Good Idea Shut Down

BlackBuck

I went out with my daughter to hide a cache in the shoreham area(l.I.).This was a spot I havent been to in ten years.It's an amazing group of glaciel erratics one being over fifty feet high.which for us long islanders is a big deal!When we got there the place was trshed th e rocks had graffiti on them,there was a couch, car parts,whole cars,and tons of broken glass.So I had to bail on the hide.the whole area is very pretty but has been trashed by quads and dumping I even saw a boat on the trail.I felt like that indian commercial. Well just complaining Ill post the co,s if any one wants to hike there.

Don't shoot down a good idea. Hold a CITO event! Just look through the CITO pictures pinned at the top of the CITO threads to see what a difference a few dedicated cachers can make. Work with the town, see if they will providea dumpster or dump truck to haul it all away. Don't give up, fix it! We CAN make a difference and shine a good light on geocaching at the same time. If you post it, they will come.

Hey Rozz, if you hold a CITO event you know I'm in. Might even be able to come up with a dumpster and some equipment. What are the coords. Who owns the property? Suffolk, NYS?

I know just how you feel. I scope out a place on the North Shore in Riverhead. The view was absolutely incredible but when I entered the trail what I found nearly made me puke. Not kidding about that either. Check out the very end of Roanoke Ave and you'll see what I mean. The whole thing made me so agree I left there cursing and wanting to beat the hell out of someone.

Maybe I should take Planet's advice as well.

The co,s are 40.57.490n 072.51.807w.I think this spot is way past a cito,it would require some heavy equipment to remove the cars and boats,not car parts and boat parts but whole cars and boats.There is TONS of broken glass which i wouldnt even know how to remove.Im not sure who owns the propert but it,s very close to the l.i.p.a. right of way.Thats a shame about roanoke Thats a great place to fish and has a nice view,Its no wonder the north shore is so up tight about parking.

The co,s are 40.57.490n 072.51.807w.I think this spot is way past a cito,it would require some heavy equipment to remove the cars and boats,not car parts and boat parts but whole cars and boats.There is TONS of broken glass which i wouldnt even know how to remove.Im not sure who owns the propert but it,s very close to the l.i.p.a. right of way.Thats a shame about roanoke Thats a great place to fish and has a nice view,Its no wonder the north shore is so up tight about parking.

Every little bit helps!

Post an event. Contact the local parks and township.

Call the papers and had JMB tell WB11 to get their butt out there again.

I was very surprised to see the turn out at our CITO event, as well as the support we go from the State Park Dept.

If we really want ot get crazy, we can find out who owns it and if it's privately owned maybe we can get Suffolk County and/or Brookhaven Town (or Riverhead) to buy it. OR, we can have fund raisers and buy it ourselves under a non-for-profit corp. The first ever geocaching parklands. Access by caching permit only. :o OK, fishing too.

Edited by JMBella