Overnight Caching

clearpath

Curious, on average, how many nights do you sleep in a tent each year? And when you do, is geocaching involved or is it for another activity? If another activity, what is it?

I'll start... on average each year I spend approx. 10 12 nights in a tent. That breaks down to 5 days/nights camping, canoeing, hiking in the Boundry Waters. Roughly 4 days/nights camping with the family and several scout camping trips with my boys. Of all these overnights, I have yet to go geocaching. Mostly, because I don't have time and because there are very few if any geocaches in the Boundry Waters of Northern MN.

Before I got involved with coaching soccer (which means practice on Saturday and games on Sunday, mostly during prime camping season), I'd spend anywhere between 10 & 15 nights outdoors. Usually backpacking, but I did a few extended canoe trips on the Allagash.

Now it's 2-3 nights a year. But my daughter just reached high school and the club team only goes up to age 14, so I will no longer be involved with coaching. This means we'll certainly have more opportunities to get out. We're planning a few days of canoe camping in the Adirondacks this fall.

I only combined camping and geocaching once.

:huh: Sleep in a tent!?!?!

:lol: Camping?!?!?

Not since I was 16!!

I got as much of sleeping on rocks and having bugs crawl up my nose as I needed.

These days, my idea of roughing it consists of:

1) A black & white TV.

2) No remote for above.

3) Only one shower head.

4) Anything smaller that a Queen-size bed.

:o

Between scouting and my love of the outdoors, my geokids and I camp 4-5 times per year. I, too, have just started caching and will combine the two in a couple of weeks when we visit the Rock. I have included caching on my weekend getaways this summer. Makes for an interesting (and inexpensive) thing to do with kids.

A lot more lately. Here in CT paddle and camping events are our favorite kind of event. We had one in June and another coming up Sept. 11th. And I just got back from a week of cabin camping (no phone, no lights, no water, no luxuries) with Ttepee, and Dave and the mann, and we did a bunch of caches in MA and VT. But I never counted the nights, and I don't see well in the dark, so we cached during the day. I have done one night cache intentionally and walked out after dark on one or two unintentionally.

every year my family goes to drummond island off the tip of the upper penninsula of mich. we have electricity so it's not totally roughing it, <_< but i do sleep in a tent. i even had decorations this year.

6e75d8c1-aa47-4289-aaa7-753e8fa7b0b5.jpg

don't laugh. if it hadn't been for that flamingo it would have been too dark to find my tent at night. we had about 2 hours of northern lights on our first night.

This Sunday, I will be going after my 700 find. Many of them have been done on a sightseeing-geocaching trip. I am now 79 and have done my share of tent camping trips including a kayak trip down the Noatak River in Alaska. Also have tent camped using our Piper aircraft. Today we travel in a Roadtrek van type RV. This time last year we traveled from Bremerton, Washington to the East Coast and back. Manage to pick up 60 caches in three weeks. About three weeks ago we made a week trip to Canada and picked up 42 caches. Next week we will travel around the Olympic Peninsula. This is mostly a sight seeing trip and I only have 16 caches loaded into my iQue and 76C. The biggest problems in traveling and geocaching is you want to do them all but must limit your selection. By hunting out caches we have been to many interesting sights that we never would have found otherwise. Dick, W7WT

Interesting question.. I spend 24-30 nights a year in a tent. This while doing SCA activities. Society for Creative Anachronism,, middle ages/living history. My persona generally represents about 1350 AD. Curiously I enjoy stepping back in time. Since it is more or less seasonal and the season has nearly ended.

Look to combine the travels to those events with geocaching. I have been to some interesting locations that very well might be good for this modern technology sport/game.

Might end up that I will spend quite a few 'extra' days in the woods but certainly without the structure of a group organized event. I do work for myself, and will more than likely strike off to look for stuff as a whim or wind may allow.

Charles

Mt Vernon WA

I've camped out quite a few times this summer. It saves a lot of money and allows for more caching time. I close up shop Saturday afternoon and drive to my destination. On the way I try to grab a few caches. Then I setup camp and get up early Sunday and cache the entire day. Then I camp out again Sunday night and cache Monday until I feel like heading back home. Tuesday morning I re-open my shop and wait until the next weekend. Had fun doing this throughout the summer and managed to find a ton of caches.

I am in Scouts, so we camp about once a month. That makes about 20 nights in a tent a year. We have started going on high adventure trips (Boundary Waters last year), so that makes about 4 more tent nights. We usually go cacheing on scout trips, but don't make special caching camping trips.