Geocaching In The News!

All4OfUs

Don't get too bent about the use of buried and treasure hunt. Remember, to anyone who hasn't sought a cache they're going to have different meanings. Treasure hunting helps attract families. My 5 year-old boys have finally graduated to enjoying the hunt as much as the find - but it didn't start out that way 2 1/2 years ago :D

And it's easy to bury stuff under piles of rocks, leaves, logs, twigs and in stumps. You don't have to dig a hole for someone to think of a treasure being buried. I fully understand the concern over the term, but I doubt it raises the alarms to the non-geocachers reading the article. And judging from the percentage of articles that use the term while describing our addiction, errr I mean hobby, we should get used to it :P

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Don't get too bent about the use of buried and treasure hunt..

I doubt it raises the alarms to the non-geocachers

I don't. Well, most rational readers, maybe, but Joe Treehugger and Jill Ranger who know nothing about geocaching are going to hone in on that word and envision a bunch of people running into wilderness areas, parks, whatever with shovels. They'll have a good cry, or meditate to realign their cosmic energy or whatever they do, and then start working on a ban.

Is it so hard to say "hidden"?

There should be a press kit that gets that idea across to the reporters who write stories - actually in this case it was the editor who wrote the teaser.

Edited by Bull Moose