mag vs true speed readout

SkydiverBC

The discussion a few days ago about mag vs true settings in your GPS caused someone to mention something that has me wondering. Does your speed readout alter depending if your GPS is set on Magnetic North vs. True North? For example... If my GPS is set on Magnetic North, and I drive down the road at 100 kph. Will it tell me the correct speed? And if I suddenly switch it to True North will it read the same speed and/or will it be correct as well? I know this seems like a stupid question as I'm sure it should not matter, but the spedometer in my car does not work properly and I dont want anymore speeding tickets. Thanks for any help.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

It will give you the correct speed either way.

Noticing your moniker of 'Skydiver' brings up another point though. If you are skydiving toward the earth at 100 kph the GPS rcvr will not show your correct speed, but will only display the horizontal component of your speed.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

...Noticing your moniker of 'Skydiver' brings up another point though. If you are skydiving toward the earth at 100 kph the GPS rcvr will not show your correct speed, but will only display the horizontal component of your speed.

Something every GPS owning skydiver should know before the jump! icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

...Noticing your moniker of 'Skydiver' brings up another point though. If you are skydiving toward the earth at 100 kph the GPS rcvr will not show your correct speed, but will only display the horizontal component of your speed.

Something every GPS owning skydiver should know before the jump! icon_wink.gif

Alan