Garmin 60cs Shutdown

Today I was geocaching with my 60CS mounted in a Garmin holder on the dash of my truck.

When I went to remove it from the holder the screen went blank. This just started happening.

I tried it 6 times and as I removed it from the holder the screen went blank. It started at the top of the page and went down to the bottom.

I tried hitting enter and all the other buttons to get the working screen back up with no luck.

I had to hit the power button to start it up again.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Valley Vanquishers........ :o

Today I was geocaching with my 60CS mounted in a Garmin holder on the dash of my truck.

When I went to remove it from the holder the screen went blank. This just started happening.

I tried it 6 times and as I removed it from the holder the screen went blank. It started at the top of the page and went down to the bottom.

I tried hitting enter and all the other buttons to get the working screen back up with no luck.

I had to hit the power button to start it up again.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Valley Vanquishers........ :o

Any chance you had it hooked up to the Cig lighter and unplugged it?

I believe the default setting is for the unit to shout off in 10 seconds once it loses power.

If not it sounds like you may have a unit with a loose battery compartment.

Edited by jollybgood

Not sure if this is related, but I saw on the Garmin site that some software revisions fixed issues with spontaneous shutdowns. You might want to make sure you have the latest firmware installed in your unit.

Not sure if this is related, but I saw on the Garmin site that some software revisions fixed issues with spontaneous shutdowns. You might want to make sure you have the latest firmware installed in your unit.

Hopefully this is one of the simple questions... I just got the Garmin 60cs. How do I check what version the unit software is?

- GeoIA

I don't have batteries in my unit to tell you how to check the firmware version, but the best thing to do is to go to the garmin website and simply download and install the latest version. Both of my 60CS units came with older versions. . .

Another example of RTFM. ;) I did finally find it in the manual. Go to the system setup menu and then hit menu. The option to see the software version is there. By the way the current sw version for the 60cs is 3.50.

- GeoIA

Edited by GeoIA

This weekend past my 60C started to shut down after running for 4 min. The unit was connected to the cig light for power. I thought there was a problem with the power connector. I disconnected the external power and ran the unit on battery power. It still shut down after 4 min. After thinking about it for a few mins I had my wife delete the track log. The track log was over 3000 Km in size. After that the unit started working fine. It looks like the unit had a issue with the size of the track log.

Baston

Just wanted to chime in and and say Garmin still hasn't fixed the software bug that causes a crash/shutdown at certain locations (at least in Northern Virginia) when you are on the map page with guidance text turned on. This bug has been present since the beta versions between 3.4 and 3.5, and remains present in v3.5.

It is frustrating because I have to remember to switch from the map page to the compass page quickly before I hit the "hot spots" to keep my 60cs from shutting off! :rolleyes: Actually, what I've done lately is just turn off "guidance text," but I miss it. I like having the cross-street names come up before I reach them. The other alternative is to go back to v3.4, which I'll do if Garmin never gives us a v3.6.

For those in the NoVA area, one hotspot in particular is Route 7 crossing over I-495. There are others. And you *will* see it -- the crash happens every time, it's not like it happens only some of the time!

I'm mentioning this again in case Garmin is listening. I've submitted a bug report to them, but never heard anything back.

This weekend past my 60C started to shut down after running for 4 min. The unit was connected to the cig light for power. I thought there was a problem with the power connector. I disconnected the external power and ran the unit on battery power. It still shut down after 4 min. After thinking about it for a few mins I had my wife delete the track log. The track log was over 3000 Km in size. After that the unit started working fine. It looks like the unit had a issue with the size of the track log.

Baston

That is an interesting point about data size contributing to shut-down. I experience a similar but opposite issue. Living close to the border of three countries, I normally have loaded sections from 3 different street maps plus 1 topo, when the unit is stressed trying to display data from multiple sources on one map page, the 60CS gets stuck "on" I can not switch it off, and have to unload the batteries to turn it off. It only happens in this situation.

Aside from this one issue I love my 60CS. Just hoping this will be fixed in an upcoming update release.