Never To Return To Topic

D & K

Have you ever noticed that someone will ask a question or ask for advice and they will get 10 - 15 - 20 responses from others, the replys may give the answers or advice, they may ask for more info from the orginator....but for some reason the person whom asked the question never returns to their own topic, not even to say thank you.

Why is that?

for some reason the person whom asked the question never returns to their own topic, not even to say thank you.

Why is that?

Some guesses.

If they're brand new posters they may not remember how to get back. I've had that happen to me. I find a forum to ask my question then forget where it is.

I see this behavior in newsgroups constantly. I've guessed the person did come back, got their answer and didn't do the courtesy of leaving a thank you. I try to say thanks but sometimes I forget. Also, if I hope to get more replies I'm concerned a thanks will cut them off, then after enough time passes I forget to do it.

I suspect sometimes they get their answer somewhere else and have no reason to return.

As someone who recently did this, let me enlighten you. The person who asked the question can not provide any further input to the conversation unless there are further things that require clarification. To simply say "thankyou" is polite in normal conversation, but on a message board it just wastes everybody else's time. Few people want to open up a thread just to find that the only new message is "thanks everybody."

edit: In my particular case, I also wanted to see the discussion play out to its full extent before deciding whether I had a worthwhile comment to make.

Edited by Wooden Bystander
As someone who recently did this, let me enlighten you. The person who asked the question can not provide any further input to the conversation unless there are further things that require clarification. To simply say "thankyou" is polite in normal conversation, but on a message board it just wastes everybody else's time. Few people want to open up a thread just to find that the only new message is "thanks everybody."

edit: In my particular case, I also wanted to see the discussion play out to its full extent before deciding whether I had a worthwhile comment to make.

Hmmm...I didn't realize this...and have been making a POINT to go back to a thread that has had my question answered and left with a "thank you!" If this is truly the way it is, I will stop doing that...but I have noticed other people also closing with a "thanks". I would find it PERSONALLY more satisfying if I *knew* someone had gotten my response to their thread and acknowledged it. I know on other MBs that I frequent, it is always considered polite to go back and acknowledge the responses...that is weird that here it would not be? But hey, it's a different site so maybe different etiquette applies?

pam :lol:

Hmmm...I didn't realize this...and have been making a POINT to go back to a thread that has had my question answered and left with a "thank you!" If this is truly the way it is, I will stop doing that...but I have noticed other people also closing with a "thanks". I would find it PERSONALLY more satisfying if I *knew* someone had gotten my response to their thread and acknowledged it. I know on other MBs that I frequent, it is always considered polite to go back and acknowledge the responses...that is weird that here it would not be? But hey, it's a different site so maybe different etiquette applies?

pam :o

I wouldn't worry about it. I would close a thread with a thanks and have. It's a matter of courtesy which some seem to think is unnecessary in the forums.

Well, THOT made me a bigger avatar, and now I notice that the new avatar is on my previous posts. does that mean the new one is on ALL my past posts from days gone by? (It'll make some of the posts that dealt with Bandit's avatar senseless...)

When you change your avatar or signature line, It is updated onto every single post you've ever made in the forums.

uperdooper

Wow! 7000 posts in 10 months!!

if the off topic posts counted it would be closer to 8,000.

on topic. i always appreciate it when someone lets me know that i've helped them in some way. i've started a few topics and when i got the info i needed i closed the thread after thanking everyone for their help.

Have you ever noticed that someone will ask a question or ask for advice and they will get 10 - 15 - 20 responses from others, the replys may give the answers or advice, they may ask for more info from the orginator....but for some reason the person whom asked the question never returns to their own topic, not even to say thank you.

Why is that?

1) I think the majority (though not all ... see 2.iv below) people come back and read the replies.

2) They may not say thank you because:

i ) They end up being flamed.

ii ) A lot of parents don't impress upon their children the value of saying please and thank you anymore.

iii ) Because a lot of people in the world believe the world somehow owes them something (though most of the time they're completely wrong). Since we're all volunteers and just helpful people around here you definately owe me an answer just because I bothered to register right? (NOT)

iv ) They have no attention span, and have forgotten they even posted a question 30 to 40mins after they did it.

v ) They asked a question and then decided to use the search feature , actually manage to find the info they needed (image that eh?) and don't bother to return to their post or are to ashamed (should be) to reply and say thanks or that they've found the answer.

Thanks for listening (reading) :rolleyes:

Thorin

Edited by thorin
When you change your avatar or signature line, It is updated onto every single post you've ever made in the forums.

Thanks for the explanation.

That's not completely true. It's not like they update every post in the DB when you change them. They're just not included in your posts they added (displayed) dynamically as the page is displayed. So whatever they currently are is displayed along with your posts (new or old).

Thorin

but for some reason the person whom asked the question never returns to their own topic, not even to say thank you.

Why is that?

Have you noticed that someone will ask a question about why people never return to topic and then they themselves will not return to their topic even though there are 15+ responses? :rolleyes::o:o:o

That's not completely true. It's not like they update every post in the DB when you change them. They're just not included in your posts they added (displayed) dynamically as the page is displayed. So whatever they currently are is displayed along with your posts (new or old).

Thorin

But I keep coming back, I'm a good dog.

but for some reason the person whom asked the question never returns to their own topic, not even to say thank you.

Why is that?

Have you noticed that someone will ask a question about why people never return to topic and then they themselves will not return to their topic even though there are 15+ responses? :D:D:lol::o

I did notice that and was going to comment too! Didn't even thank any of you for answering the question. :D