Officiellt Brev Från Riksantikvarieämbetet

hedberg

Fick följande brev i mailkorgen idag, återger det i sin exakta helhet:

To: <claes.hedberg@home.se>

Subject: "Geocaching" och fornlämningsområden

dnr 329-3023-2004

2004-08-30

Till Claes Hedberg

Länsstyrelsen har uppmärksammat Riksantikvarieämbetet (RAÄ) på hemsidan www.geocaching.com. då den svenska delen innehåller platser med fornlämningar, bl.a. gravfältet i Vendel, Hjortsberga domarring,

gravhögen Uppsa kulle, hällristningen Rosenborg, Väderholms borg och

kyrkoruinen i Bjästa.

Fornlämningar är skyddade enligt lagen (1988:950) om kulturminnen m.m.

(KML) och det är enligt 2 kap. 6 § förbjudet att utan tillstånd rubba, ta bort, gräva ut, täcka över eller genom bebyggelse, plantering eller på

annat sätt ändra eller skada en fast fornlämning. Det är därför förbjudet att gräva ner eller gömma behållare i gravar och det är även olämpligt att gräva ned behållare etc. i fornlämningsområden eller andra känsliga delar av skyddade miljöer.

RAÄ vänder sig till Dig som kontaktperson för "Geocaching" i Sverige

och det vore bra om Du kunde informera deltagarna om detta. Enligt

portalparagrafen i KML är det en nationell angelägenhet att skydda och

vårda vår kulturmiljö. Ansvaret för detta delas av alla. Såväl enskilda som myndigheter skall visa hänsyn och aktsamhet mot kulturmiljön. Länsstyrelsen har tillsyn över kulturminnesvården i länet och RAÄ har det nationella överinseendet.

Med vänlig hälsning

Lillemor Schützler

Lillemor Schützler

Kulturmiljöavdelningen

Riksantikvarieämbetet

Box 5405

114 84 STOCKHOLM

Tfn: 08/ 5191 8254

Fax: 08/ 5191 8013

E-post: lillemor.schutzler@raa.se

Jag vill bara förtydliga att jag inte har varit i kontakt med dem.

Thanks hedberg!

I have contacted Lillemor about this and I don´t think it´s a big problem, maybe some few caches needs to be moved a little, I will start working on this. If you know a cache that maybe can be a problem, please mail me the waypoint on KopakaNuva@geocachingadmin.com

Best Regards

Kopaka Nuva :lol:

And a cut from the guidelines about off-limit areas:

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

* Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Kopaka Nuva :lol:

I have contacted Lillemor about this and I don´t think it´s a big problem, maybe some few caches needs to be moved a little, I will start working on this.

What is it that they actually find illegal here? Do they think that caches are buried? Or are there really caches that affect the "fornlämningar?"

And mention always and everywhere that the caches are not allowed to be buried. That's a very common misconception of geocaching. Which is understandable, granted: geocaching is often described as modern treasure hunting, which brings to mind pirates and their buried treasures. In every interview I've given about geocaching, I've always mentioned the burying prohibition - and of course emphasized the cultural and nature-related aspects as well.

for example here in Europe almost ANY place can be considered as a "historical site" and if we strictly follow this guideline we must immediately archive most of the present caches...

Vs. ...US? This is somewhat offtopic, but there are plenty of historical sites dating back to 18th and also 17th century. And here it seems we talk only about the European derived heritage.

For example here in Finland we don't have that terribly many really historical sites either -plenty of our history involves a couple of scabby reindeer and some hungry wolves in a wide, wide forest. [:lol:]

I'm with wry amusement observing anti-yankeeism popping here and there (also) in the forum... Yeah, the yankees are somewhat "hysterical" sometimes, but are they really that hysterical with this historical site stuff? At least my quick search over historical caches in the US doesn't make me think that this rule about historical sites would be interpreted in a particularly nitpicking way there either.

But yup, the rule could be formulated differently.

For example here in Finland we don't have that terribly many really historical sites either -plenty of our history involves a couple of scabby reindeer and some hungry wolves in a wide, wide forest.  [:D]

We DO have A LOT of historical sites, at least if you ask it from the Museovirasto. I could list easily tens or perhaps hundreds of Finnish caches that are located in historicals sites. Don't think just pre-history, even places from last century are considered historical.

Well, of course we have -I also have plenty of caches in such places. I admit, this wasn't a good formulation.

My point only was that I don't think for example Finland can be considered in any way terribly much more historical than America (I understood here in Europe -and we are also Europe- as an opposition between the yankees, you can correct me if I was wrong :-) ). They also have plenty of historical sites beyond the times when Europeans arrived.

So, I claim that in America are also plenty of historical sites (especially if places from last century are considered historical) -which also are cached and ask if they really are that hysterical about the rule. I found plenty of caches which seemed to say the opposite.

So, I was just questioning the idea that yankees make hysterical rules, because they don't have as many historical places as Europeans do (as I -perhaps wrongly?- read between the lines).