dates' option when designing a filter, especially the "Last Found Date".

Could an option be added, so instead of hard-coding a specific date into the filter, it can be a dynamic date? In other words, the option might read:

"Last Found Date On or After 14 days ago"

Another one for "the list"

Clyde, I hate to waste your valuble time, however, I need to ask you a question about the "backup/restore" function. I ask it here because others may have the same question and it would save you time to answer one question for many users. I have tried to backup my file on the desk top puter, send it to the floppy (1.44) then restore it on the laptop. I got a "cyclical error" a couple of times. So I tried to send the zip backup file to the hard drive on the desk top, then copy the file to the floppy, that worked, kind of. I get the first four or five fields but lose everthing after that. What am I doing wrong, most likly something stupid knowing me. E-mail me if you need more info or a copy of the zip file.

Thumper B)B):)

I really like GSAK but there is one thing not working 100% on Swedish Windows XP. The path for the startmeny program map is "..\start-meny\program\" but the icons is installed in "..\start-meny\programs" instead.

Besides that, GSAK is perfect.

Dam, you mean people outside of America use GSAK? :huh:

Looks like the install utility needs tweaking. If I pump out a version trying to fix this, would you be able to test for me?

No problem, I can do the testing, just contact me when it's done.

Clyde, I hate to waste your valuble time, however, I need to ask you a question about the "backup/restore" function.  I ask it here because others may have the same question and it would save you time to answer one question for many users.  I have tried to backup my file on the desk top puter, send it to the floppy (1.44) then restore it on the laptop.  I got a "cyclical error" a couple of times.  So I tried to send the zip backup file to the hard drive on the desk top, then copy the file to the floppy, that worked, kind of.  I get the first four or five fields but lose everthing after that.  What am I doing wrong, most likly something stupid knowing me.  E-mail me if you need more info or a copy of the zip file.

Thumper :huh:  :blink:  :blink:

It can't think of anything off hand other than the zip file is too big to fit on the floppy.

You may also want to try the backup manually as it may just be you have a faulty diskette or drive.

However, if this is not the case please email me the zip file so I can interrogate and see if I can find any problem.

Edited by ClydeE

If anyone knows, step by step, to set the waypoint GC # instead of  "smart name" I could sure use some help.  I've read many pages, may have overlooked it,  but didn't find it. Yes, I prefer the gc# instead of the smart name.

Thanks in advance. SF1

I am assuming you what to change the name so when you export the file it has the GC number? If so:

Click export

when the dialog box comes up

click the ? help button on the bottom row

when the help screen comes up,

click the box that says 'Cache description format'

a cache/waypoint deccription box will appear

click the underlined words 'special tags;

I think you want the third line down %code (personally I use %drop 2) who needs the GC as they are all GC?)

The get back to the export screen and put in %code or %drop2 in the Cache description format box

That should set you free?

Here's my $.02 on the whole export thing... I like to use "%typ1C%drop2" for my export. this way the first letter in the new code gets changed to "M" for Multi Caches-"Y" for unknown-"E" for Events-"T" for traditionals and so on.... This way when looking at a list/gps screen, I can tell just from the Code what type of cache it is... Comes in handy when we have the kids along, or not much time before dark...

There it is for what it's worth anyhow...

I did finally get the files copied over to the other puter. I just copied the backup files in the host puters directory to the floppy then to the slave puter. I am not sure it was a files size being to big for the floppy error as I used the same floppy with the unzipped files which should have been larger. Let me tinker/mess with it a bit and see if it will work correctly with another floppy or CD. Just like any kid (all be it an older one) with a new toy to play first and read directions second........er, last.

Many thanks

Thumper :huh::blink::blink: