Adding Car Adapter To A 4-pin>garmin Serial Cable

Im looking at the Garmin 76S 4-pin round Garmin connector to computer serial connector / data cable that came in the 76S kit. Does the cable have power wires in it that are unused? Can I add a 12V auto "cigarette lighter" plug on 2-conductor "zip cord" wire?

THE GARMIN SERIAL DATA CABLE (to 4-pin round connector):

I was wondering it I could slit the cable insulation, fish out the (unused ?I guessing that they are unused in a serial cable) power "wires" and add a Radio Snack cigarette/car adapter for use in the car? Anybody done this? I see that the Garmin manual shows pin arrangement - are the power cables REALLY red (+12VDC) and black(ground)?

MY COMPUTER POWER SUPPLY: (12V DC power at home?)

Also, my power supply on my computer has an extra +12V DC connector on the back that is accessible from the outside -- hmmm, could that be used to power the GPS during downloads? I could take a 4-pin molex like a hard drive (IDE) power cable, and put a female cigarette/car recepticle on the end of it - what you think?

Thanks,

Paul

I would guess that there are 4 wires, since it's easier to make all the cables the same but just install different connectors on the non-GPS end. I've made my own cables for my Garmins (an older GPS 12 & my current 60c). Now, I didn't use a Garmin cable but homebrewed my own with a Pfranc connector and old mouse cord, but yours will undoubtedly be prettier. Get an ohm meter & double check the pin/wire combinations to what is shown in the manual.

Technically, you only need 3 wires since the data ground is shared with the power ground - you'd just have to splice into it. I hate Molex connectors, so I use Anderson Power Poles for all my power connections. In other words, my GPS cable has the round connector on one end, and serial connector on the other, with a pair of Power Poles spliced in a few inches back from the serial connector. That way I don't have to have the car cord hanging around if I don't need it. When it is needed, it just has the mating pair of Power Poles on it.

Upon re-reading your post, I guess your PC has a Molex-type connector on it for external power, so yes, you could run power right off it. I'd just make sure it's really within the voltage range of your GPS first.

Based on reports from others who cut open their Garmin PC cables, I think you'll find that there are only three wires inside, corresponding to DATA IN, DATA OUT, and GROUND. A combination power/PC cable needs a fourth wire for the +12 VDC (or whatever voltage range is appropriate for your GPS model).

I agree with NightPilot's recommendation of pfranc's cables or connectors.

NeoGeo: I like that computer-cigarette lighter. Will that fit a 5.25" drive bay?

LOL! Classic. Should be standard equipment on Dells :D That & a 8-track.

Thanks to all. I just ordered cables from GPSgeek.com before seeing the other manufacturer. Thanks to all. I got the one with the 110V wall coverter +serial, and the other +12V "car" with serial. I like back-up.

All this talk about serial is making me hungry. Im going to eat some Fruit Loops :P

I just got my cables from GPSgeek/Gilsson. That was FAST! Amazing. The service was very fast. I only paid extra $2 for the shipping of a second item in same order.

No association with them other than giving them $40 of my hard earned money, This was my first pruchase. They sent it priority mail.

I wish I discovered them before I paid $60 for a Garmin brand external antenna :rolleyes:

edited for spelling - paws not working well today.

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

If you make a cig plug adaptor, make sure of the voltage your GPSr requires. Some, like the Magellan Meridian and Garmin Legend want 3V DC. Connect directly to 12V and you will be sorry. Some GPSrs have a voltage regulator built in and take a range of voltages. My old Garmin II would take 10 to 36 VDC in the round plug. Check your manual.

New-pup question: What's the "r" in GPSr  ?

The 'r' in 'GPSr' simply denotes a receiver. It's just being technical, since you can't really own a G(lobal) P(ositioning) S(ystem) yourself (as in, "My GPS does this..."). You can also call it a "GPS unit."

I prefer GPSr just cuz it's quicker to type, but everyone here knows what you mean no matter what you call it, so don't sweat it either way.