Geocaching Illegal In Boulder County?

jeff35080

Very typical of Boulder County, The problem is there are so many great caches in this area for example check out:

Well nevermind, because geocaching.com if not up.  The thing is Boulder county covers a lot of ground to include, Lafayette, Superior, Louisville, and Niwot to name a few.  Open Space abounds in the area.  Most all of the caches I have been to in Boulder County open space, are not more than a 4 meters from the trail.  Boulder has a reputation of going to extreme measures to protect flora and fauna in this county, however, this seems like a knee-jerk reaction if ever there was one.  I currently live in Adams County which borders Boulder county, and my next cache will definately be in Adams.

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail :)

Everyone, its easy to take shots. I am requesting that it stop. THis is not helpful to the concept of keeping Geocaching in Boulder county.

The meeting is tomorrow at 2:pm. lets wait and see what happens

Please.

With all due respect, please don't attempt to censor me.

Edited by Cwiggum
Very typical of Boulder County, The problem is there are so many great caches in this area for example check out:

Well nevermind, because geocaching.com if not up.  The thing is Boulder county covers a lot of ground to include, Lafayette, Superior, Louisville, and Niwot to name a few.  Open Space abounds in the area.  Most all of the caches I have been to in Boulder County open space, are not more than a 4 meters from the trail.  Boulder has a reputation of going to extreme measures to protect flora and fauna in this county, however, this seems like a knee-jerk reaction if ever there was one.  I currently live in Adams County which borders Boulder county, and my next cache will definately be in Adams.

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail :)

Everyone, its easy to take shots. I am requesting that it stop. THis is not helpful to the concept of keeping Geocaching in Boulder county.

Please.

With all due respect, this is a moderated forum and it is the moderator's job to to rebuke, admonish or censor as he sees fit.

WOOT COAdmin thank you for your POSITIVE attitude and SUPPORT. WOOT I I live just S. of Boulder County and it was going to be a real shame if they had banned Geocaching. I mean Open space is there to be used. Is it possible to send some positive affirmation to the commissionar to let him knew there are thankful people out there. Again THANK COAdimn.

Cheers

WOOT COAdmin thank you for your POSITIVE attitude and SUPPORT. WOOT I I live just S. of Boulder County and it was going to be a real shame if they had banned Geocaching. I mean Open space is there to be used. Is it possible to send some positive affirmation to the commissionar to let him knew there are thankful people out there. Again THANK COAdimn.

Cheers

Ill see if I can get that information for you

Is it possible to send some positive affirmation to the commissionar to let him knew there are thankful people out there. 

His name is Paul Danish. You can find him at this site.

I was at the meeting too, and was pleasantly impressed with his comments abuout having open space to use.

The proposed working group for geocaching in Boulder County should be open for everyone and I hope that other geocaching users participate in this for it will format what is allowed in this county for a long time to come.

Edited by cameltrekor

:P

Way to go guys! Special thanks to the "PURPLE " Pony for representing all of us geocachers.

I appreciate you taking the time to represent us and the fact that you were able to walk away with a victory. It's almost like a "David vs. Goliath" story.

Hopefully this will open some doors to those that have "closed out" geocaching in their communities.

Now for a poem...

Way to go

Admin, CO! :huh:

Brad

Hm. They don't make it clear what "Boulder County Open Space" is. I can't think of county-owned parks anywhere that I'm familiar with. City or town, states or federal, and privately-managed trusts are all I know, and I can't think how county commissioners could dictate what goes on there.

Sounds to me like that's a specific area or land management scheme. It's still a bad thing, of course.

Summary of Public Open Space Properties

Property

Fairgrounds Park Rabbit Mountain Open Space

Lagerman Reservoir Walden Ponds Wildlife Habitat

Legion Park Rock Creek Farm

Walker Ranch Betasso Preserve

Bald Mountain Scenic Area

Pella Crossing Beech Open Space

Hall Ranch Heil Valley Ranch

Niwot Loop Trail Coal Creek Trail

My favorite word in that whole article was: unanimous.

As soon as the park rangers realize that there is less trash in their open spaces because we're there they'll be a happier set of campers.

CITO on!

edit: I know it isn't their open space, but you get my drift :P

Looks like room for at least 8 more caches in Boulder County :D

Edited by pdxmarathonman

I forwarded the article to my sister who lives outside of Boulder. Here is the wee exchange (my sister is quoted);

>Typical Boulder Nazism.

> The only good thing is that it will be almost impossible to enforce. How

> are they going to prove your out looking for or hiding a cache?

That gives me an idea, Sis!

If someone approaches you while you are caching, and asks what the heck you are doing, just totally deadpan (if this would be at all possible to deadpan):

Be vewwy vewwy quiet. We're hunting ELMERS.

I don't think it's really so good news. When they finally come up with their system of rules and permissions, it'd probably require every future cache to have an annual permit with steep registration and renewal fees, with restrictions still outlawing caches in most of their area, and with a bond posting requirement...

In any case it's good to see CO's mood brighten, so thanks commissioners at least for that.

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail :P

Please.

With all due respect, this is a moderated forum and it is the moderator's job to to rebuke, admonish or censor as he sees fit.

I believe you may want to review the forum guidelines prior to determining the moderators function within the forums. I have provided a link for you.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

QUOTE (Cwiggum @ Aug 31 2004, 08:41 PM)
(CO Admin @ Aug 30 2004, 05:34 PM)
(Cwiggum @ Aug 30 2004, 05:29 PM)

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail 

Please.

I refrained from replying to the original post as someone already had. But now I will throw in my two cents. CO Admin did not attempt to censor you as you stated. He politely asked you to not make cheap shots about the Boulder County administration and wait for the results of the upcoming meeting. Your comments did nothing to help him prepare for his meeting and if they had been read by any of the opposing side or administration, could have increased the difficulty he would have in convincing the administration to defeat the proposed ban. Thank you for your understanding of the difference in requesting restraint and censorship.

And

Cache Well

Edited by LordSaw
I don't think it's really so good news. When they finally come up with their system of rules and permissions, it'd probably require every future cache to have an annual permit with steep registration and renewal fees, with restrictions still outlawing caches in most of their area, and with a bond posting requirement...

In any case it's good to see CO's mood brighten, so thanks commissioners at least for that.

Have Faith little one. I just finished a permit system in another county that is as close to perfect as you can get and still have a permit.

Keep the faith, Think the good thoughts.

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail :lol:

Please.

I believe you may want to review the forum guidelines prior to determining the moderators function within the forums. I have provided a link for you.

Actually CO assisted me in writing the guidelines so I would say he has a strong grasp of their wording. There was no censorship in his post to you or there would be a 'edited by....' line from where he removed text.

Oh by the way thanks CO Admin you did a great job today!

From the linked to guidelines:

...This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages...

From the Dictionary:

Main Entry: censor

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/

: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

Now I have a feeling I'm about to be rebuked or admonished by Mr. CO Admin and/or Hydee for taking this thread off topic and they may go as far as censoring me if they find my post to be particularly objectionable.

Edited by briansnat

From the linked to guidelines:

...This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages...

From the Dictionary:

Main Entry: censor

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/

: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

Now I have a feeling I'm about to be rebuked or admonished by Mr. CO Admin and/or Hydee for taking this thread off topic and they may go as far as censoring me if they find my post to be particularly objectionable.

You have not shown me where my post was inappropriate. The only thing inappropriate was free thought. I live in Colorado, and I have an opinion regarding Boulder County. You or your counterparts may have a differing opinion, but if you choose to censor other opinions you will be here with only your own thoughts. I believe I have made my point. I will not be posting to this thread going forward. I refer you to text from another message on this forum which could possibly offend people. "I forwarded the article to my sister who lives outside of Boulder. Here is the wee exchange (my sister is quoted);

>Typical Boulder Nazism.

> The only good thing is that it will be almost impossible to enforce. How

> are they going to prove your out looking for or hiding a cache?

That gives me an idea, Sis!

If someone approaches you while you are caching, and asks what the heck you are doing, just totally deadpan (if this would be at all possible to deadpan):

Be vewwy vewwy quiet. We're hunting ELMERS."

However, I see no censorship of this post. You are fighting a battle which you know you are wrong. I do not expect you to admit your error, but others will see the error of your way. Good day.

QUOTE (Cwiggum @ Aug 31 2004, 08:41 PM)
(CO Admin @ Aug 30 2004, 05:34 PM)
(Cwiggum @ Aug 30 2004, 05:29 PM)

P.S. my avitar is taken in Boulder County, I better erase it before the Boulder Law comes looking for me, for as you can plainly see I am not on the trail 

Please.

I refrained from replying to the original post as someone already had. But now I will throw in my two cents. CO Admin did not attempt to censor you as you stated. He politely asked you to not make cheap shots about the Boulder County administration and wait for the results of the upcoming meeting. Your comments did nothing to help him prepare for his meeting and if they had been read by any of the opposing side or administration, could have increased the difficulty he would have in convincing the administration to defeat the proposed ban. Thank you for your understanding of the difference in requesting restraint and censorship.

And

Cache Well

Thank your for your comments. I understand your point. However, I also believe that my opinion of Boulder County is of merit. If CO Admin wanted to delete my post that individual holds that power. Clearly they did not find it too terribly offensive, or it would have been removed according to their own guidelines. I do not believe any public forum (Yes I do understand Groundspeak is privately owned) can have any merit if it only allows "me to" thought.

Regards

You have not shown me where my post was inappropriate.

I don't recall saying anything to that effect. Only that CO Admin has the right to censor, or censure you if he sees fit.

You are fighting a battle which you know you are wrong. I do not expect you to admit your error, but others will see the error of your way. Good day.

I won't because I'm not. This is a privately owned message board and we post here at the pleasure of the owners and their agents. As such, there is no right to free speech or freedom from censorship here.

I'm right and you're wrong, so neeyyyyah :o .

Edited by briansnat
You have not shown me where my post was inappropriate.

I don't recall saying anything to that effect. Only that CO Admin has the right to censor, or censure you if he sees fit.

You are fighting a battle which you know you are wrong. I do not expect you to admit your error, but others will see the error of your way. Good day.

I won't because I'm not. This is a privately owned message board and we post here at the pleasure of the owners and their agents. As such, there is no right to free speech or freedom from censorship here.

I'm right and you're wrong, so neeyyyyah :o .

a couple of Items:

1: my original request was to EVERYONE not just one person.

2: It was made because some times its best to SHUT UP and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

3: In all negotiations it is best to treat the other side with kindness. Look at football game, Pre game interviews. "Well coach How do you think tonights game is going to go, Will you win??". Well, Jane, I feel that our opponent has really had a great week. They seem to really be on their game and its going to be a tough fight. I am sure that at the last whistle the best team will be on top.", "Thanks Coach", "Your welcome Jane." You never see the coach say. "Jane, we are going to Kill those wimps!!!!! they suck and we are going to mop up the field with those rotten *&^*&%#$*%@ers!!"

Diplomacy and discretion are the best way to go into a meeting.

So to reiterate point #1. my original request was to EVERYONE not just one person. There fore no ONE person should feel they were being singled out as they were not. This will END this part of this thread. it is off topic to the purpose of the thread. if you MUST rant about this subject start a new thread.

Since this thread has turned somewhat 'ugly' and I started another thread with the results of the meeting, I'm going to close this thread. Once again, thank you to all the involved parties that worked hard to help save geocaching in this area of the country. Odds are that I'll never make it to Colorado and more specifically Boulder County, but if and when I do I will be glad that some who cared were able to help save geocaching and thus I'll be able to partake of the geocaches placed there on the public lands. Happy geocaching!