Why don't people...

BeOnTheLookOut

Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. This just irks me! Don't people want to know how many have been there? I guess you could check the online logs. But what about the surprise in the hunt?

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

Are you saying some cachers in your area number their logs in the log book? Don't think I have never seen it in my area.

I for one don't really care if I am #2 or number #200 to log a cache. If I noticed others were doing it at a particular cache, I probably would too, but other than that, not a big deal for me.

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

I don't think I've ever seen a numbered log book in a cache either, except in a micro. I think the micros are numbered just to encourage people to keep the entries short - just a name & date. I generally don't care what number visitor I am, unless I get the 'First to Find'.

It's also common around here to find that people are playing the game and finding the caches, but not logging their finds on the geocaching website or the cache pages. I've seen many names in the local cache log books that I've never seen on the website. Consequently, the number of finds and the number of logs on the site rarely match.

Don't get me wrong though: if I had made a log book with numbers for each entry and the finders didn't follow the sequence, it would probably bug me a bit too.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

but not logging their finds on the geocaching website or the cache pages. I've seen many names in the local cache log books that I've never seen on the website

There are other geocaching web sites that these visitors may be logging their finds. I have some of my caches listed on other sites, as well as, geocaching.com so that may help explain why you may not always see the logs here on geocaching.com Happy caching!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by BeOnTheLookOut:

Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. _This just irks me!_ Don't people want to know how many have been there?

I'm still unclear on what the complaint is... icon_confused.gif

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

quote:
Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. This just irks me...

What is the "numbering sequence in the log books"? I never heard of it.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Who visit a cache, sign the logbook, but never log it here. And my caches are only listed here. Unless there is a mirror site I don't know about. Is there?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. _This just irks me!_

Most of the log books Ive found are actually NOT numbered. Is it different in your area?

The only one I recall that was, had been numbered because the visitors had gotten out of order (Cacher A signs the log, Cacher B flips two pages leaving a blank one inbetween and signs the log. Then Cacher C signs on the same page as A, and D signs the blank page...). And it wasnt really needed because most of the entries were dated anyways.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Haven't seen the numbering of logs on any of the ones I have found yet.

I personally actually loathe writing in the logs and try to keep it brief. I'd rather make my log online. My handwriting is bad enough to begin with, -as many will soon agree to as more people see my henscratch handwriting. icon_smile.gif

The handwriting was even worse than normal yesterday when I was kneeling in snow on a 30 degree day -15 mile per hour wind, freezing water in my boot from putting a foot through the ice in a creek bed. Doing my "Last one" because I was getting tired and worried about the way a couple of toes were beginning to feel. icon_smile.gif

Even then, I was only cold at the end of an otherwise very fun day.

In the end, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was *this morning* when I had to GO BACK OUT to get the serial# off the Bug I left in order to log the move. (Ooops!)

Dry feet this time, but it was 12 degrees and a 25mph wind that greeted me this time. Chilly.

I didn't do any more caches today. Went to the sports show at the nice warm convention center instead.

SA / PP-ASEL-I

quote:

Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. _This just irks me!_ Don't people want to know how many have been there? I guess you could check the online logs. But what about the surprise in the hunt?

You've been with us for a little over a month, Wait until you lose a TB, or a cache to get irked.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

quote:

Why don't people keep up with the numbering sequence in the log books. _This just irks me!_ Don't people want to know how many have been there? I guess you could check the online logs. But what about the surprise in the hunt?

Another "expert" after 5 finds.

I've cached in 4-5 different states, and I've never seen cachers number the logs either. Maybe you mean you want people to write what number found that cache was for them? If that's the case, I see where you're going. The thing is, not all of us chase the numbers. My GF can tell you how many she has (she reminded me last night that she needs 13 more to hit 100), but I have a stack of caches in front of me that need to be logged yet, and all I know without looking is I am over 100, but don't think I've hit 150 yet. Since we usually sign the logbook together, and I have no clue what my find count is, we dont usually write it in the logbook. I do include it in my online logs, since then I know it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

a complete dogging session on me. I am not an expert cacher after my five finds. I have been to other caches that are not in this area with other members from around the country. I was simply stating an opinion. I thought that it would be interesting to see just how many people have actually written in the log book with out having to go back and count every last name and entry. People do forget to log the site after they visit a cache. Not every log (the book or the site) is going to be accurate. My apologies for instigating such an uproar...

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

quote:

I am not an expert cacher after my five finds. I have been to other caches that are not in this area with other members from around the country. I was simply stating an opinion.

Actually you said you were "irked" because people are not doing something that is not a common practice. You seemed distinctly critical of the normal practice. "Newbie-bashing" does happen, but it doesn't need to, depending on the tone of your post.

Granted, some of the responses could have been a lot more friendly, but it looked in your original post like you were criticizing the rest of us based on a misperception. Experience generally corrects misperceptions based on a limited sampling of caches.

Phrasing in the form of a question is not only appropriate when playing Jeopardy, it can make the responses more helpful than if you use a tone that is more confrontational.

quote:
I thought that it would be interesting to see just how many people have actually written in the log book with out having to go back and count every last name and entry.

You could have asked it like this in the first place. I have never heard of anyone doing this until this post from you. It is not the norm around my area.

Why is it important to you to know how many people have logged a cache before you?

Another "newbie",

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

interesting to know how many people have been there is all. I am here to learn.....

quote:

interesting to know how many people have been there is all. I am here to learn.....

Having read all three of your posts in this thread Im still not sure What In The Heck you're asking. icon_redface.gif

You want to know have many have been where?? To the cache?? And you're "Irked" because not everyone (or anyone for that matter) write which visitor they are to the cache?? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

"Thought it would be..

interesting to know how many people have been there is all"

Since you seem to be the only one who cares how many has been there already, then why don't you simply count how many there are in the log book.

Gee quit expecting the rest of the world to cater to you.

If I wanted to know how many had been there before me I would count them myself, not go whinning on a public forum.

One thing I have a pet peeve about is losers who can't help themselves and expects others to do everything for them.