2 Gps - 1 Map Set?

5nomads

First, this forum has been incredibly helpful to me over the past year and I continue to be impressed with the lengths some people will go to answer very technical question posted here. Mine is not so difficult, but thought I’d ask...

I have been happily using a 60CS with MS Topo and Roads for some time. I recently bought an older III+ from a guy at work for $15 and wanted to use it as a back-up.

- Can I load my MS maps onto the III+ without any licensing or compatibility issues?

- Is there anything specific I need to do to get it to connect (I did not get any software with it, only the GPSr)

- Anything else I should be aware of before I do this?

Thanks again,

I have been happily using a 60CS with MS Topo and Roads for some time. I recently bought an older III+ from a guy at work for $15 and wanted to use it as a back-up.

- Anything else I should be aware of before I do this?

The main limiting factor on the III+ is the memory size of only 1.4 MB. The Garmin US Topo maps have pretty small regions so you can load those pretty efficiently and the old Roads & Recreation regions are also small. MetroGuide and City Select have larger memory requirements and some individual segments may not fit in 1.4 MB. It's also a problem if you're near the edge of regions and would really like to get portions of two or three downloaded.

Thanks for the useful info. The III+ memory is a big problem; I am happily lazy dumping large areas into the 60CS, without worrying too much about size, but 1.4mb is soo small. At any rate, I'll try to get it connected asd a back-up with the advice given. Thanks again,