Is it just me or ...

Csquared

I'm fairly new to this and seem to be having trouble with my approaches.

Last week it took me over an hour to climb a 1/4 mile up the side of a hill to find a cache. When I got there I found another trail that would have been much easier (ohhh, so much easier) if I had driven up the road another couple miles (I'm not kidding, lots of switchbacks). I always check the maps I have for trails and roads in the area but this isn't the first time I've made it much more difficult than necessary. When I'm by myself it's not a big deal but if I tried to drag my girlfriend on one of my treks I'd by in the doghouse for weeks.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

Yeah: click on the Topo feature on the cache page and stare at the map VERY CAREFULLY. Usually trails will be marked... but even if they aren't, you can get a pretty good idea on where to "get out of the car."

That's how I do it...

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Charlie - Unfortunately it's getting to be rattlesnake season out here and although I'm all for "interacting with flora and fauna", scrambling up a sunny rockface can get more dangerous than some itching. icon_biggrin.gif

Shoebox - thanks for the link. I have topos of the places I frequent most often but the last area I was in I only had the forest service map and neither the trail I started on nor the trail I ended up on were marked.

Pat - Unfortunately for this cache there are no logs (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13946) It's a two-parter and once I figure out the code I'll head out for the real stash.

Thanks for the input.

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

Charlie - Unfortunately it's getting to be rattlesnake season out here and although I'm all for "interacting with flora and fauna", scrambling up a sunny rockface can get more dangerous than some itching. icon_biggrin.gif

Shoebox - thanks for the link. I have topos of the places I frequent most often but the last area I was in I only had the forest service map and neither the trail I started on nor the trail I ended up on were marked.

Pat - Unfortunately for this cache there are no logs (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13946) It's a two-parter and once I figure out the code I'll head out for the real stash.

Thanks for the input.

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by TimC:

... When I'm by myself it's not a big deal but if I tried to drag my girlfriend on one of my treks I'd by in the doghouse for weeks.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

My wife doesn't "trek". She stays in the car while I'm on the hunt. Of course I'm still in the doghouse anyway. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:

... When I'm by myself it's not a big deal but if I tried to drag my girlfriend on one of my treks I'd by in the doghouse for weeks.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

My wife doesn't "trek". She stays in the car while I'm on the hunt. Of course I'm still in the doghouse anyway. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:

A lot of times, trails are not marked on USGS topo maps. That is why you can also check the cache coordinates on the NAPP aerial image data on our site (LostOutdoors).

Good Luck,

-jjf

I did the same thing to a lessor scale. I was following my gps and it lead me to a 'goat trail'. I hiked up this trail and when I got to the top I saw a nice paved pathway. The cache was not 5 feet off this path. To make things worse I had my 3 month old son in a front carrier. It must have looked real strange. icon_biggrin.gif

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

I did the same thing to a lessor scale. I was following my gps and it lead me to a 'goat trail'. I hiked up this trail and when I got to the top I saw a nice paved pathway. The cache was not 5 feet off this path. To make things worse I had my 3 month old son in a front carrier. It must have looked real strange. icon_biggrin.gif

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai