Benchmark Challenge

Colorado Papa

OK, I have a new challenge. I was going to climb this Colorado butte to find the HK0510 station on top, but when I got to the base, I decided that a 75 year old should not be attempting this alone. So, if and when one of you want some company to log this mark, please contact me. This was the core of a volcano way back when.

HK0510'THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 9 MILES AIR LINE NORTH-NORTHWEST OF

HK0510'WALSENBURG, ABOUT 0.5 MILE AIR LINE EAST OF U.S. HIGHWAY 85 (Now I-25),

HK0510'87 AND HIGHWAY BRIDGE OVER HUERFANO RIVER, ON TOP AND NEAR THE

HK0510'HIGHEST POINT OF HUERFANO BUTTE. THIS BUTTE IS A MOST

HK0510'CONSPICUOUS, BLACK, ROCKY BUTTE, WHICH RISES ABRUPTLY FROM LOW

HK0510'COUNTRY TO APPROXIMATELY 150 FEET IN HEIGHT. THE STATION

HK0510'IS NEAR THE NORTH EDGE, 8 FEET EAST OF THE HIGHEST POINT,

HK0510'SET FLUSH, AND IS STAMPED, HUERFANO BUTTE 1949.

43f3a11d-843a-4936-9ad9-623605e9bb9f.jpg

TO: C. Papa

I have resolved that if I ever am in Colorado, I'm sending you advance notice and I want to accompany you on a benchmark hunting expedition. Not only do you have some interesting country to search, but I'm sure I'll see a whole new perspective through the eyes of someone from the "old school".

Since the HQ for our RE/MAX organization is in Denver, I believe I can make part of the trip tax deductible. [grin]

-Paul-

Paul,

Will be happy to have your company, but don't come during the winter. I'm one of those "Winter Texans" that likes to golf year-round. (I'm originally from Minnesota and married a Texan 51 years ago. I didn't like Minnesota in the winter and she didn't like West Texas so Colorado has been home for 41 years.) :mad:

Ted

On the topic of challenging marks, I was browsing marks in Yosemite National Park and came across HR2888.

This is the first TO REACH description I have ever seen that includes directions on where to camp. I got out my TOPO! software and traced the route indicated by the TO REACH and found it to be over 20 miles to the mark (one way). I'd say that is definately not a day trip! I can see why it hasn't had a posted recovery since the 50s.

I found it kind of humorous that the directions don't give distance but give time instead. I suppose that could be used as a rough guide but I'm sure that the distance that my grandma would travel in one hour is vastly different from what an Olympic marathon runner could do in an hour, especially at an altitude of over 9000'. :)

Here is an aerial image of the station and the recommended campsite. There be glaciers up yonder!

One item of interest I noticed: This is a triangulation station but the MONUMENTED description only notes the station disk, not any RMs or an AZIMUTH disk. Can triangulation stations be created without RMs or AZMIUTHs?

THEN WITH STOCK UP FERNANDEZ PASS TRAIL 6 HOURS

Could it be that "with stock" means you are on an animal, and "pack" refers to being on foot?

Knowing the time might be more valuable than distance under certain circumstances. Over level ground, travel is faster than climbing among the rocks. What the writer seems to be saying is, "This one is gonna take a while!"

I notice that National Park and state park trail maps have begun including the estimated time as well as the distance. Guess the rangers got tired of having to rescue folks who were out on the trail when darkness fell.

-Paul-

To answer one question, RM's and azimuth marks are not necessarily required.

Anyway I was tempted once to try to use a point on a peak to the North of Kings Canyon for some work a crew was doing in that area. It had a similar go to description. I think it was GT1860

Tri Station "Spanish", of course I didn't venture that hike.

One I did search for in the deep dark woods, that would be much easier to find with GPS is in Northern Washington and used for the survey of the International Boundary:

TR0980 Sumas This one was in deep dark timber and vegetation when I was there. We did not look for this one.

TR2662 Sumas Mountain.

Okay, it's easy to come up with hard ones to find from the armchair...

How much of a detour is Huerfano Butte from I-25?
sf,

The Butte is right along side I-25, maybe less than a mile on a dirt road. However, since I'm spending the time in south Texas, will not be able to meet you until April. B)

Coloradojeep,

Want to try it as I pass by enroute home late March or early April? Otherwise, will have to wait until Memorial Day weekend when we have the New Mexico get-together.

Edited by Colorado Papa
This one looks like it would be a interesting search. TT4911 If I lived anywhere near Alaska, I would go look for it.

Yerocrg

Wow. I wonder if this runway even exists anymore considering this a WWII era benchmark.

On a side note, there were battles with Japan in the Aleutian Islands during WWII. The proximity of these islands to Japan was probably the reason for the runway being built. The runway may have still been used during the Cold War but I would be willing to bet that it is no longer an active site.

If you don't own a boat, you would probably have to charter one to get to this mark. It's just a little off the normal cruise ship routes. :D