Waterproof Etrex?

I upgraded from my old garmin gps12 to an etrex legend because I dropped the old unit and it was no longer waterproof. I trusted garmins rep as a waterproof unit when making the purchase of the new one.

Upon inspection though, it doesnt appear to be waterproof, especially in the area of the battery compartment.

I will mostly use this in the car and for geocaching, but occasionally we will take it kayaking. For this reason mostly it needs to be waterproof, since kayaking is a pretty wet sport, and it may need to endure an occasionaly drop in a puddle or something anyway.

What are other's experiences with the waterproofness of this unit? I did a search and didnt turn up anything, so I thought maybe it hadnt been covered.

Michael

They are waterproof to a specific standard. You can look up what that standard means exactly on the net easily enough.

In real world experience cachers have had varied luck with waterproofness on all models. Some have had no problems and some have fried their GPS units. Most GPS units are waterproof to the same standard. In general Garmin/Magellal etc. will replace a GPS under warrantee that is damaged by water.

From the Garmin website

Most Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.

The exception to this is if the unit is dropped from a height into water (say off a bridge) where the dynamic forces result in water entering the unit.

WaterProof.. Submersible.. Spray proof.. What DO these terms mean?

MIL-STD 810 Immersion Standard, Military Specification equipment

MIL-STD 810 Blowing Rain, Military Specification equipment

JIS 2-8 Japanese Water Protection Specs similar to IEC529

CFR Title 46 Part 110.15 Aircraft Civilian specifications

IEC 529 European (ECC) water protection specifications

Of these, only IEC 529 (European Community Specification) and JIS2-8 (Japanese Industry Standard) have graduated test levels. These two specifications are very similar, but IEC 529 is gaining more acceptance in Europe which is a major market for many US manufacturers and is more defined in terms of the actual test. The table below gives a summary of the requirements for IEC 529 for WATER PROTECTION PROVISIONS.

Test

Level Definition

0 -----------Non protected, No special protection

1 -----------Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes.

Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

2 -----------Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees. Same as (1) above but unit is tested

in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degree in each direction from normal operating position.

3 -----------Protected against spraying water, Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at

a gage pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

4 -----------Protected against splashing water. Same as level 3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

5 -----------Protected against water jets Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of

12.5 liters/min at a gage pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

6 -----------Protected against heavy seas. Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate

of 100 liters/min at a gage pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

7 -----------Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

8 -----------Protected against water submersion The equipment is suitable for continuos submersion in water

under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

*Note: IEC 529 level 7 is designated "IPX7" and is equivalent to JIS 7. The position of "X" being left blank indicates that the unit has no special mechanical protection.

*Note: Garmin typically uses the IEC-529 spec for the design spec for water protection level for their line of GPS equipment. Marine rated GPS equipment is usually tested to IPX7.

It is on the Garmin web site but is not very easy to find.

On Garmin's web site, each model's waterproof specifications are listed on the product info. information for each seperate model. Just click on the model you are interested in and look under "specifications" or "features". Each model will tell you just what standards it is watrproof to, with a link to the meaning of the standards.

On Garmin's web site, each model's waterproof specifications are listed on the product info. information for each seperate model. Just click on the model you are interested in and look under "specifications" or "features".

But the specification table doesn't make it clear that the IPX7 rating does *not* include the battery compartment. From the manual for the Legend: "The internal electronics case can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes although water will enter the battery compartment." This is especially an issue when boating on saltwater since this can quite rapidly corrode the battery contacts.

I'd recommend use of a waterproof plastic pouch for the Legend and other GPS units despite the IPX7 rating for applications like kayaking.