How Do I Do A Letterbox

Awsome Ev

I understand how to do a letter box, sort of. I don't unerstand what kind of "stamp" to use. Do I make my own or buy one ? What kind of "stamp" should I use? Letters, numbers or just something that is funny or what? How would I start out.. Find a spot and place the cache and then work backwards with N<S<E<W? Could someone help me please? :):):lol:

A "Letterbox Hybrid" is the cache type for a geocache listed on Geocaching.com. It is the same as a traditional cache, in that it is findable by reference to latitude and longitude coordinates, but it differs in one respect: a letterboxing stamp is also included in the cache container. Such containers are often cross-listed on a letterboxing website, such as the popular website linked to above.

Ev, the website listed above will tell you everything you want to know. As for the rubberstamp you use, it can be anything that tickles your fancy. A lot of letterboxers carve their own out of erasers, and a google search will take you to sites that tell you how to make your own...BTW, Patrick says "thanks" for "scritching" his ears... Welcome to the forums.

Commercially made stamps are frowned upon in the letterboxing community. Home made stamps are pretty easy to do. A block of stamp rubber (purchased from a crafts store), or a rubber eraser and a $2 carving tool and you're set.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just home made. Here is my wife's (skigirl43) personal letterboxing stamp and I'm sure you will agree that its no work of art:

107526_200.jpg

You can have any kind of stamp you want, there won't be angry crowds booing at you. If you want, Ev, you can have a rubber stamp made for around fifteen bucks at many commercial print shops. For example, if you made a line drawing of a horse and buggy, or a frog or whatever, they can reproduce it for you from your camera ready copy...

A lot of letterboxers are snobbish folk.

I wonder if that's because they're trying to emulate the Brits? Isn't that where LB started? When I lived in Mass. (New ENGLAND) many years ago, the phones had a double ring like in England. By the way Briansnat, you're worldly, can you answer me this: All of a sudden my computer is doing soundeffects, like creaking door, squeeling pig, etc. Sup with that?

Sorry, I've been away for a while. Don't mean to seem snobish.

This was my first stamp ever and I have gotten much better at it since then. It's a piece of Speedball carving medium ,"the pink stuff" that was carved with a speedball carving tool. I drew the image and photocopied it, transfering the image to the medium with acetone.

I now use Mastercarve medium and a hobby knife.

Here's a bunch of links that can tell you more than you'd need to know.