Smallest Metal Detector?

Tacguy

I have seen a couple of BFO (an older type of detector, now nearly extinct) on the web as kits. There are also build-yourself instructions for BFO detectors so you can control the size.

Another option would be a security wand. I tested a Garrett Super Scanner with a benchmark and it detected it from approximately 6 inches, although that was with no obstruction. Most metal detector companies offere a security wand style scanner, although you will feel like airport security walking around with one.

Garrett's is at http://www.garrett.com/security/sec-pro-han.asp

I will post a couple more links to BFO style dectectors, including one I found for $19.95, later.

Matt

Here is the website of a company that sells BFO kits. They also have a wand style detector for $100. XTronics

I am tempted to buy one of the smallers kits just to see what they are like. Note that I found these same kits cheaper on another website that I didn't bother to save, so if you are interested you might want to look around a bit.

Also available are numerous plans for detectors.

Personally, I think I am going to get a middle of the road one in the next few days. I am looking at the White Prizm models.

Matt

I just got one of these. I chose this one (not wanting to appear cheap) because it doesn't weigh much, the shaft telescopes so it will fit easily into a backpack and because it's, well, cheap ;) . I figure how good does it have to be to find 3" bronze disks 3" under the surface, or 5"metal containers for that matter :unsure: Any input would be helpful but in the meantime I'll be awaiting the big brown truck!

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/alert/alert.htm

The model is the Deluxe Coin-Finder

p.s, tried the insert hyperlink button but it didn't appear to work. Also, thanks to Colorado Papa for the link.

Edited by mrh - terre haute

I have the Radio Shack 3001 model which I picked up used for cheap. I don't think it operates like the instructions say, like maybe things have drifted out of calibration, but I have found it very useful. The meter appears useless and I operate only on a change in tone and loudness, while keeping it set just on the edge of losing the tone.

It finds a bronze disk at 6 inches depth in moist soil if I have the controls tweaked just right, but I haven't learned how to set it to not find other kinds of metal.

On perhaps half the disks I have found that weren't in a bridge railing, near a witness post, or otherwise pretty obvious, I probably would have given up without the detector.