Garmin Vista $169.98 At Office Max

Bibba

:anibad: Heee Heeee! I just went to Best Buy where they had the Etrex Vista for 269.99, showed the sales guy the 169.99 price AND the coupon for 20 bucks off of any online purchase when you spend 125.00 or more through Office Max for the Vista, and Best Buy totally matched the price!!! No hassles they just said sure we'll match it. I was beyond shocked! I Can't wait to go on my first geocaching hunt tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up with the great online deals! Edited by hulaville

Yeah now that I would like to know too. How did you get Best Buy to match Officemax's price? Did you just print off the part of the Officemax website and take it into a Bet Buy retail store?

I'd be thrilled if they would do that. I would return my Lengend to Circuit City to get the charge taken off my credit card and take it to Best Buy to get the Vita for the same price as the Legend.

My local Office Max is in the same shopping center as the Best Buy, so after going to Office Max and seeing they had nothing in store as far as GPS goes, I went over to Best Buy to check them out. When I saw they had the Vista in the store, I just asked if they match prices from other stores, they said yes...then I told them about the advertised price from Office Max (not mentioning it was the websites advertised price), they did want to see proof of the price, so I used thier instore computer to access (here) the geocaching site, which took me to both pages for Office Max (the coupon page and the Vista price page) I have to say I was a little nervous that they were going to say, no, since it was all online. I have been told by Circut City that to pricematch, the other store has to have the item in stock and be the price they are selling it from in the store. They don't honor online deals. But heck, I just thought I would give it a try. Like I said, not a Hassle, once they saw it online they were ok with it. It being Saturday the store was busy, maybe thats why it was so easy, I never spoke with the manager, just the sales associate, the manager never saw the online info I showed the sales associate. After the sales guy got the approval for the pricematch over the phone from the manager, the manager eventually did come over and sign the approval paperwork, but he never saw any of the Office Max info. I never get deals like this...all the planets and the stars had to have been aligned just right! I should have bought a Lotto ticket when I left the store :laughing: Good luck!

Edited by hulaville

After seeing the post about Best Buy matching the Office Max price, I called the nearest Best Buy that had the Vista in stock and asked if they would honor the price. They reluctantly said yes, but they wouldn't honor the 20% off. That's quite OK...I drove down to that Best Buy, got the Vista for $100 off the normal Best Buy price and now I am uploading Mapsource maps to it. My Etrex LEgend is in the shop having its joystick repaired, and when I get it back I am going to put it up for sale at Ebay. Tomorrow I will go after my first cache after work. I will keep this Vista for a year. If I find geocaching as addictive as I think it is going to be, I will sell it and spring for a higher-end unit. I was going to get the Etrex Legend C, mostly for the extra memory, but since the Vista already comes with 24MB, I can get away with the lower-priced device.

Thanks for the info, Hulaville!

Mark :laughing:

I hope they don't cancel it. I ordered mine on the 7th and it has an estimated delivery date of the 17th. Still says it hasn't shipped yet, though. I called Office Max and the lady said that the units come direct from Garmin and not through any Office Max locations.

Did your estimated delivery date pass before you got any word on the shipment?

Matt

I sure hope they don't get cancelled...I would be very mad :blink:

I ordered mine on Sept. 4 and the expected delivery date was Sept. 16. I sure hope I get it...since that is only Friday

:rolleyes: Heee Heeee! I just went to Best Buy where they had the Etrex Vista for 269.99, showed the sales guy the 169.99 price AND the coupon for 20 bucks off of any online purchase when you spend 125.00 or more through Office Max for the Vista, and Best Buy totally matched the price!!! No hassles they just said sure we'll match it. I was beyond shocked! I Can't wait to go on my first geocaching hunt tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up with the great online deals!

Maybe I should try that. I would love to get it. Office Max doesnt seem to be shipping it for me.

Guess I arrived a little late on this deal, since it's Sept. 14th and I just placed the order today. If I get mine for under $150 (thanks for the coupon, btw!) great, but if not my 2 week old Legend is working just fine. With this Office Max deal I'll be getting the Vista for just about the same as I paid for the Legend. Guess the wife gets the Legend, or else I'll find a rabid ebayer to pay me $135 or so for it... :rolleyes:

Edited by DocDiTTo

:wacko:

Just got off the phone with Office Max. The Vista will be coming directly from Garmin, and they are backordered at the factory. No estimate of when they will ship. I was told Garmin would be contacting me about delivery date.

I ordered mine September 3rd, and delivery was supposed to be today (14th). Looks like I keep working with my brother's Legend for a little while longer.

I really don't like BlowBuy, and I think my aura displays that when I go in, so the sales people are always A pain to deal with. So if it's a matter of waiting to keep the money from going in BlowBuys pockets. I will NOT give them my money. It's worth waiting.

Let's see, here's a update with my order. I ordered mine on Friday, Sept. 10th. I was told delivery would be Wed. Sept. 15th. I didn't place my order on the net, but I called the 800 number to talk to a live person. My tracking number wont' work on the net, so I called on Monday to confirm the delivery date. The gal I spoke with said I had been given wrong info on the delivery date and that a person would be calling me with the correct info within the next 24 hours with the correct info. 22 hours so far and no call with a delivery date. In a few more hours I call Office Max back and see what's up. I was close to a Best Buy yesterday, so I hopped into the store and talked with a "sales associate". He said the price match was totally up to the manager and I could or could not get it. I'm not crazy about about Best Buy either, but I do like getting the best price possible. When I was looking at the GPS's in the store, it was quite evident that the "sales associate" was even more clueless then I was when it came to knowledge of features and just basic GPS knowledge. I've only been Geocaching with the boy-friend a couple of times and he did all the loading of waypoints and stuff........smiles, I got to walk in circles (much to bf's amusement) looking for caches, but I have done a few hours of reading and research on units........maybe I should apply for a job at Best Buy !! Just kidding.......I'll keep everyone posted and once again, thanks for sharing of info here !

By the way, talking of "addictive". We were at one Geocache, bf was done looking and calling it a DNF, I was still poking and peering around for a bit longer and I had to put a "10 more minute" time limit on myself or else I'd be there for days looking........addictive it is !!!

I tried to get Best Buy to match it last night, but they were not budging on it. They wouldn't honor the online price cause it could be "computer fraud" :wacko: Yeah, like I'm going to hack officemax.com to save $100....

On a good note, they did still have 2 of the yellow Etrex in stock, so I grabbed them both. The manager then had the nerve to ask me if I would leave one for him to get. I told him only if he would honor the price on the other one. :wacko:

So, today I will venture down to the Best Buy by my work which also has an Office max in the next strip mall (that does stock the Vista) and I'll try again.

At least I have my Yellow for now, so I've finally got a GPSr! (About friggin time)

Called OfficeMax assured me that my Vista would be here on Thursday, wont do me any good for my trip to Big Bend, tomorrow. The also could not give me a tracking number. Isnt funny that their web site says it is in stock.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg.

I sincerely hope they were truthful with you. I can't seem to get an answer beyond "its backordered". No idea when it might arrive.

Okay, a few deep breaths should help.

Much better now. I can wait a few days to get it, or a better response from them.

Still a good deal regardless of the wait. B)

Woo Hoo!! I went to Best Buy and got my Vista for total of $157.48!! They price matched the $169.98 plus took the $20 off and had it in stock!! I do have a buddy how works there, so I first talked to him, but he couldn't approve it for me, so we had to get the general manager. GM had no problems PM'ing it!!

I was doing the happy dance!! I've had it for about an hour and have not put it down! I want to go out and find some caches, but it's thunderstorms :blink: Hopefully tomorrow!!

Oh and I was able to cancel my order from Office Max.

Wow........I just talked to Office Max AGAIN. On Monday they had said I would get a call back within 24 hours, 48 hours later I didn't have one, so I called them back. I got the major run around from Customer "dis" service" so.........upward and onward !I'm going to print out the GPS from the office max site and hit up some of the Best Buys in San Diego.......I have to go see my brother about 60 miles from here so hopefully one of the Best Buys on the way there will have one in stock and give me the price match !!!

New guy here so excuse any errors. I order on as well over the weekend and called Office Max to confirm the order. They said it would ship from Garmin but they were showing as backordered.

I emailed Garmin yesterday to see what the status was and this is the reply I got today -

We are currently fulfilling all orders within our means. All current orders

should be shipped in approximately 1-2 weeks.

Just thought I would pass it along.

I went to Best Buy last night and they said they couldn't match it becasue it was too far below their price of $269.99. I also went to the Bass Pro Shop and some other places and they either didn't have that model or they said it was too low of a price. I guess I will have to wait until I get mine from office max...or garmin...or where ever it is coming from now.

I called in an order for a Vista two nights ago (Sept 14). At the time there was no back order indication from the sales rep. She said that I should expect delivery in 7-10 days. Of course she couldn't give me any tracking information, or even an email confirmation that it ships so I'll just cross my fingers and wait.

I actually ordered this for my wife's Aunt. We're using a 60cs that I totally love but actually thought about ordering one of these as a second unit. Of course then the wife and I would be fighting over who gets to use the color screen ;-)

I went to Best Buy last night and they said they couldn't match it becasue it was too far below their price of $269.99. I also went to the Bass Pro Shop and some other places and they either didn't have that model or they said it was too low of a price. I guess I will have to wait until I get mine from office max...or garmin...or where ever it is coming from now.

If that is the ONLY reason they gave for not matching the price, I would "demand" the price match per their advertising.

When you go back to speak with them, remind them that most state courts recognize “justifiable reliance” on the consumers side. You, as the consumer, are justified in relying on the information presented to you by a company to be accurate and true. Best Buy advertises a price match, unless it specifies in the written explanation that they can refuse to honor it because the “other price” is too far below their price, they should honor their policy. Otherwise it is called false advertising with the intent to “bait” consumers into their store.

I am not giving specific legal advice, and am not board certified in your state, or any for that matter; I am sharing information that has worked for me in the past.

Looks like Office Max has removed all GPS units from their Website, not just the Vista. I'd hate to be the one that made that typo!

Office Max, I've called Office Max 3 times now, each time different song and dance about my order. I was told that the GPS's would be shipped from their supplier "EPI" whoever that is. Now, on to Best Buy. Monday I went to Best Buy to exchange my disc-man. I went over to the GPS's to see what they have and so forth. No one was working in the GPS area, but a clerk came over from the speakers to help me. He knew even less then I did about GPS's. Asked him about price match, he told me to bring back printouts from the net site and then the manager would authorize the price match. Wed. I went back to Best Buy after printing out Office Max stuff. Clerk "T" was "helping" me, showed him Office Max printouts, relayed Mon. conversation to him. T went to case to find "Vista" evidently he couldn't belive his eyes as he just kept looking, I pointed out the Vista to him. He's still staring at it when another clerk comes over and takes "T"s lunch order....they are having Mexican for lunch !!! I request the price match I had been told about on Monday. After some more staring, T calls the manager. Manager "M" comes over, I'm showing him my docs. and relaying Monday's conversation to him. While I am talking M walks away, unlocks the door to the car audio area, let's in a clerk and M walks away !!!!!! Never says s*** to me !!! T then tells me that they can't (or won't) do the match. I persisit with T, telling I made a trip back just as I was suppose to with the docs and all. Oh, by the way, by now I've whipped out my trusty pen and start taking notes.....I request the manager's name...first I was told by T that the manager's name is "Mike"......later on the manager's name become "Mark".....there "policy" is not to disclose last names.....must be something they picked up a Alcoholic's Anonymous or something. OK, so now I ask for the Corp. Best Buy mailing address. Off to the service desk T and I go. T disappears for 10 minutes, when he comes back he tells me someone has removed the address list and he can't find it. HELLO ???? I then request to speak with "M" (Mike or Mark ???) 15 minutes "M" comes and tells me they have no physical mailing address for Corp. Best Buy. "M" then gives me a 800 number to call. I set down at the bench and call the 800 number....I get a gal who is soooooooo sorry. Sorry HELL, I want the GPS !!! Smiles, by the way, the whole time I was on the phone, "M" is 30 or so feet away from me, leaning back on a display with his arms crossed......glaring at me. know, I'm a very nice . Best Buy employees need to spit out the gum that they are chewing while talking to customers, go back to Mc D's for some more training. I've got a letter ready to blast off to Best Buy....if anyone chooses to write also, here is the mailing addy I was given. Best Buy, Box 9312, 7601 Penn Ave. South, Richfield MN 55423. I'm not too sure why they have a Box number along with a street number, but that's what I was given. The National Customer (dis)service number is 1-888-237-8289

Doesn't look too good folks. Today was my intended receive date, but I just got the following message from OfficeMax.

Your above order is on backorder until the beginning of October with no additional information from the vendor. If you have any questions please contact customer service at 1-877-633-4236. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

customer service

OfficeMax

At least they didn't come right out and cancel it. :laughing:

Just got this email from OfficeMax (ordered Vista Sept 3):

Your above order is on backorder until the beginning of October with no additional information from the vendor. If you have any questions please contact customer service at 1-877-633-4236. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Still a chance maybe????

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, bluedog. Weren't they supposed to get back to you yesterday or so?

Might want to give them a call, or email their customer service dept.

Good luck either way.

Just called Office Max, my order is now suppose to be "off backorder". It is being shipped from "Third Party BDI Lugna". Of course Office Max does not have a phone number for "BDI Lugna" and I didn't find a number for them on the net either. Office Max Customer Service did say that BDI Lugna uses Office Max's tracking number for their shipping/tracking number....now, why tell me that if I can't call BDI and track it their ? When I do get the GPS from Office Max and if and when I win with Best Buy, I'll post here with a second unit and hopefully a Geocacher who missed out will be made happy !!!

:):laughing::P:)

Ordered mine on Sept 5th. Said it would be delivered 9/16.

Guess what! No delivery. I also got the same email saying backordered until October, no further info from supplier. I sent off an email to Garmin. Let's see what they say.

I am going away for a week anyway, so who knows, maybe I'll have good news when I get back. :)

Bluedog, when did you order yours?

Also, here is a link to the BDI people.

bdi

(edit to add link)

Friday, Sept. 10th. Thanks for the link !!! Office Max guy must have given me a abbreviation !

Bluedog. I ordered mine on the 4th and can't get any information beyond my previously posted OfficeMax response. Please let me know if you get anywhere with BDI.

Bluedog, when did you order yours?

Also, here is a link to the BDI people.

bdi

(edit to add link)

Friday, Sept. 10th. Thanks for the link !!! Office Max guy must have given me a abbreviation !

Bluedog. I ordered mine on the 4th and can't get any information beyond my previously posted OfficeMax response. Please let me know if you get anywhere with BDI.

I emailed BDI with my tracking number, we'll have to wait and see if I get a response. I didn't get enough time to go over the BDI site to see if there is a 800 number to call, but I will look for it later on. I plan on calling Office Max on a daily basis. My "Ploy", I need to know when this is being shipped so I can be on the lookout for a package, or if I am not home, have a neighbor be on "lookout" for a delivery. As I told Office Max, it's a pain to have to file paperwork for a "lost" shipment. In reality, I'm just gonna bug them lots.....squeaky wheel gets the oil type of thing.

Looks like Office Max has removed all GPS units from their Website, not just the Vista.  I'd hate to be the one that made that typo!

Office Max, I've called Office Max 3 times now, each time different song and dance about my order. I was told that the GPS's would be shipped from their supplier "EPI" whoever that is. Now, on to Best Buy. Monday I went to Best Buy to exchange my disc-man. I went over to the GPS's to see what they have and so forth. No one was working in the GPS area, but a clerk came over from the speakers to help me. He knew even less then I did about GPS's. Asked him about price match, he told me to bring back printouts from the net site and then the manager would authorize the price match. Wed. I went back to Best Buy after printing out Office Max stuff. Clerk "T" was "helping" me, showed him Office Max printouts, relayed Mon. conversation to him. T went to case to find "Vista" evidently he couldn't belive his eyes as he just kept looking, I pointed out the Vista to him. He's still staring at it when another clerk comes over and takes "T"s lunch order....they are having Mexican for lunch !!! I request the price match I had been told about on Monday. After some more staring, T calls the manager. Manager "M" comes over, I'm showing him my docs. and relaying Monday's conversation to him. While I am talking M walks away, unlocks the door to the car audio area, let's in a clerk and M walks away !!!!!! Never says s*** to me !!! T then tells me that they can't (or won't) do the match. I persisit with T, telling I made a trip back just as I was suppose to with the docs and all. Oh, by the way, by now I've whipped out my trusty pen and start taking notes.....I request the manager's name...first I was told by T that the manager's name is "Mike"......later on the manager's name become "Mark".....there "policy" is not to disclose last names.....must be something they picked up a Alcoholic's Anonymous or something. OK, so now I ask for the Corp. Best Buy mailing address. Off to the service desk T and I go. T disappears for 10 minutes, when he comes back he tells me someone has removed the address list and he can't find it. HELLO ???? I then request to speak with "M" (Mike or Mark ???) 15 minutes "M" comes and tells me they have no physical mailing address for Corp. Best Buy. "M" then gives me a 800 number to call. I set down at the bench and call the 800 number....I get a gal who is soooooooo sorry. Sorry HELL, I want the GPS !!! Smiles, by the way, the whole time I was on the phone, "M" is 30 or so feet away from me, leaning back on a display with his arms crossed......glaring at me. know, I'm a very nice . Best Buy employees need to spit out the gum that they are chewing while talking to customers, go back to Mc D's for some more training. I've got a letter ready to blast off to Best Buy....if anyone chooses to write also, here is the mailing addy I was given. Best Buy, Box 9312, 7601 Penn Ave. South, Richfield MN 55423. I'm not too sure why they have a Box number along with a street number, but that's what I was given. The National Customer (dis)service number is 1-888-237-8289

I had trouble with a Best Buy manager before. He threatened me so we tried to get a Corp. Number from them and they wouldn't give it to us. So we went home and looked on line and found the number. We called and went around in circles. We ended up getting the President's direct phone number. I will try to find the and up it up.