Breaking The Law! Breaking The Law!

avroair

Well, it happened again. I was at a cache today, crouching at some bushes when I heard" Can I help you" I didn't turn around and just said nah, I am looking for something. I then thought I should turn and there were 3 police cruisers and 3 cop cars. "

What are you doing in there?" Since I had a GPS and cache page in my hand I told them the truth... Nuthin'

Well... I then told them I was part of a scavenger hunt. And showed them my stuff, they checked my pockets, :o In guess in case I had a M16 hidden in there and asked me some questions. I answersed truthfully and they had asked if I had done any other caches. They had been tailing me since my last cache. I said yes, but hadn't found it (didn't want to let them know it was an ammo can).

An officer took my license number down while another went to look for the cache (it was Power Trip 3, so I knew he was going to log a DNF!). He came back handed back my GPS and said I was stupid to park at a school (I was actually parked across the street).

Anyhoo... after I explained the WG$ in my pocket they began to lose interest in me, myself and the geek that I am. They asked if there were any other caches... Yup, in 200 countries. That impressed them.

He then asked if I wanted to finish my hunt. 'No thanks' My adrendaline is running a little too high and I think I crapped my pants. Barnes and Noble for the rest of the day will be fine by me. I wish I had a logbook for them to sign :P

Well, they were about to leave and I realized that my car was .17 miles away so I ventured to ask for a ride. One officer complied, but asked if I was carrying a knife. No officer. (Phew! Glad I left the cutlass in the trunk!). He drove me back to my car and dropped me off just as all the kids were coming out of school. Many people just gawked at me, I said thanks and said "I'm undercover" to one of the moms. With that I stopped my afternoon suburban cache romp and went to Scourland Reservation for some quiet aone-time hiking in the woods. ;)

I bet you lost that british accent in a split second!! LOL

Nah, I enunciated every sylable, word, adverb and gerund. Gets me out of a spot of bother quite often. Parlour games, old boy, parlour games.

Spiffing wot! :o Tally ho!

Now if I can just find that crumpet I was eating while typing... ;)

Edited by avroair

DNF - Deportation Next Friday! :P

I think my wife tipped off the municipal police, she is always trying to move back to London. ;)

"Now, now... you can go caching in England too... and make some new geocaching buddies over there!"

(She can be so patronizing!) (pronounced pat-ron-ny-zing) :o

Is there a cache for being stopped at a cache by a cop? If there is one for a speeding ticket, there should be one for this

Yes but how do you explain the need to photograph him holding your gps unit? (which would presumably be the required proof to log such a find)

"I need this for my records?"

Forget having brass ones, you need platinum ones to ask for that after just being interogated!

Maybe you should wait until the weekend to do any caches that are near schools.

I merely parked across from the school. The cache was .15 miles away, over by some power lines :D

Yes but how do you explain the need to photograph him holding your gps unit?

Nah, just get him to sign the logbook! :D

If you had parked next to the power lines 50 feet from the cache, the police wouldn't be able to pin the school thing on you.

Instead, it would have been the power line thing.

The police were not so concerned about parking across from the school. They were more concerned that I had the GPS and was looking for a container. All three were actually very polite and cordial in an aggressive sort of way. :lol:

I've really only had only 2 incidents with th e police. The first was with a Berkly Heights cop in Watchung Reservation. He was looking for someone that stole a car. He actually told me "I'll let you go, for now" and took down all my info (DL #, name, address, etc. The other incident was last at Ramapo Valley Reservation. We got out after dark and there was a county cop waiting for us on the main trail/road back to the parking lot. I just told her that I under estimated how quickly it was getting dark (and that was the truth) and she was fine with it.

BTW I like the Judas Priest reference - I was a big fan back in the day.

Evidently I must look scarier than you. On my second cache I was having trouble with muggles so I went out at 6AM. Tramping all over the place in the tall grass under a major bridge to a tourist area right before a big summer holiday. I finally look up from the ground and there's a police car out at the street just sitting there. There is no reason for a cop to stop in the street at that place. I figure the jig is up so I start walking out of the weeds toward the police car to explain why I'm down here near the bridge supports at 6AM. As I went behind a bush to get to the sidewalk the car speeds off. Evidently the cop was in no mood to confront terrorists alone at 6AM. I expected a group of them to come back and rather than leave and make them hunt for what I might have left I figured I'd just go back to searching for the cache. Spent another 20 minutes looking and still didn't find it but the cops never came back. The SWAT truck must have been hard to start that morning.

BTW, a piece of advice; if you're a drug dealer doing a drop, stencil Geocache Game Piece on the package and carry a GPS. No one will bother you. :lol:

>snip<

BTW, a piece of advice; if you're a drug dealer doing a drop, stencil Geocache Game Piece on the package and carry a GPS. No one will bother you. :lol:

You know - that's funny.

I always feel like I look as if I'm up to something nefarious rehiding an urban geocache. Either a drug dealer stashing something - or a covert operative contacting his handler. With all this "patriot act" and "keep up your guard" stuff lately - I'm just waiting to get reported.

One of the reasons I don't like urban micros - I don't blend (phrase credit: Harrald).

Ha! You're all green-horns. :lol:

We got stopped and interrogated by the Secret Service and CIA on Thanksgiving morning, 2001.

After finding the cache and exiting the woods, we were swarmed by four black suburbans and two local police cars.

What a wild event!

Needless to say, whenever the local PD stops me, I tell them to look up my permanent record down in Washington. :D

BTW, at least one SUV followed us all the way back to my brothers house in VA. :D

Edited by ekitt10
Ha! You're all green-horns. :lol:

We got stopped and interrogated by the Secret Service and CIA on Thanksgiving morning, 2001.

After finding the cache and exiting the woods, we were swarmed by four black suburbans and two local police cars.

What a wild event!

Needless to say, whenever the local PD stops me, I tell them to look up my permanent record down in Washington. :D

BTW, at least one SUV followed us all the way back to my brothers house in VA. :D

It's very funny that my friends, & fellow Met fans, from NJ, are the only ones "interrogated by the Secert Service at a cache with around 150 finds.

Your story is exactly the reason why I don't like hunting caches in built up areas. Being confronted by armed police officers would not be so funny if they mistook that GPS in your hand for a weapon when you turned around suddenly, and opened fire. Doing these kind of hunts in the dark, or around dusk or dawn only adds to the risk. There are worse things than being deported, ask Amadou Diallo's mother.

Is there a cache for being stopped at a cache by a cop?  If there is one for a speeding ticket, there should be one for this

Theres a cache for a speeding ticket? How do I find it.. got one on vacation in Florida in July..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14548

Darn.. I don't think I qualify... Was going down I95 at 95 by St Augusting FL on my way south and don't think I actually logged into a geocache until the next day.. will dig out the ticket and see... :wacko:

That kinda happened to me also on my street no less!! we were doing BlackJack in the Blackness.. a night cache and some of the people on my street called the cops cuz they saw "suspicious people walking into the woods and using flashlights"

it was hysterical.. luckily we were at the final cache site when the three officers stormed through the woods (through the spider webs hehe) to where we were.. we explained what we were doing, showed them the cache.. almost asked them to sign the log :wacko: they were good humored about it but asked that we post a note for people to call them to at least let them know that they will be in there so if people call they won't come out.. :wacko:

asked that we post a note for people to call them to at least let them know that they will be in there so if people call they won't come out..  B)

For some reason, I'm having trouble parsing this last bit. Sentence diagram?

I believe they're saying that the cops asked to be alerted in advance if folks were hunting that cache, so that if suspicious non-cachers saw folks in the woods and called the cops, the cops would know why and wouldn't go check it out.

The sentence "diagram" looks like this: <--------------------------------------------------------------------------> .

B)

asked that we post a note for people to call them to at least let them know that they will be in there so if people call they won't come out..  :P

For some reason, I'm having trouble parsing this last bit. Sentence diagram?

Gawd.. I've taught middle school too long. It made sense to me the first time. :laughing: