Has Anyone Tested/compared Various Map Data?

I have a Garmin 76s and use it in the USA. Mostly CA, TX, and FL.

I've shopped for maps: Garmin, ExpertGPS, DeLorme., Microsoft, etc. All of them claim accuracy. Has anyone quantitatively compared them for accuracy for the USA? The packaging is great -- what's really inside in terms of mapping data? Im primarily interested in streets. I dont care about routing. I want to nail an address accurately on a map.

Aside, are there maps that share the same data for the streets and house numbers? For example: what softwares use Navteq? Do they all use it the same way? Is it augmented in other ways? for example, Delorme claims that they develop their own map data, threfore it is more up to date - is that tested & true?

Microsoft uses Navteq & I think that Garmin does for Metroguide North America - is that true? Does that mean that in terms of correlation of street numbers and GPS coordinates, they are about the same? If so, and I am getting mapsource metroguide, am I wasting money getting Maps & Trips 2005?

DeLorme's Street Atlas PLUS is a DVD with referenced businesses and even phone numbers - I like that concept & for $99 it seems a bargain. delorme dvd PLUS But if I need to correlate an address to GPS coordinates (on my laptop the night before) & then fly over that house after a hurricane in a chopper, how likely is it that I can find the right house?

Im not just being picky - I really need accuracy. Not an award for pretty packaging. Not routing or number of stars for the sushi restuarant :o Thats the problem: the box graphics all look beautiful. Too bad you cant peek into the data like in the Matrix and see if youre being fooled ;)

We need some objective comparisons rather than taste!

Edited for pup-like spelling.

OK, pup, breath, my friend, breath :P

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

You might want to start with www.gpsinformation.net . This site compares GPS receivers and their associated map programs.

Both Garmin and Magellan provides for relatively accurate addressing on their map and GPS programs. I can't speak for the others in this regard. So locating the address by coordinates will get you within a reasonable distance of the actual location but don't expect pinpoint accuracy. I use my GPS all the time to locate addresses and it's a hit or miss by as many as two houses. But that's close enough for me to find my way to the specific area.

As for M&S and MapPoint, Delorme and others... each have their own upsides and downsides. None of them are painfully accurate, but then again, neither are most consumer-based paper maps. Some will be less accurate than others. I can't give you a good comparison as I'm unwilling to go out and spend the money on another program without enough touchy feely on each of the programs myself and that's tough to get.

That said, here's some things to note:

1. You're stuck with the associated program of the GPS that you buy for downloading maps to your GPS (assuming the model you bought lets you do this). Accuracy or the lack thereof is taken with a small grain of salt.

2. All other programs are typically used to manipulate your tracks in a way that the GPS program won't do.

3. Most of the programs will allow for live tracking when your GPS is hooked to your laptop.

My two cents.

Map products based on the USGS topo series will be the same for accuracy since they are the same map set. Where they will differ is on featurs and the quality of the graphics when you view the maps and print them. I've only used National Geographic Topo and I've heard they print very nice maps.

Magellan and Garmin topo maps are not as detailed as USGS products but like Totemlake said, you are stuck with them if you want maps on your GPS. In side by side comparisons insofar as geographical feature accuracy (does it show this canal, or that road) they were comperable. For practical use the accuracy of the features (is the road where it's supposed to be) they were close enough to use in the field, but I couldnt give you a number.

I only need basic, "address to GPS coordinate" accuracy. I dont need topo, but it would be whipped cream on the pie if available with excellent street / address data.

I do not need live tracking on my laptop or other features - just navigation from point A to B that lets me know I am over the right house. Therefore, I *could* be happy with simply a map program on my laptop that I could cut & paste coordinates into EasyGPS, then transfer to my Garmin.

DeLorme Street Atlas PLUS (DVD) can map a phone number. That is interesting. In some cases, I have a phone number. Hmmm. Some people dislike the DeLorme interface as it is awkward/but is it accurate - thats my priority. They says its used by emergency workers. I have an old version & its ok - Ive used it & it grew on me despite the oddities in the GUI. I wonder how this compares with ExpertGPS and Streets & Trips for address>coordinates accuracy. I like have as much data as possible local on my Hard Drive in case I dont have DSL on-location for updates. The DVD appeals to me.

Can someone cut through all this uncertainty with some testing?

Ive also heard that there inconsistencies in some mapping programs: soemthing like road names, perhaps I-20 becomes I20, then I 20. Are there conventions/standard practices in naming that are followed more consistently by some manufacturers?

I have to decide in 24 hrs. Is there anything that is terrible & to be avoided.

Thanks,

Paul

edited to remove demeaning language directed at innocent software packages :o

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl
I wonder how this compares with ExpertGPS and Streets & Trips for address>coordinates accuracy.

fyi, ExpertGPS contains no address data. It's scanned images of the USGS's topographic maps and also satellite images. It's coordinate accurracy is dead-on, as far as I can tell (and I'd expect no less, since it's based on USGS data).

Ive also heard that there inconsistencies in some mapping programs: soemthing like road names, perhaps I-20 becomes I20, then I 20. Are there conventions/standard practices in naming that are followed more consistently by some manufacturers?

I've not seen naming consistencies like mentioned, but I'd suppose they exist. More annoyingly, I've seen roads with names that I've never heard of or are rarely used. e.g. a state road commonly referred to by locals as "Route 518" and repeatedly marked as such by road signs is called something like "Lincoln Highway" in the software.

fyi, ExpertGPS contains no address data. It's scanned images of the USGS's topographic maps and also satellite images.

Nor does it contain any maps or images at all, unless you've previously acquired and saved them.

As others have said, Street Atlas (or Topo USA) (and the competitors), despite their peculiarities, are very nice to have as they come with ALL the maps available - nothing left to download.