Pocket Queries

Niss Feiner

You created your query at 6:11 pm, and it was generated at 6:19 pm. The PQ server sent you an email and it was delivered to your ISP's mail server a few seconds later.

However, the size of the email was way too small, so I suspect your query didn't find any caches. But you still should have received an email. If you didn't get the email, check to see if your spam filters gobbled up the message.

:P Elias

I guess I need to ask, too.

I created a query earlier today, and I noted that it generated almost immediately, but I haven't gotten the query several hours later.

I've gotten many successful queries in the past, and I don't recall having changed anything.

In any case, I set the query to run tomorrow and the day after before I leave for my caching trip. Hopefully it'll get at least one of those to me by then.

Jamie

Has your ISP changed anything, like adding a spam or virus filter?

Well, I was gone for three months... now I'm using a friend's computer. But my email address is through hotmail and always has been, so there should be no difference.

All those webmail providers are always updating and modifying their spam filters. Your query was delivered to Hotmail 48 seconds after it was generated, so you should have received it. It looks like you changed your query to use a different address so if you don't get today's query, let me know and I'll check the logs for you.

:lol: Elias

Has your ISP changed anything, like adding a spam or virus filter?

Well, I was gone for three months... now I'm using a friend's computer. But my email address is through hotmail and always has been, so there should be no difference.

Jamie

And Hotmail has a size limit per e-mail as well as a total space used limit. Are you close to either of those?

Make sure that you requested the PQ to be zipped.
Yup.

And Hotmail has a size limit per e-mail as well as a total space used limit. Are you close to either of those?
Perhaps, but I have the premium membership. Two gigs of storage and 20meg attachment limit.

Must be hotmail, though. The PQ went right through to my school account today. My caching weekend is on!

Anyone else have hotmail trouble? I checked my blocked list, it's all good. I have no idea. I'll probably try again and see what happens.

Jamie

What's more interesting to me about this issue is that Hotmail doesn't bounce the mail we send out. Their servers accept the message and somehow it gets lost or filtered in the Hotmail ether. So they're not returning to my mail server any rejection message or other diagnostic information. Weird.

:o Elias

Changing the thread slightly..... be ready for service issues.

~ taking deep breathe in preparation for venting ~

My last Homail Customer Service inquiry:

"I have a problem with option A, but option B works fine"

2 days later...

Service desk: "Was your computer turned on when you were trying to perform this option?"

My reply: "Yes, it was. And Option B is still working, Option A still does not work" (I wanted to make a reference that option B works when the computer is off, but I didn't want to confuse anyone any more than they are)

4 days later, the service desk replies:

"Since you are having problems with option B, we need to differ this to higher tier level"

I replied with " No, Option B works fine, Option A does not work"

Still seven days and no answer.

Hmmm....

Edited by Moose Mob
We have been getting increasing emails from other hotmail users about this problem. I suggest contacting hotmail since you are a premium member and lobby them to fix this. This is what we have been telling those users to do as well.

While we are on the subject, I had a similar problem. I would get the PQ's and weekly notifications but stopped receiving logs for caches I own. I wrote geocaching.com, they checked it out and suggested I look at things that I may have done like, 'change virus protection?', etc. Then I was told to contact my ISP, which is in Baja, Mexico, so no I didn't contact them. What I did do was change my profile to another email address and now I get everything again.

I suspect my ISP had some problems around that time because I got a snail mail from Capital One asking me for a valid email address as the old one was bouncing email. What I don't understand to this day is why did I get PQ's and weekly notifications at the old address but not log notifications? Life is like that sometimes.

I also made a one-time PQ about an hour ago and I still have not recieved it. I sent it to my gmail.com account.

edit: i went back and looked at it...it seems I have to select a day also, so I checked Thurs and resubmitted it.

Edited by crash331

OK, I'm having the same problem. I normally run my PQ unzipped (somehow there is some setting on my computer so when I double-click the file, it automatically launches EasyGPS and I end up losing the extended info that I want for the PDA).

I also have to say that I "upgraded" XP service pack yesterday. And my ISP is Comcast (via cable).

Now, having said all that, I ran 2 PQ's about 1:30 and 1:45 PST. They did not make it to my computer. I read this forum, and decided to log out of the e-mail on my home computer (in case the XP "upgrade" is filtering out the PQ). I set up 2 new PQ's, which ran about 15 minutes ago. This time, I zipped them, and also am looking at my e-mail via the internet (not a mail program) on my laptop, which has not been "upgraded". This should allow me to view what's on the Comcast server (so far, my PQ has not shown up, and Comcast says there are no service issues). I was planning to save the files to my laptop (which does not have EasyGPS installed, so I should be able to unzip them without losing data), then log onto my home computer to see if the zipped files showed up. Then, was going to try to e-mail the unzipped files from the laptop to the home computer to see if the trouble was with the filetype.

Needless to say, the zipped PQ's have not shown up on the Comcast server.

Help! I need these PQ's for my weekend trip!

I have been using Netscape mail for a very long time for my PQ's. The regular ones I have set to run every Friday never did run today.... at least they hadn't when I checked a couple hours ago. The "one time" PQ I put in for tonight was generated in minutes, but took two hours to show up in my Netscape account.

Weird.

I'm going to go check again and see if my Friday PQ's ran......