Zip Code Data Needs Tweaking

Team DEMP

During a discussion in the thread at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1050601 it seems that gc.com isn't using the most appropriate name to identify zip codes.

I'd assume the zip code data (zip, city, state, lat, long) is being loaded into a table from some data source that gc.com is obtaining. Some zip codes only have 1 city name associated while others have 2 or more. It appears that for those that have 2 or more, gc.com is using the city name from the 2nd record.

Example:

07501 shows Paterson

07502 shows Hillcrest

Go to http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.htm and enter in both zip codes and you'll see 07502 should be Paterson as Hillcrest shows "Not acceptable".

Example:

07424 shows Great Notch

Go to http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.htm and enter in 07424 and you'll see that Great Notch is the 2nd record (out of 5) and again is not the correct, default, record for that zip code.

I'm sure updates have to occur on some semi-frequent basis as new zip codes are added all the time. But aside from having all the zip codes in the DB, what does it matter if the city name shows different? My work zip code shows two different names depending on which zip code database a company uses. The way the coords center on that zip code aren't all that accurate, so whats the difference??? :P

Uh, yeah, of course coords are more accurate. I wasn't saying they weren't. I was pointing out a likely issue with the way that the zip code data was processed into the database.

So yes, all your comments are valid though irrelevant to the point of my original post. None address the fact that the incorrect city name is referenced for those zip codes that have multiple city names associated to them.

I was pointing out a likely issue with the way that the zip code data was processed into the database.

The data in the database is "correct" in the sense that we put it in there correctly. The data itself was purchased some time ago (probably over a year now) through a company that supposedly compiled that data from the Postal Service. Its certainly possible that there are errors in the data and/or the data has changed since we purchased it. Every now and then we buy updated data so at some point we'll update it and hopefully some of these inconsistencies in the data will be corrected.

:lol: Elias

None address the fact that the incorrect city name is referenced for those zip codes that have multiple city names associated to them.

I followed recent threads on the "topics" forum that addressed this issue that might shed some light on the subject for you. Meanwhile, you might try this to see if it answers your question about the NAMES given.

Enter your zip on the main page. when that page is up, click on the "Map It" icon.

Copy the LATS/LONS that are shown in the URL and open up TOPOZONE and click

on "view maps". Enter those coords on the form and you can get a USGS Quad map that shows the area with the coords at dead center. (toggle the "show target" button and update the map to see the spot displayed) that is the Centroid of the ZIP, and the NAME of the MAP will be the name you get associated with the ZIP you entered.

OK? You get the name of a USGS Map that may or may not be the name of your city.

It worked at my end, does it yours?