Ever Had A Brilliant Travel Bug Idea Stolen?

Shoobie & the Sand Crabs

My first travel bug I had a brilliant I dea so i hooked up a boy scout council patch and sent it out. Now this truly was an oringinal idea but then a month ago I looked up council so i could find my bug and There were tons of council patch bugs ( I only found one that was placed before mine. ) I wasn't very happy. the Tb is Buckeye Council TB

Edited by Shoobie & the Sand Crabs

I can easily see caching being poplular with scouts and their groups. Its perfectly logical to send a bug out for the entire scout group to watch and what better to send than their ID of sorts.

Might do the same with my son's Cub Scout patches. See how many other packs and dens it can be photographed with.

Great idea thanks.

<snip>I mean com'on were geocachers not the most highly intelligent creatures on the planet.<snip>

I beg to differ. After reading a forum thread about some of the different occupations and some demographics, I can say for sure that the people who posted were WAAAYYYY above average in intelligence. I would venture to say that you could probably put up a group of geocachers against most any other group and not only would they hold their own...they would probably kick some...you know! lol

And besides, when you said that, you put yourself down too. Not a good thing :)

pam

I looked at every single picture (really! I was bored at work one day) of the travel bugs in the gallery only to find that every "cool idea" I had was already taken. So I had to find something that was unique to me and not worry about what the rest of the world. However, I'm going to "steal" your idea (now that you've pointed it out) for my brother's troop.

Kinda somewhat related:

One night I woke up at 3am with the idea for a "safety compass" - you know those sharp metal spikey things with a pencil in them that kids draw circles with in school. Anyway... I had this brilliant concept, got to work, typed "safety compass" in google and lo and behold someone had already beaten me to the punch (by years)...

Rats!

X066308.JPG

I looked at every single picture (really! I was bored at work one day) of the travel bugs in the gallery only to find that every "cool idea" I had was already taken. So I had to find something that was unique to me and not worry about what the rest of the world. However, I'm going to "steal" your idea (now that you've pointed it out) for my brother's troop.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!! :lol::):)

Shoobie,

It's is very, very, very, very possible they never ever saw your travel bug page. Have you any idea how many travel bugs there are? Click on a cache near you, view the state map, zoom out. You see more Travel bug icons than you do caches! Now you take that many people, that many travel bugs and somewhere along the line there is bound to be a duplicate, or triplicate, or mulitple more similar ideas. Why, just in the last 10 minutes of browsing the travel bug forums I saw 2 travel bugs, both were "Snoopy". Charles Schultz is probably turning over in his grave right now with the number of Snoopy dogs out there. Believe me. Geocachers are not a bunch of idea stealing thieves you make them out to be. They just happened to have the same idea. It happens to everyone. I am going to close this thread now. I'm sorry if you feel so strongly about it, but no one is stealing anything.

Kinda somewhat related:

One night I woke up at 3am with the idea for a "safety compass" - you know those sharp metal spikey things with a pencil in them that kids draw circles with in school. Anyway... I had this brilliant concept, got to work, typed "safety compass" in google and lo and behold someone had already beaten me to the punch (by years)...

Rats!

X066308.JPG

that was a really good idea. I could really use one of those. Now do you understand what you mean. My condolences :):anibad: .

Just happened to come across this TB tonight and thought of this thread. It was started months before the OP even joined geocaching. I know I've seen others 2-3 years ago as well.

As someone else stated, geocaching is full of intelligent, creative people (as well as a few morons! :)), it's pretty hard to come up with an idea that some cacher 1000 miles away didn't already do a year ago.

Just happened to come across this TB tonight and thought of this thread. It was started months before the OP even joined geocaching. I know I've seen others 2-3 years ago as well.

As someone else stated, geocaching is full of intelligent, creative people (as well as a few morons! :lol:), it's pretty hard to come up with an idea that some cacher 1000 miles away didn't already do a year ago.

I don't see any council patch. See this one is different then mine. they are just regular old patches for cub scouts. So i still have the power to say that they did steal my idea.