Schools

gm100guy

I did a search and it came up with 43 pages, I was not going through them to find a thread.

Cache on School grounds

I think that this is great to use a cache to teach about anything you want. But I don't think caches should be placed on or at schools. They are areas that I find that have limited access and somewhere that you can get in trouble if you are caught hanging around.

I do some work in schools and it seems to me that alot of them now have cameras and other devices around them and I don't want to be seen hunting around the grounds. And I also think that they are really private property in the eyes of the law. Thats why they can charge you even to use the outside grounds now.

What do others think. There are enough other places to hide caches other then schools.

For all cache types please be sensible when choosing your location for cache placement. Please be aware of what may be a perceived to a non geocacher as dangerous or questionable behavior.  For example, suspicious looking characters wandering about near an elementary school.  The land may be public property, but keep in mind what is on the other side of that property line.

:o

Edited by gm100guy

I work in the school system and I would definately suggest that cachers stay clear of school grounds and areas. It would be a shame to have the geocaching game given a black spot over an incedent around children. There are so many better places to put caches than around schools. As an employee at a school and being responsible for child safety, I don't like seeing people snooping around school yards. Just not a good idea. I think most cachers are aware of this and use common sense. :o

Edited by Chillibusher
I did a search and it came up with 43 pages, I was not going through them to find a thread.

Cache on School grounds

I think that this is great to use a cache to teach about anything you want. But I don't think caches should be placed on or at schools. They are areas that I find that have limited access and somewhere that you can get in trouble if you are caught hanging around.

I do some work in schools and it seems to me that alot of them now have cameras and other devices around them and I don't want to be seen hunting around the grounds. And I also think that they are really private property in the eyes of the law. Thats why they can charge you even to use the outside grounds now.

What do others think. There are enough other places to hide caches other then schools.

For all cache types please be sensible when choosing your location for cache placement. Please be aware of what may be a perceived to a non geocacher as dangerous or questionable behavior.  For example, suspicious looking characters wandering about near an elementary school.  The land may be public property, but keep in mind what is on the other side of that property line.

:o

There's nothing wrong with a schools so long as you don't hunt the cache during school hours. I imagine some of the kids in the class like the cache? Unfortunately, a lot of geocachers aren't to bright so perhaps there should be some way to ensure they don't visit the grounds while school is in session. The example you linked to suggested night caching. That would work.

I don't think there's any reason it shouldn't be allowed. I do agree that "Unfortunately, a lot of geocachers aren't to bright". However in Canada we have a two month summer when essentially no one is there (which is prime gc'ing time), and school is only ~7am-6pm or so (if you include after school stuff and teachers), it's even specifically listed as a night friendly cache. So as long as it's done after school is out then IMHO it's no biggy. And that doesn't even account for spring break (March break) or Christmas holidays. Further the page even points out that at least a teacher knows about it (if not the principal, entire staff, and the board)

Thorin

Edited by thorin

A further thought. Technically, schools are private property, and generally tend to be scrutinized fairly closely by the police (at least in my area) to prevent "The over-exuberance of youth from creating mischief" . Personally, I would stay away from schools for several reasons. First and foremost, it's neither my own nor public/crown property, therefore I probably don't have the Groundspeak required permission to place a 'cache there, and two, the last thing I need is Constable Smedley tapping me on the shoulder to inquire exactly what it is I am doing... :rolleyes:

My experience has been somewhat different re: the ownership of school property. (I also am on a school board)

At least in one case, the community helped fund the building of the playground on school property, and the outdoor skating rink.

Since the community funded some of it, there is an expecation that the grounds are open to public. (Of course this would be expected to be after hours. )

For the most part around where I live school play areas are treated like public parks after school hours. I take my kids there to play, skate, and I've even metal detected on properties without issue to date. The only time I've been approached by Police while metal detecting was in a public park. An overly cautious neighbor called in a report of a guy lost in the park with a "weed wacker". The officer and I shared a laugh over that one.

This may not mean that they are the best places for caches, just my experience. It may vary by region, and unless the school yard is in a particlarly interesting location, what's the draw? I'd rather find a cache in a cool place, and in the process learn about an interesting location.

First off, I must say that hiding a cache on school property is probably not a good idea for all the reaons stated and also because it may be discovered by the kids!

I've been approached by Police while metal detecting was in a public park. An overly cautious neighbor called in a report of a guy lost in the park with a "weed wacker". The officer and I shared a laugh over that one.

Hahaha!! That's funny.

What type of metal detector do you use? I have a basic Radio Shack model that's suitable for finding the trunk lid of a Buick buried 2 inches underground. I thought of buying a Whites, but it soon became evident that I'd have to spend 600$+ for one that would do the job properly.

Cheers!

C-A

A further thought.  Technically, schools are private property, and generally tend to be scrutinized fairly closely by the police (at least in my area) to prevent "The over-exuberance of youth from creating mischief" .  Personally, I would stay away from schools for several reasons.  First and foremost, it's neither my own nor public/crown property, therefore I probably don't have the Groundspeak required permission to place a 'cache there, and two, the last thing I need is Constable Smedley tapping me on the shoulder to inquire exactly what it is I am doing...  :D

Good points (by everyone). IMHO, I would likely agree that placing a physical cache container on school property might not be a "great" idea, primarily from the point made above and in that it might attract unwanted attention by media that might shed a negative light on the activity. Schools here quite often hand out "red" stranger alerts about suspicious activity to students to take home to their parents. I could see some headline like "pedophile with backpack and cellphone seen lurking around ___________. If seen, please contact the local law enforcement agency."

On the other hand, some schools offer a good opportunity for incorporation into a part of a multi since virtuals are basically no longer allowed. For example, one school here built in 1929 is now one of the oldest schools in the area due to arson. A bronze plaque commemorates the dedication and coords could ask a cacher to locate the names and/or dates involved. Also, as mentioned above, some schools are a part of a community park and the school property is shared property.

I still think that I would shy from placing caches that are listed on a cache listing service on school property though.

Regarding the cache in question. I went to find this cache yesterday and I see absolutely nothing wrong with where the cache was placed. It is so far away from the actual school building that there really needn't have any concern about it, even during school hours, and the title practically gives away the hiding spot. It is at the very edge of the school grounds, if it even is school grounds at that point still and there is a close entry point that you don't have to walk anywhere near the school or the play fields. I think the cache placer in this case is experienced enough and made a good choice of his cache placement.

We really shouldn't judge a cache until we actually attempt it, since as we all know from our caching experiences, most caches when we actually do them are different than what we perceived in our minds before hand. If anyone wants to have an issue about a school cache, then Fence would be a good choice on a poorly placed and thoughtout cache.