Geocacher's Day Out - Embra

marmal

Right, better get a move on with this, as I said I'd do it a not a lot has happened... Where does the time go?!

The next Gecachers' Day Out in Scotland is hereby declared for Saturday September 25th 2004. The location is the Water of Leith Cache Trail that runs through Edinburgh.

A Silver Thread in a Ribbon of Green

The idea is to start at the Balerno end and finish in Leith, doing as many caches as you like along the way. Some folks wish to do it on foot, others by bike, so you can decide whatever method suits you best. (Hopefully, skis will be ruled out!)

Then we can meet up again at the Leith end for a small libation and some scran!

I'll get the event page posted shortly, but if you have anything to ask right now please do so here.

Cheers,

marmal

Great Marmal :blink:

let me be the first to sign up B)

However, what if some like myself have logged a few or even all of the caches along the river ?? Is it enough that they just do the walk (or cycle) ??

Also, because I hail from Glesga, I will be coming in my car....which presents a problem if I leave it in Balerno and have to get back to it from Leith?? What a shame it can't be made a circular walk!?

Not having a bikes...I suspect it would take Angela and I quite some time to walk all the way from Barlerno to Leith...with nosh up stops on the way of course...which might mean we could be just getting to Leith in time to see you all head off home :P:)B)

I can see a bit of forward planning will be required here...within the rules of course...when they are posted!

Cheers,

Ullium.

You can get from Leith to Balerno via 2 buses. However, I hope to attend the event one way or the other - I may decide to cycle down even though I have bagged all the caches already. I would be driving from the Leith end with bike on roof, so there is a possibility that a few people could leave their cars at the Leith end, and book a seat in my car to Balerno. I would have at least 3 spaces, maybe 4 if daughter chooses not to accompany me.

(I could also take another bike - again if daughter chooses not to accompany me)

Edited by Firth of Forth

Ulliam,

I've done most of the WoL caches and I'm no fan of the gagglecache concept, but if I join the gaggle at the last cachesite, which is one of a few which I haven't yet bagged, or at the destination hostelry, I'd be very happy to give you and a couple of others a lift back to Balerno as it's pretty much on my way home anyway.

Better still, you could drop off your car at my place (near Jnct4 on the M8) at a pre-arranged time and I could drop you off at one the caches below Balerno so that you let the gaggle catch up with you somewhere close to the nether end of the trail. It shouldn't be too difficult to co-ordinate the timing, as collectively the forum has a lot of knowledge about how long each cache takes to reach and find. Also, a bit of tweaking to the timing can be arranged in realtime through intelligent use of cellphones, taking into account the actual speed made good by the gaggle. I would then bring you all the way back to your car after the apres-cache soiree without going a single metre off my homeward journey.

Sorted!

Cheers, The Forester

Edited by The Forester
if you have anything to ask right now please do so here.

I've got a wee suggestion to make, Marmal.

Let's all get our heads together to make an approximate estimate of the estimated time of arrival of the walking gaggle at each of the caches.

This will enable those who wish to meet up with the gaggle further down the river to co-ordinate their timing of intercept.

Collectively, there is a lot of experience of WoL cache-hunting right here on the forum, so I'm sure we can come up with a realistic ETA at each of the caches, taking into account the likely search time for each of them and the walking time between them. Most of the caches are quite quick finds. The longest search time I've had was at one for which I did not have the co-ordinates, though I used GPS :rolleyes: (Forgive me, Lord, for cheating. I'm a Surveyor!) That one took me about 15 minutes. The rest took about 5. (I haven't yet done the Colonies multipart one. I'll do that on the Day)

If others who have bagged individual WoL caches can supply their search time for each of the caches then we can come up with a pretty good estimate for the ETA at each cache down the line.

This is for the walkers only. The biking teams, such as Firth of Forth and Roolku, are much more likely to want to start at the top end of the trail as their transit time is a small fraction of the walking time and anyway they have much more scope for varying their whole journey time as bikes have a much greater range of available speeds than Shanks's Pony.

Cheers, The Forester

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the idea is that everyone sets off at exactly the same time and finds all the caches together as a very large group. I think that the idea is that people set off at an approximate time, in groups of their own choosing and at their own pace, either on foot or by bike, choosing which caches they want to do. Obviously people will meet up at cache sites, have a chat and go on their way.

As for meeting in the pub at the end, we will make sure that there are at least a few cachers to welcome the varying groups of 'gagglecachers' from a prearranged time.

I can see a bit of forward planning will be required here...within the rules of course...when they are posted!

I could foresee that some organisation would require to be posted before the event took place and this is what I meant when I made the above comment :rolleyes:

Personally I really don't think it is possible to bag all 17 caches in the one day ... given that most cachers are probably not quite as efficient as the Forester in finding and dealing with the caches :unsure: But I realise most, like myself have already notched up most of them and their are at least two which are out of commision. Even so, it would be a considerable undertaking :huh:

If I manage to get over to Balerno early enough to start the 12 mile or so walk, I will be surprised if I can make it to Leith before tea time ... perhaps a tune up of my supercharged zimmer might be in order :huh::o;)

Er....maybe I can bag to be one of the ones who gets welcome everybody to the meet up point (which is hopefully a hostelry of good repute !?) in Leith ??? ;)

Hahahahaha!!!

Ullium.

I've done most of the WoL caches and I'm no fan of the gagglecache concept, but if I join the gaggle at the last cachesite, which is one of a few which I haven't yet bagged, or at the destination hostelry, I'd be very happy to give you and a couple of others a lift back to Balerno as it's pretty much on my way home anyway.

Gaggle noun 1flock (of geese). 2 colloquial disorganized group.

Not the first time you have used this word to describe an event. If you don't like the concept, then what I always say to people that say I don't like the idea of that, is, JUST DON'T DO IT No one is forcing you.

I'd quite like to do this by bike and am looking for a partner, GSOH, NS..... oops wrong forum.....

No seriously, I'd like to tie in with another biker and arrange cars, bike racks etc for each end. Also good for guarding the bikes, chaining together, drinking (non alhcoholic whilst cycling only!) etc. The aim of the day?? ALL the caches of course!

If interested, contact box number... There I go again......

Also, because I hail from Glesga, I will be coming in my car....which presents a problem if I leave it in Balerno and have to get back to it from Leith?? What a shame it can't be made a circular walk!?

I will give Marmal some information on parking, and the 2 buses which you will need to get from the parking place to Balerno, then from Leith back to the Parking. This will cost no more than £2 for the day.

The parking areas will be either in a DIY carpark or a superstore carpark. If anyone is against this then please say so.

I agree with FoF that going in one big group is neither feasible not desirable. At the last SGDO groups were forming and disbanding dynamically and I expect an even higher diversity on the WoL trail. Keen cachers wanting to do all caches on one day (a record not yet achieved) will probably start at 6am while the local cachers who only got a few caches missing from their list might have a later start. I think the fun will be to meet different people at different caches and if you can't find a particular cache, there is a good chance someone will catch up with you and together you get a better chance in finding it.

And for those people who think they have done them all: There will be multi-cache with virtual stages along the whole trail. So no excuses for not walking/cycling the trail again. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Roolku

I agree with FoF that going in one big group is neither feasible not desirable.

So do I.

The original gagglecache concept, which involved a rigid (albeit botched) start time for the gaggle to set off, was never a good one.

A more fluid flowing one, in keeping with a river's meander, is a much better description of a good day out. Much more like the meniscus of a river's flow.

Cheers, The Forester

Hydrographer

I'm off tomorow and will scout a few things out for the event page - should be posted soon.

My thought for the day is that I'll be there at the start to see everyone off, then we all meet up at the end - whenever we get there. And I'm going to be walking, so that's probably not going to be much before closing time!!

If folk want to set off in a group or on their own, it's entirely up to the individual. Like some of the others, I've done a few of the caches already so I'm going for the walk and the get-together at the end.

I'm not a drinker - Malteasers are my drug of choice - so I should have the motor available to do some taxi duties. Done that before at a cache event...

I'll put together some transportation ideas for the event page including some parking locations and bus routes. Haggis Hunter has already put links to bus route timetables on the cache listing for A Silver Thread in a Ribbon of Green.

Hopefully, there should be enough information availble for everyone coming along to sort out something that will suit them.

Of course, if you need anything else keep me 'posted'!

cheers for now,

marmal

The Forester,

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner but what with PC connection problems and bagging caches in Embra...I have got a wee bit behind :lol:

It is very decent of you mate to offer my wife Angela and I a lift back to Balerno and we might even take you up on the offer ... thankyou! :huh:

I rather imagine that there will be more than Ullium & Angela looking for a lift back to their cars and apart from the kind offers of lifts from FOF and yourself I have no doubt others more than grateful for a lift :o;);)

Mark you after 12 or 13 miles I might be getting a lift in an ambulance :o

FOF & HH,

I was in Leith today being entertained by a few of FOF's caches and I was gobsmacked that when I was bagging the Royal Botanical Garden and one of the upper WOL ones ... I was not all that far from Leith ... I really can't believe the distances I am now walking (only back at the New Year I couldn't walk 500yds)... and all due to the exercise I am getting geocaching ... most of which is down to guys and gals like yourselves who place these caches...you have my gratitude :o

I know I moan sometimes about some of the cache locations...but just ignore me...if it wasn't for the fact that I am being forced to stretch myself ... I wouldn't be improving at the rate I am ;)

Even though I have only been geocaching a few months...I could write a book about my experiences ... it might not be a best seller...but I'm certain it would get a few laughs :o

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

Ulliam,

I hope you will take up my offer for you to leave your car at my place halfway from Glescae to Embra and do the car sharing thing. I've a got a secure double garage which will be almost empty for the day and will have plenty of room for one or two cars, so you can safely park there for the day and I'll deliver you to whichever WoL cache you want to start at and then I'll collect you from the destination hostelry (or wherever if you do a Paula Radcliffe :lol: ); and return you safely to your car.

Still got room for one more Weegie! Any takers?

BTW, a wee birdie tells me that there will be a new mid-Scotland cache, not terribly far from Forester Towers, which you can sneakily bag before tea and biccies at my place before we set off for Embra.

I think it will be a grand day out.

Cheers, The Forester

I agree with FoF that going in one big group is neither feasible not desirable.

So do I.

The original gagglecache concept, which involved a rigid (albeit botched) start time for the gaggle to set off, was never a good one.

A more fluid flowing one, in keeping with a river's meander, is a much better description of a good day out. Much more like the meniscus of a river's flow.

Cheers, The Forester

Hydrographer

RIGID, BOTCHED, GAGGLE (which means disorganized) How the hell would you know, you never came to it. What you are implying is that I couldn't organize a P*ss up in a brewery. :lol::(

Whilst I am on my high horse, for a Hydrographer, I think you should take another look at what meniscus means. For the Water of Leith to have this it would require 1 of 2 things which it does not have.

1. An extremely steep curve going down a hillside.

2. An extremely large tube.

Just in case you are wondering I am extremely peeved.

Well, much though I hate to enter the fray :lol: I do think that the meaning of meniscus in this context is possibly its original one, that of any crecent shaped object (ie the crecent moon from which it is derived). Use of this word in association with rivers can be found in some literature and I interpret it as referring to the river's meanders.

Martin

meniscus

Yes I'm certain The Forester meant this word to convey the Govanite definition of 'Meniscus' which is the concept of lots of people standing or moving in a line....i.e. 'Many is Queues' :(

RIGID, BOTCHED, GAGGLE

You really will have to choose your words more carefully The Forester...either that or emigrate....er quickly ;) (Just kidding of course!!).

I WAS at the last 'bash/day out' and it went very smoothly indeed and that was mainly down to HH's organisational skills....and I think I speak for everyone when I say we all had a great time and wouldn't have missed it for anything!!

I'm certain this coming one...albeit a different kind of meet up....will follow in the same mode :lol:

Ullium.

But I realise most, like myself have already notched up most of them and their are at least two which are out of commision

There is only one cache ('Dell Boy') that is currently archived, and hopefully it will be back up and running in time for the bash. The coordinates for 'Bramble Path' have changed due to pipe laying. Otherwise all is well.

There is only one cache ('Dell Boy') that is currently archived

Yes sorry FOF...only one officially archieved at the moment (I believe I was the one who discovered it had been muggled !!) ... though of course that could change as I suspect there may be another which has been muggled....but I could be wrong !? :(

Just one more point....while doing Colony Co-op yesterday the path north was blocked due to some fallen trees....also last weekend the path was blocked between Dell Boy and You Plonker Rodney....hopefully these obstructions will be cleared by the time the date for the day out comes around ;)

It was quite amusing that at the bridge near Colony Co-op the council had put up a notice warning walkers of the danger...but they had used the back of a 'Danger Thin Ice' warning and it had turned around giving out the wrong message :lol:

Ullium.

Mady....will you be joining us all for the walk along the WOL??

We seriously need someone with a sensible nickname like your's along :D:D;)

I can forecast some rather large gaps in the long queue of walkers on the WOL that Saturday...especially around certain people....who shall be nameless....but suffice to say I could be one of them :(:D:lol:

Ullium.

We would love to attend but unfortunately, after two weeks off due to chest infection/pneumonia, I'll almost certainly be back offshore when the event comes about. Also, despite having spent all of my formative youth in Musselburgh, we now live in Shropshire (less cold and damp for Lynn's arthirtis) so a long way to come although not prohibitive.

Incidentally, Lynn couldn't walk more than a few 100m a year ago and now thanks to this wonderful persuit can manage several miles a day.

Martin & Lynn (and, of course, the 'wee beastie' Maddie)

There is only one cache ('Dell Boy') that is currently archived

Yes sorry FOF...only one officially archieved at the moment (I believe I was the one who discovered it had been muggled !!) ... though of course that could change as I suspect there may be another which has been muggled....but I could be wrong !? :lol:

and I suspect you are not keeping up to date with events. :D:(

And to lie to poor unsuspecting fishermen... tsk tsk ;):D

Roolku

Roolku....you clever dog....is this one of the caches where the clue is meant to put one off :laughing::(:D

And this better not turn out like another cache I had to log a DNF at ... when later it mysteriously turned up in the very place I had been looking :laughing:

I'm beginning to lose count on the number of caches I have now found muggled...but even so ... Angela and I don't give up easy...though in this particular case Angela stood aside and let me do the lying ... sorry... searching :D

And to lie to poor unsuspecting fishermen... tsk tsk

Hahahaha...well I did say I would return when there was less of an audience...and now that I am assured that it is there....I will be back sooner rather than later....you don't happen to have the best parking co-ords perhaps :lol:

;):D:D

Ullium.

I do think that the meaning of meniscus in this context is possibly its original one, that of any crecent shaped object (ie the crecent moon from which it is derived).

Almost exactly right, Martin (of Mady), but not quite.

A river's flow is a fascinating path. The water at its edge flows slowly; in the middle much faster.

Think of the Nigerians (I know that you too have been there and have done disting) who paddle their canoes up/down the Niger delta's myriad rivers. The upstream guys always hug the shore; the downstream guys choose the centre of the flowline. That's smart thinking and shows a good understanding of the hydrodynamics of any river.

If you were to simultaneously drop ten rubber ducks into the river colocationally at regular spanwise intervals and then track them downstream, you would see them spread out, in planform, as a crescent or meniscal formation. That is the meniscus to which I referred.

It all gets much more complicated by turbulent flow, as you and Mr Reynolds know very well, but the basic principle remains. The centre of the river flows much faster than at its banks, meanders notwithstanding.

While walking down the path alongside the Water of Leith some years ago, I was asked by my companion "Are we walking faster or slower than the river?". It was a good question and was one which requires intelligent thought, not dismissal, despite its complexity in the non-linear world in which we and chaos co-exist.

It would all depend upon which of those ten rubber ducks you watch.

It is a complex thing, but endlessly fascinating, as any good riverside walk is.

I'm not going to put a Pound or a penny on which of those ten rubber ducks would win a race from Balerno to Marmal's chosen hostelry in Leith, but I hope to be there at the finish and I expect to be in good company.

Cheers, The Forester

I would like to apologise to The Forester for having a go at him about MENISCUS. You see us un-educated heathings aren't used to a such flowery portrayal of life.

Thus when such words are used we have to turn to the ever given bible of the dictionary, which in this case didn't give the full details of such a word. We are duly endebted to you Forester for your great knowledge of many things.

Cheers

Humble pie eating, Dictionary reading Haggis Hunter

P.S. Any mistakes in spelling I had not used the dictionary as I was too busy eating pie. :D

I thought with all the dictionary entries, I was reading a Countdown fanclub's forum! At a lecture I once attended, the lecturer wrote 'Cognitive Dissonance' on the board and asked the assemblage of blank faces if they knew what it meant. My mate replied "Is it the Countdown Conundrum?" :lol:

The event page will be posted tomorrow - as long as I get back from St. Abbs intact!

As I said earlier, with the variety of people going, some walking, some cycling, some wanting to do loads of caches, some just doing the walk having done all the caches, I did not expect everyone to head down the River at the same time. And it's no fun if someone else finds the cache! Much better that everyone leaves a nice clear path for me through the undergrowth! All that is needed is that everyone check in at the outset and meet up at the end, or let me know if they're shooting off. Details will be on the event page and on the day.

Travel arrangements - brief notes

Parking. There is some car parking in the street at the start point, if you want to leave the motor there. I think Haggis Hunter's suggestion of parking at a halfway point is a good one - not a lot of free parking in Embra. I'll put a variety of parking locations on the event page.

Buses - The 44 is the only one for Balerno, but there are a fair few between central Edinburgh and Leith. Again, some suggestions will be on the event page. The £2 day saver ticket is, ahem, just the ticket. You could jump on and off buses all the way down the river, if you like! Or would that be Buster Keaton?!

Train - Get yourself to Haymarket, then catch the 44 in Dalry Road.

Transporter - Get Scotty to beam you direct to each co-ordinate in turn. If only...

Here, this event page is going to be a bit on the long side is it not? What have I let myself in for?! :)

Cheers for now,

marmal

Now, 2 from the top and four little ones, please Carol...

Last call / request for a biking companion please!

We are intending to cycle from Balerno, but will have two bikes to transport ourselves. I haven't bought our bike rack yet though - in fact we haven't ever used one, so I'm not sure how many they usually hold. This probably doesn't help much but maybe it's a start as we also have to figure out a way to get back to the car from Leith.

FOF has kindly offered to take me from Leith (where I will leave my car) back to Balerno. I'm sure that we can do something in reverse if you leave yours at the start then someone (me?) can give a driver a lift back at the end? So don't worry about me and my bike - I'm looking for the company along the way. Is this any help?

I've been out of circulation for a few days. Is the event cache page now up and running? Have I missed it or is it still with the approvers? Hope there isn't a problem with it!

I've obviously not been able to read the cache page, as it isn't listed yet. I do however know that it is still with the approvers. Come on guys this is an event that people want, were we are going to collect caches and have a chat along the way, with a drink and get together at the end.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help Marmal out if there is some sort of problem, as I know you will as you are great guys :blink::huh::blink:

I have tried to order the Water of Leith cycle map from Spokes / Bike Trax.

Here's the reply I received:

***Spokes Map Orders - Edinburgh Map***

We are currently awaiting the new edition of the Edinburgh Spokes map from the which is on its first print run at present. We had expected the new edition to be available sooner but this should be available in the next couple of weeks. Will will process and send all orders which include the Edingurgh map as soon as we have new updated edition available to us.

(The old 6th Edition of the Edinburgh Map is now completely sold out)

Best Regards,

Biketrax

(Biketrax processes orders for maps on behalf of Spokes)

Don't tell me that Angela and myself are going to be the only ones who are walking from Balerno to Leith on Saturday ??

Shame on all you super fit guys who are reaching for your bikes :D:laughing::bad:

It's only 13 miles max....maybe four hours plus easy walking....and that includes bagging a few caches on the way (hopefully) :bad:

Ullium.