What's Wrong With The Web Site?

kpgdenver

I keep getting wacky server errors like this (from the TB search page):

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UserViewBehaviors.RemoveOldEntries() +170

Geocaching.Throttling.GetViewerRating() +170

Geocaching.Throttling.ThrottleUser() +5

Geocaching.UI.track_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +218

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +753

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

It must be Sunday. Everyone is starting to log their weekend caching. You are just the first to start a topic on it for this weekend. No offense meant, but this has been happening every weekend for about the last month or so. It'll start clearing up Tuesday or so. Keep Trying, you'll eventually get through.

Cache Well

Someone in the "German Speaking" forum just suggested logging cache finds here in the forum. Not a bad idea, since the forum seems to be able to cope better with lots of traffic...  :lol:

only half kidding,

[GTL]S.

The forum copes with the traffic it has because its a different server than the Main site. Dump all that Main site traffic here and it will start behaving the same way.

Edited by CO Admin

Great... I entered a long log and when I clicked on the Submit button I just got a "Service unavailable" message...

If the weekend conditions don't improve considerably, I'm gonna have to cancel my premium membership. I won't pay for crappy service.

Edited by as77
Great... I entered a long log and when I clicked on the Submit button I just got a "Service unavailable" message...

If the weekend conditions don't improve considerably, I'm gonna have to cancel my premium membership. I won't pay for crappy service.

I can't do anything about the server, but I can offer this bit of advice. When you are finished filling out a log or e-mail wait to click on the done/submit button until you have 'selected all and right clicked and copied it to the clipboard'. If something happens then you do not need to re-write the whole thing again, just copy and paste. It saves alot of rewrites.

John

edited because of weak eyes. :lol:

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Well there's still major problems it seems. It's taken me about 1-1/2 hrs to log 11 caches, ridiculous. I have another 40 to log and I don't know what to do. Besides being SLOW I'm getting the usual "Server too busy" or "timeout" errors. Bottom line is the servers are WAY TOO overloaded!

HELP!!!

Well there's still major problems it seems. It's taken me about 1-1/2 hrs to log 11 caches, ridiculous. I have another 40 to log and I don't know what to do. Besides being SLOW I'm getting the usual "Server too busy" or "timeout" errors. Bottom line is the servers are WAY TOO overloaded!

HELP!!!

Wait until tomorrow. Sunday and Monday are the worst times to log caches

I haven't had a good server day in weeks. Sure once in a while something seems almost the speed it should be, but not very often. I guess I'm just one of the people that gripes about this and prays for a better server. Jeremy has promised somethings, and somethings were temporarily done but we seem back at square one again. :lol:

Edited by Firehouse16

Just read the news about this evening's planned firewall and server upgrades. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: To be "back at square one," as Firehouse16 said, I wonder how many thousands of new geocachers would need to be kicked off the website permanently in order to get back to the traffic levels as they existed in, say, February before the most recent explosion in usage. Because unless you're dealing with the same traffic volume, you're comparing apples to oranges, right?

Edited by The Leprechauns

It would be interesting to know the number of members/caches in January compared to now and what the difference in the servers are? That would real interesting info!

Of course they're going offline right at the primetime in the west coast to log finds! :lol:

Well let's see if these new disks help.

Well let's see if these new disks help.

Unfortunately, they won't. :lol:

The upgrades tonight don't really address the performance issues with the site. Adding disks to the web server is just to increase disk capacity - primarily to handle the increase in images being uploaded to the site. In theory, adding disks to a striped array should increase the read performance of the array - but in our case, any increase is negligible.

Our current firewall is certainly way over-taxed and is passing at least twice the amount of traffic it was designed for. When it gets too frustrated from the abuse, it gives up and crashes. Because its so overworked and can only pass so much traffic, it ends up restricting the load on the site during peak times (which is probably a good thing). This new firewall won't have that problem so it may end up making the site worse in the near term.

There are many other upgrades coming. As Jeremy mentioned above, we'll soon be upgrading our database server and load balancing the site across multiple web servers. It'll be these upgrades that should significantly improve the performance of the site.

:( Elias

Auuuugh!!!!!!

Every time I try to bring up a cache page, I get this:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Geocaching.UserViewBehaviors.RemoveOldEntries() +171

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +92

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1077

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +325

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

==========================

<rant>

Now - I'm a pretty reasonable guy - but seriously.... How long is this going to continue. Or more to the point - what steps are being take to alleviate this problem?

I've heard that we're getting new servers, and that code is being moved to be more server-farm friendly. But, I've been experiencing problems with the website for the last six months (and I know that others have).

Six months is an awfully long time to be experiencing server overload issues without corrective action being taken. I'm not saying that the corrective action should be instantaneous, but six months? Really.

</rant>

I feel better now... Kinda.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

Geocaching.UserViewBehaviors.RemoveOldEntries() +171

Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +249

I can wait. It wasn't that important anyway. :D Hope you guys had a good weekend of caching!

-J

Thanks for the explanatin Elias. Is there any way you can post a log on message to the geocaching.com site that lets users know they may experience some problems due to heavy usage and suggest that they wait to log their entries until weekdays while this loading problem gets resolved? I'm afraid many new users won't come to the forums for an explanation of what is going on and will get upset and walk away from their newly found hobby of geo-caching. Anything to help with communications would be a giant step forward for everyone.

I am a new geo-cacher myself and am just now getting into the hobby. I'm envious of those of you who have thousands of finds. But, someday, I hope to be at that level myself.

Thanks for a wonderful pasttime!

iQueman...