Geocachers And Ebay.

Kit Fox

Am I the only one that has an issue with some geocachers on Ebay who sell caches made of bark and or hollowed out logs. Aren't there restrictions about moving any plant, or wood product out of state without getting it cleared with the Dept of Agriculture.

My concern is regarding the export of "problem species" like bugs, fungus, etc across state lines. Here in California we have lost thousands of Oak trees because of hikers tracking the harmful fungus or protozoa on their hiking shoes.

This sport is supposed to have a positive environmental image. My issue is with people breaking the law for profit.

What are your thoughts on the issue.

Please keep it on topic.

Before you go and label me a tree hugger and enviromental whacko, let it be known that I have voted Republican in every election for the last 11 years. I also am a member of the NRA. I do believe in common sense measures regarding the environment

Thanks Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox

Two thoughts:

1. You are right to be concerned. Not only could we get a black eye by hurting the environment around the cache, but also get one if the cops get to the cacher, before the offending cache is placed, many states have laws banning posession of illegal plants, etc.

2. What kind of lame-o needs to BUY a cache off ebay? I use Ebay for trade item purchases, and for other things, but come on, its not hard to come up with a legal container and some kind of label. Shall these people buy finds from other cachers on ebay so that they can raise their find numbers without leaving their computers?

___

Also a hard core republican, former NRA and ILA member (the ILA is what you join when the NRA seems a little too ***** on gun control...)

editied for content-this is a family friendly forum

Edited by CO Admin

If you are as concerned as your post suggests, perhaps you could get a more meaningful response by contacting the US Department of Agriculture or the Department of Agriculture in your own state. I don't know what good it would do to kick this issue around in these threads - seems to me it's be an exercise in futility.

If you are as concerned as your post suggests, perhaps you could get a more meaningful response by contacting the US Department of Agriculture or the Department of Agriculture in your own state. I don't know what good it would do to kick this issue around in these threads - seems to me it's be an exercise in futility.

I agree. I am not trying to dismiss your concern but this isn't the best place to bring it up. MOST geocachers don't read the forums so there's a good chance the one/ones selling this stuff on Ebay won't see this. You'll also get a lot of off-topic and uncalled for comments. (However, I DO think you are overreacting).

The best thing for you to do is to contact Ebay about the items you think are inappropriate. It would also be a good idea to contact the USDA or your state Dept of Ag to check on the laws concering this.

Oh yea - The only thing sadder to me than people selling "custom" containers on ebay are people buying them. (most I've seen are far cheaper to make yourself - there may be a few good ones out there but most have been pretty crappy).

southdeltan

Am I the only one that has an issue with some geocachers on Ebay who sell caches made of bark and or hollowed out logs. Aren't there restrictions about moving any plant, or wood product out of state without getting it cleared with the Dept of Agriculture.

Clearing moving wood across state lines. WOW! Now that would be almost an impossible task. Think about it!

My concern is regarding the export of "problem species" like bugs, fungus, etc across state lines. Here in California we have lost thousands of Oak trees because of hikers tracking the harmful fungus or protozoa on their hiking shoes.

I know how to fix that, a nice big fence around California. That would keep the bad guys out and even better the Californians in. :rolleyes:

This sport is supposed to have a positive environmental image. My issue is with people breaking the law for profit.

Must be a republican law.

Before you go and label me a tree hugger and enviromental whacko, let it be known that I have voted Republican in every election for the last 11 years. I also am a member of the NRA. I do believe in common sense measures regarding the environment

I'm so sorry. Oh, and isn't that an oxymoron republican and common sense?

:unsure:

Edited by Byron & Anne

Thanks Bill,

I find it hard to believe that tree hugger or environmental would be on that list of choices. :rolleyes:

Any lumber you buy locally was already layin' around, and was going into local houses, etc. But what happens when people load up the truck and move to Beverley? People transport so much stuff in this society....

Many years ago we got checked at the western Arizona border...do they still do that?

I'm so sorry. Oh, and isn't that an oxymoron republican and common sense?

Although off topic, your worthless opinion was noted. I was referring to myself, not the political party.

Most of you have misunderstood my point, I brought the topic up for conversational purposes only. If I was deeply concerned, I would have contacted the seller and the Us Dept of Ag.

Here is what I was referring to AuntiWeasel. since you made it personal: http://www.enn.com/news/2004-08-25/s_26486.asp

Oak Disease Spreads Via Human Hikers

Human hikers and mountain bikers are spreading a disease threatening California forests. The fungus that causes sudden oak death, Phytophthora ramorum, has killed thousands of oak trees around the state and afflicted other native plants such as rhododendrons and bay laurel with a leaf disease.

Previous work had found that the pathogen can be carried by hiking boots. Now J. Hall Cushman of Sonoma State University, California, has confirmed that forest lovers are helping to speed the trees' demise. Cushman took soil samples from forests seemingly clear of the disease and tested them for the fungus.

He found the pathogen frequently along trails, but not from samples taken just a few feet off trails. Parks with the most foot, horse, and bike traffic were more likely to have the disease than quieter parks. The findings, which could trigger trail closures in some parks, were reported at a meeting of the Ecological Society of America in Portland, Oregon.

Another example of a diseases spread my outdoor activites is whirling disease. This affects fish and is spread by fisherman who wade into the water.

In my opinion, common sense precautions should be taken when engaging in outdoor activites. this includes treading lightly, not putting caches in sensitive areas, etc.

Does this mean I shouldn't ship hiking staffs out of state? Lumber is constantly shipped around the country. I fail to see the big concern here. Being in the transportation business, the only restrictions that I know of is shipping plants and vegetables out of south due to fire ants (I learned this the hard way.).

There is also a restriction on importing wood into the US from China due to a nasty beetle. I'm not aware of any restrictions on transporting lumber across state lines. Of course I may be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Does this mean I shouldn't ship hiking staffs out of state? Lumber is constantly shipped around the country. I fail to see the big concern here. Being in the transportation business, the only restrictions that I know of is shipping plants and vegetables out of south due to fire ants (I learned this the hard way.).

There is also a restriction on importing wood into the US from China due to a nasty beetle. I'm not aware of any restrictions on transporting lumber across state lines. Of course I may be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

On ebay, they are selling untreated "chunks" of bark or logs with the bark still on them. I doubt your walking sticks are that much of a threat, but you should research the their legality. The burden is on you to know the laws if the Govt. ever wanted to prosecute you.

His description is equally amuzing. Here is the description"

Ultimate Bark Cache!!!!

This is a great cache!!! A fellow cacher will go "WEEEEE", after they discover it's hiding spot. This is the cache that will give another cacher a headache and you a smile on your face.

The cache container:

-bark pieces vary but all are around 10" long and 2" thick

-micro container held tightly on bottom of cache for a log and trade items

-micro container: 3/4" wide and 1" deep

(log and trade items in picture not included)

This cache is easy to hide, and it took me less than a minute to place in the picture shown. A good hint might be the only way someone has a chance to find this one.

You will giggle with delight after you get emails telling you how they walked right past it the first time!!!

Pick up some trash, the next time you cache!!!

geocachegeorge

Edited by Kit Fox

Not only across state lines, but across county lines as well, thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer.

The EAB Quarantine link opens up a PDF file that details the quarantine.

I see your point, as most people who are making money off the game are more than likely hasty in their manufacturing process. They go grab a log from their woodpile, or local wooded area, take it in their workshop. They probably then proceed to hollow it out, throw a lid on it, sell it on ebay and ship. Anything on or in the bark and wood, just got a free trip across the country where it gets placed in another wooded area(dont see many logs in the city) where whatever was living in it, now populates its new home. And yes, this is how many bad things for nature made it here, they were imported in and on goods from other countries.

I take offense at your 'most people' statement. Some people, perhaps, but you have no basis for painting everyone that sells geocaching-related items with that brush.

Edit to remove my comments to all but the current posts and to add that I hate when people drag up really old threads.

Edited by sbell111

Many years ago we got checked at the western Arizona border...do they still do that?

Yup. They still do. They're looking for fruit or veggies that may bring fruit flies or other crop eating critters.

I don't think any government agency would ever go to that much effort for non-agricultural (read: non-profit) species protection.

I think that geocachers caching in multiple states in the course of a day or two and having mud and bugs all over their clothes and boots and car is a much more likely vehicle for transmission of wee-beasties across state lines than caches bought through ebay.

Jamie