Pq Search Techniques

Blaidd-Drwg

A suggested improvement for PQs. I realize that any new feature requires time and effort in coding (I work for a government agency that developes code for artillery systems.) I believe that a great feature for PQ searches would be the ability to define the search area by either a Thrust or rectangular search. A Thrust search would involve identifying a start and finish points, along with a width. This results in half the width being on either side of the line. This effectively defines a rectangle. I believe many people who are planning trips would and could use this feature to identify caches along a route. The rectangular search would involve the user inputting the lower left corner and the upper right corner to define a rectangular area. Of the two methods, I believe the thrust method would be the easiest to use. The rectangular method would probably be less effective, since unless an attitude of the box is also coded, would result in a box oriented to the four cardinal directions.

That would be a very nice enhancement.

Even just min and max latitudes and longitudes would be a big step forward.

It's been suggested many times before.

I don't know why it's not in place yet.

I guess not enough folks have independently suggested it yet.

Anyone know what the threshold is before Jeremy takes it from "interesting idea" to "compelling - lets do it"?

I believe there are a few caching programs that combied will do this. I've read about them here somewhere. I believe one was using GSAK as the database to hold the waypoins and another to set the limits. I'm sure someone else will chime in and give better info. I would like to see a one step program do it myself, instead of several. SF1

I'm just a one stop shopping type of guy. I like to be able to do everything with one software package. I always hate solutions where the answer is 'go to this program and convert to this format, save, then go to this program and import, then load on your GPSr and hope for the best. I just believe my original post is an idea that many users of geocaching.com would appreciate and use. As I also said, I realize that time, money and effort drive the development, but I also believe that the user community needs to voice it's collective requiement desires.

yes.... it takes time to set up the proper pq's for a road trip. trying to get the distances down such that you can get caches near a particular route. If you drive anywhere close to cache dense areas (big cities), a 500 mile road trip could take 5-6 pq's and sifting, sorting, load into GSAK, export, load into expertGPS to see what you have, then tweak and tune the queries.

It would be much easier and effecient to be able to ask for what you want right up front.

My 2 cents worth!

GSAK does do this type of filtering and is more or less one stop. You need to have somewhere to store your PQ's anyway, why not GSAK. It will then export to just about anything you want, MapSource, your PDA, other programs.

If by "one stop" you mean your just using mapsource or some other provided mapping solution, you still don't get the descriptions.

I just offer this because, as stated above, I believe this is not high on the list since it, or something similar, has been suggested many times before. I also think it has got to suck up a bunch of CPU.

I beg to differ. GSAK is not anywhere close to one stop when it comes to this type of query. If I am traveling I-80 from San Fransisco to Chicago (2200 miles), I would have to setup probably 10 pq's because of area density issues. I would then wait 2-3 days for them to run. I would likely run a few more to fill in the gaps. Then setup the proper points in GSAK (it won't be pretty either), then perform the exports so I can read them in ExpertGPS to see them on a map what I need to clean out to get below my 500/1000 waypoint limit. So no, not one stop at all.

I believe that "one-stop" would be to similar to a Yahoo/MapQuest drive route, but all caches within say... 5 miles of the highway. I am not sure how this type of query would compare 5, 10 or even 50 different PQ's to get the same result.

I usually don't have time for level 4 or 5 caches while on the road, but I do once I am at my destination. But that would be a seperate PQ.

These PQ's as they are valuable at twice the price. This type of feature would be even more valuable.

** stepping off the soap box ***

Sorry, my "one-stop" comment was regarding the question regarding having to use multiple software packages, within the current parameters offered by Geocaching.com.

With this in mind, GSAK is a one stop solution. If you are looking to do it in 1 PQ for that distance it is not possible and judging from other threads, don't see it happening in the near future.

Right now, multiple PQ's are the only way to do this.

Sorry, my "one-stop" comment was regarding the question regarding having to use multiple software packages, within the current parameters offered by Geocaching.com.

With this in mind, GSAK is a one stop solution. If you are looking to do it in 1 PQ for that distance it is not possible and judging from other threads, don't see it happening in the near future.

Right now, multiple PQ's are the only way to do this.

If GSAK and ExpertGPS were one package, that would be one stop shopping for me! Oh, add the various PDA software packages also.