Attention! Always Carry A Map & Compass!!!

ATTENTION! always carry a map & compass!!!

WHY?

My Garmin GPSMAP 76CS died on a recent excusion in the Idaho desert.

NO SATELLITE ACQUIRE! Reloaded new batteries, reloaded 3.15 software,...DEAD!

She's going back to Garmin. I WOULD Like a UPS call tag, you know.

Take this as a reminder to Never Ever Never and Forever Never take thyself into thy goodnight without a map and compass and at least an eleventh-grade intellect.

:P:):):DB):D:blink:B):)B)

This maybe an obvious comment but...

Always look behind you on your way "out"... So you know what the trail should look like on your way back. Survival 101. 13.gif

Excellent advice, and something I've always tried to do. Several years back now, I ended up performing a stumble upon rescue of a couple mountain bikers in Southern Utah who had broke their GPS II when one of them took a fall. They had spent the night, were out of water, and going the wrong way down a dirt road when I came by them in my truck. No map, no compass, hadn't paid attention to their surroundings, simply trusted the electronics. Of course the GPS makes a great backup for the map when that strong wind gust comes by as well.

I hate to admit it but I've found myself lost a few times in the deep woods when my batteries crapped out on me. Nothing serious -- just ended up doing 3 to 4 miles of additional walking that I wouldn't have had to do if I'd been prepared.

At least I'm not like those idiots in the Blair Witch Project who got lost and kept finding themselves back at the same stream. Never occured to them to actually follow the stream.

Now you know the reason behind the weasel screen.

I remember back in the "old" days (say '94).... people in the Santa Cruz mountains would park their car in a clump of bushes, mark a waypoint and head out into the hinderlands..... when they cam back they could not find their cars....

of course back then SA was on... but still

That's why I never purchase a GPS with a built in compass. I always carry my trusty Suunto Global compass and topo maps and save money to boot!  :lol:

I carry three other compasses and a map of the area when I'm hiking besides the electronic compass I have in my MeriPlat. One on my wrist, one in my pocket, and one in my backpack. I also carry a lot of extra batteries besides the others in my other electronics as I try to aim at devices that hold AA's. Yes the electronics are prone to breakage due to any number of reasons, but they are trustworthy when you learn how to properly use them.

• Waypoint the trailhead and the car.
  • Make sure your track is on at it's highest detail level.
  • Minimize usage of the additional screens to conserve energy.
  • Carry it in a sturdy pouch. If it has a rainfly to help protect your GPS, so much the better.
  • Carry backup batteries.
  • Carry at least one backup compass and map. This last bullet should be part of your ten essentials.

Edited by TotemLake
Carry at least one backup compass and map. This last bullet should be part of your ten essentials.

There is one important aspect of carrying map and compass. Many people that travel in the woods don't know how to use map and compass to navigate. Therefore carrying map and compass may not be adaquate, you also need to know how to use them.

Byron

Oh, come on, guys. You are way too obsessed with safety and security. It's absolutely not necessary to carry a lot of extra batteries, three compasses, maps, and all that stuff. It's OK to rely on one GPS. Yes, if it dies, then you may get lost and that may be inconvenient. And then? So what? You're not going to die, you are just going to walk a bit more than otherwise. That's actually healthy and at least you have a little more adventure.

Oh, come on, guys. You are way too obsessed with safety and security. It's absolutely not necessary to carry a lot of extra batteries, three compasses, maps, and all that stuff. It's OK to rely on one GPS. Yes, if it dies, then you may get lost and that may be inconvenient. And then? So what? You're not going to die, you are just going to walk a bit more than otherwise. That's actually healthy and at least you have a little more adventure.

That may be true in places like Iowa, but there are plently of desert, mountain and forest areas I would be very careful wandering in. People are still getting lost in these areas, and dying.

Edit: typo

Edited by Elf Danach

Judgement is always required. I seldom carry a map where I cache, because it's never very far to civilization - a mile at most, in any direction, unless I hit the bay, and then it's not far along the bank to something. The map does me no good at all in a small patch of woods. But if you're going out into a wilderness area, with miles of nothing, then you need to change the way you do things, and carry more stuff. It all depends on where and when you're caching.

You obviously don't go very far do you?

I've been in woods where the trail is completely obscured by blowdowns and you have to leave the trail by 50-75 feet just to get around it. If you're around enough blowdowns, it is quite easy to get turned around if you're not paying attention. It also made me quite nervous not knowing what bearing my camp was at any given moment due to the multitude changes in the trail that the map didn't show. That's why I bought the GPS.

Yes, I do know how to read a map and use a compass. The three extras I carry are based on contingencies due to the types of trails I do find myself on. If I accidentally lose my backpack, I still have two more compasses to work with. If the one in in my pocket breaks, it is likely my watch might be shattered, so the one in the backpack becomes the backup. It doesn't add anymore extra weight than a few ounces. The extra batteries is just common sense if you expect your devices to work all day.

Obsessed? Yah - with making sure I can get myself out of trouble should I find myself in it. I can't always depend on the good graces of a stranger to help me out nor should I.

I can point you to an article where an experienced hiker got turned around, and stayed lost on the trail for 5 days after he was expected back. He found himself 30 miles away from the trailhead when he walked out from behind a McDonalds. I did hike that trail and I refuse to find myself in that same predicament. That is just as healthy and you don't find yourself using your survival skills to keep alive until someone has to rescue you. That happens all to often to people who think they can find their way out of a myriad of maze type trail systems.

It's OK to rely on one GPS. Yes, if it dies, then you may get lost and that may be inconvenient. And then? So what? You're not going to die, you are just going to walk a bit more than otherwise. That's actually healthy and at least you have a little more adventure.

Wouldn't it be nice if that were actually a true statement. Within 100 miles of my home, at least three people I know of have died in the last year because they got lost. In addition, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent finding and rescuing many others where the outcome was better. You've got to know your surroundings, the area you're going into, and use some common sense. If you're in a highly built up area where picking any direction and heading off that way will get you out of trouble shortly, thats one thing. If you're in a remote area, or one where surviving through the night, or more than a couple days might be difficult, you need to take extra precautions. If I'm out in desert, or up in the mountains I don't consider it going overboard to follow a couple common sense type rules to ensure my own safety. Not relying solely on an electronic item to navigate by seems like common sense to me....

Sure, use common sense, but for everyday caching, those extra items are unnecessary. I'm not talking about the occasions when you go to the middle of nowhere once a year for a few days.

I just recalled the TV program that I watched the other day. Some woman explained that if you go hiking, even if it is just to the neighbourhood park for an hour or two, then make sure you take with yourself food and water for 3 days, flashlight, batteries, emergency blanket, flare gun, whistle, complete first-aid kit and whatnot, and of course cell phone, and tell someone where you are going and when you are coming back, etc. Yeah right...

I'm just saying when you are going to your usual sunday afternoon caching trip to the city park then don't pretend that it's going to be a three-week survival tour in the jungle.

Sure, use common sense, but for everyday caching, those extra items are unnecessary. I'm not talking about the occasions when you go to the middle of nowhere once a year for a few days.

But I was talking about when I go on hikes. You merely assumed otherwise and called it obsessive. :D

For the everyday stuff, my backpack stays in the jeep, and I carry a fanny pack, or a belt pouch, or I just stuff my pockets.

Cheers!

TL

But I was talking about when I go on hikes. You merely assumed otherwise and called it obsessive. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "hike" doesn't necessarily mean a multiple-day wilderness tour dozens of miles away from civilization. You just wrote "hiking", which may mean a light one-hour walk in the nearest city park.

And why would you "accidentally lose your backpack", by the way? Does that happen to you often?

But I was talking about when I go on hikes. You merely assumed otherwise and called it obsessive.  :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "hike" doesn't necessarily mean a multiple-day wilderness tour dozens of miles away from civilization. You just wrote "hiking", which may mean a light one-hour walk in the nearest city park.

You still made assumptions - be careful with that. You lumped all my hiking into city parks. I don't do multiple days hiking yet, but that is planned for the future. However, I do full day hikes that are more than just a mile or two into a tame area.

For the sake of clarity, I consider a light one-hour "walk" in the nearest city park, just that; a walk in the park.

And why would you "accidentally lose your backpack", by the way? Does that happen to you often?

As an example, I'm hiking in areas known to have grizzley, black bear and cougar. To run as fast as I can (or faster than my hiking partner), and hopefully distract it, I would quickly lighten my load. I have also slipped off a trail on a very steep scramble once, and this made me very aware of how fast things can happen in the wild. The result is I plan for the contingency. I don't plan on the encounter, I plan on the contingency, therefore I'm not caught by surprise from it.

So while you sit there and try to ridicule me, I'll be comforted in knowing I'll be able to pull myself out of trouble in most situations and you'll probably be removed from the gene pool in similar situations. :D

==edited to add clarity==

Edited by TotemLake
You still made assumptions - be careful with that. You lumped all my hiking into city parks. I don't do multiple days hiking yet, but that is planned for the future. However, I do full day hikes that are more than just a mile or two into a tame area.

As I see it, it was you who didn't make any distinctions. The title of the topic says: "ALWAYS carry a map & compass". What I'm saying is: let's make a distinction. You don't ALWAYS have to carry a map and compass. Carry when it's necessary. And it is definitely not always necessary. Don't be paranoid. I usually don't carry a map and a compass (compass sometimes, but almost never carry a map: the maps you can get in bookstores are just not detailed enough (trails are not shown) and I won't go to the bookstore before caching anyway). And yes, I did get lost a few times, GPS lost lock, it got dark and everything, but other than having to walk 2 miles more and getting muddy, nothing serious happened. That was in a park about 2x3 miles in size (featuring a few really deep ravines and very complex terrain, so you cannot just walk through it). There's no way you will die in that park because you get lost. The worst case is that you will spend a few hours more there before finding your way out.

TotemLake is correct in being prepared.

I've hiked the Cascade Mountains of Oregon and Washington for well over 25 years. Every year we loose people. They go on a short day hike of only a mile or so. Weeks, months, and sometimes years later their remains are found. Most common mistake, thinking you are just going for a "walk in the park". A hike in anyplace but a city park, is NOT just a "walk in the park". Be a good Boy Scout and "Be Prepared".

As for me, on a day hike I carry survival equipment such that I could spend a night or two and still survive. I might not be very comfortable, but I have enough warmth to fend of hypothermia(space blanket, sweater, depending on the time of the year). Spending a night or two lost in the woods happens all the time.

Therefore, please don't scoff or attempt to ridicule people that want to take proper precautions.

Just as side note, if you were to travel to the PNW and went for your "walk in the park" and got lost, you could be charged for the cost of your rescue. Rescue cost run into the thousands of dollars.

Byron

You're not going to die, you are just going to walk a bit more than otherwise.

Actually, you may very well die. Hypothermia, for example, will kill you before you even realize that you're affected.

Wilderness safety is not something to be taken lightly, especially since everything you need to survive (besides knowledge) can be carried in a small belt pouch. Survival is 95% preparation.

Regards,

Anthony

As I see it, it was you who didn't make any distinctions.

Whatever. You called it obsessive and I responded appropriately. You made assumptions and I again responded to those assumptions. If you need a victory in that distinction, then the victory is yours.

Don't be paranoid. I usually don't carry a map and a compass (compass sometimes, but almost never carry a map: the maps you can get in bookstores are just not detailed enough (trails are not shown) and I won't go to the bookstore before caching anyway).

It isn't paranoia. It's being ready. Even half way decent maps without a trail system clearly marked will give you land features you can look for.

And yes, I did get lost a few times, GPS lost lock, it got dark and everything, but other than having to walk 2 miles more and getting muddy, nothing serious happened. That was in a park about 2x3 miles in size (featuring a few really deep ravines and very complex terrain, so you cannot just walk through it). There's no way you will die in that park because you get lost. The worst case is that you will spend a few hours more there before finding your way out.

That wouldn't have happened to me because I would have had the appropriate gear, and made sure I was out an hour before sundown. So you basically proved my point. Thank you.

Cheers!

TL

All relative to where you live. I used to live near El Paso and getting lost in the desert could definitely spell death. (and has countless times for some poor indivduals).

It isn't paranoia. It's being ready.

What about taking a little risk, just for the fun of it? No way, hmmm?

That wouldn't have happened to me because I would have had the appropriate gear, and made sure I was out an hour before sundown.

Bad for you. You are missing the adventure because you always want to be so terribly safe. I guess night caching is also ruled out for you? Out an hour before sundown at the latest, otherwise you may die! Or you only stay if you have eight different flashlights affixed to different parts of your body and of course a 20-pack of backup batteries and replacement lamps :)

Just for the record, I enjoyed being lost a little, it was exciting, and I would do it again any time! :lol:

It isn't paranoia. It's being ready.

What about taking a little risk, just for the fun of it? No way, hmmm?

That wouldn't have happened to me because I would have had the appropriate gear, and made sure I was out an hour before sundown.

Bad for you. You are missing the adventure because you always want to be so terribly safe. I guess night caching is also ruled out for you? Out an hour before sundown at the latest, otherwise you may die! Or you only stay if you have eight different flashlights affixed to different parts of your body and of course a 20-pack of backup batteries and replacement lamps :)

Just for the record, I enjoyed being lost a little, it was exciting, and I would do it again any time! :lol:

And yet again, you make assumptions. Try to squirrel out anyway you want...

Correct me if I'm wrong

You have been corrected several times by more than just myself. You just don't care to concede it. :)

Edited by TotemLake

There is one important aspect of carrying map and compass. Many people that travel in the woods don't know how to use map and compass to navigate. Therefore carrying map and compass may not be adaquate, you also need to know how to use them.

Byron

Very good point. I taught a map orientation class in boy scouts. You really need to understand the declination (difference between mag north and true north). After a couple of miles, you could be off course. Practice in a familar area before you go off on the "big adventure"

I read this thread with a wry smile throughout. All this reliance on hardware!

I am a Brit and in the normal course of events, have very little contact with the wide open areas of the world and adverse climes. However, I have learned to read the night sky and the sun movements so that I work out which way to go.

Yes! I do all the techie stuff and I can do the map and compass thing but I can always fall back on the mark 1 eye and brain.

These easily learned skills enable me to amaze the wife by heading off boldly in the right direction when we are out in the wilds of Norfolk (the original). With a quick look at the sky, night or day, I know which way to head.

I only mention this because I didn't see anyone else do so...

...mind you, I'd be stuffed in the southern hemisphere!