Is There A Way To Search For Nearest Unfound Cache

Ben & JJ

On your "My Cache Page" in the upper right corner is an option to search for nearest caches, provided you have entered your home coordinates. (That option is there to)

The "Filter Finds" selection will only show unfound caches. This does not require a membership.

Good Luck!

Edit: typo

Edited by Elf Danach

Go to the regional forums and click on your individual state. A search list will come up with the most recently approved caches. Those that haven't been found will not have a date found. This is the easiest way (IMO) to find unfound caches. You have to check frequently to insure catching a chance at being FTF. Of course there is always the honor of being STF (Second to Find), TTF (Third to Find) and then the honors for 4th and 5th.

Edited by Team Madog
If your just a regular old member how do you find caches no one else has found.

Markwell Posted on Sep 1 2004, 03:17 PM

With a non-membership, you can search on nearby caches (use the F=1 filter to narrow if you'd like), but caches that are completely unfound will not have a date in the "Last Found" column on the right. 

That does not necessitate membership.

Sorry about the length...

I keep a link to the state search page results, which shows the most recently approved caches in chronological order. I just click on the link and BAM! I'm there. From any GC.com (not the forums) page, click on "Hide & Seek a Cache", then do a search by State. Your State's page is located here, BTW. Just copy the address and add it to your favorites. Unfortunately, because of where you live there will be a lot of new caches that are as much as 600 miles away... that are still in the state! That's a lot of caches to look through on the off chance that there's a new one near you.

In order to simplify your life and searching, I would highly recommend becoming a Premium Member, which will allow you to run Pocket Queries(PQ's). PQ's are very customizable searches of the GC.com database, which only return the results you are looking for. You can have up to 20 different searches set up and saved to run when you need them. For instance, you can create a search that returns only unfound caches - in order of distance from your home coordinates or, search for "only those caches with TB's" or "exclude micros". After running a PQ, I then upload all the waypoints electronically to my GPS'rs(3 of them) in seconds! I then upload the cache pages into my PDA. No more waiting to print ---each ---individual ---page ---out!

You can read about Premium Membership here. It's only $3.00 per month, even less ($2.50/month) if you opt to 'take the plunge' and opt for an annual membership. It well worth the money, IMHO. (just make certain to read the whole page; WHY they put the 'enter your number here' at the top of the page is beyond me) Oh, there are 2 unfound caches within 12 miles of California and S. Arroyo in Pasadena. GCJH15 and GCK7WA, in case you are interested. There are also 30 unfound caches within a 100 mile radius and 229 total caches within ten miles of that intersection. You've got your work cut out for you. :D

:D WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION! :blink: