20 Nearest Caches

avroair

They're too difficult and I'm too lazy. I've already captured all the "low hanging fruit" but I'm chipping away at all the more difficult ones slowly but surely. In my location, the reason isn't terrain so much as the very tricky puzzle caches. The local cachers on Aquidneck Island are very clever and devious.

They're too difficult and I'm too lazy. I've already captured all the "low hanging fruit" but I'm chipping away at all the more difficult ones slowly but surely. In my location, the reason isn't terrain so much as the very tricky puzzle caches. The local cachers on Aquidneck Island are very clever and devious.

Oh, come on...we aren't *that* devious! :anitongue:

Has that Island sunk any yet, from the weight of all the caches there? I was there in early '04, can't wait to go back some day.

To stay somewhat on topic, yeah, I'm chipping away at the more difficult ones on my list.

1. It's a puzzle. (I don't like being made to do homework in order to go out and play. I'm too old for that.)

2. Is a multi that requires to me to visit a benchmark across from my office. I've been there enough times.

3&4. I've been there.

5. Newer cache, but last time I was at that park someone smashed my car window and stole my purse and a yellow jeep TB along with it. I'm once bitten twice shy about going back there, no matter how nice it is.

6. Is in a park I used to go to a lot for baseball games, and I don't want to go to it again. I know the muggle factor, and I've already been there.

7. I plan on visiting it, I've been busy. I've been there, but it's a great hike to do again.

8. Temporarily disabled.

9. A puzzle cache.

10. Ditto, there's that puzzle issue again.

11 & 12. both in parks I've already visited.

13. Brings me into downtown nearby city (ick, ptooey, I'm a country girl!). Um, no thanks! That's not hiking, that's like shopping. I dislike shopping and I dislike downtown traffic.

14. Looks like a roadside cache near a highway entrance. I don't even think there is a park there, it's not even in the park and ride, so I have no idea who's property it's on, but I don't believe it's public property and I haven't checked it out, I do drive by there all the time, so maybe I'll look and see if there's a trail, but in all my years living here, I've never noticed a public land there, but it is possible it's owned by the Forest Association. they have a piece of property on the main road near this cache.

15. Is something I've driven by for years, I feel no need to get up close and personal with it.

16. Forgot it was there, close to a few of my own, and now I see it's full of water since 9/1/06 and the owner hasn't visited the site since 4/29/06.

17. Is by a mucky pond, and I've been there many, many times for Realtor caravans and a wedding.

18. Haven't gotten around to it.

19. I've been to it twice by boat, but we couldn't reach it and I was busy fishing. Figure i'll do it by canoe or kayak instead of motorboat to get in closer to land.

20. I already did two caches in that park.

And that is going out from .4 miles to 5.3 miles, out to page 3, and excluding ones I found, I placed or helped to place. I cache away from home most of the time, it's more fun to get outta Dodge.

And what Jonboy said.

Edited by Planet

Ok so I banged out 16 of my closest 20 this past two days and was greeted with another 20. Imagine that! And they are still all within 9.5 miles of my house!

1. a puzzle -- not too hard, just haven't been in that direction

2. the kind of micro I hate -- DNFed yesterday

3. multi -- haven't got to it yet

4. in the meadow lands -- yuck!

5. a multi that I DNFed yesterday -- the description was in the hint so I didn't feel like doing a ROT 13 for a whole chapter.

6. haven't got to it yet, similar cache was right there before

7. disabled

8. see 6

9. multi just out the range of my field of vision

10. pain in the butt puzzle and dhenninger won't give me a hint!

11. another multi --- lots of these popping up lately

12. I can now see I gotta go SW to mop up 5-6 caches down there

13. unlucky --- a puzzle in hoboken. parking is a nightmare!

14. easy been to that park before

15. its in a quarry

16. in an icky swamp

17. also in a quarry

18. lame micro

19. once again in the same quarry

20. just outside that same quarry

Nextweekend I should have 1 or 2 removed from my 10 mile radius...

Ok so I banged out 16 of my closest 20 this past two days and was greeted with another 20. Imagine that! And they are still all within 9.5 miles of my house!

1. a puzzle -- not too hard, just haven't been in that direction

Nextweekend I should have 1 or 2 removed from my 10 mile radius...

Oops. Sorry about that, avoair. With any luck, a new 'hard' mystery cache should be appearing on your horizon. :laughing: (The devil made me do it.)

I'll trade you the three quarry caches for the five kayaking caches on my list.

The ones close by that I havent found yet all have many DNF's logged. There is one cacher in my area that does not maintain his caches. Its a shame cause when I see them on my list I really would like them to be removed or maintained.

I even went as far as emailing the placer to ask him to accompany me on my venture and he didnt respond. I think he enjoys reading those DNF logs.

Of the twenty closest to me: (not counting the ones I CAN'T find because they are MINE!)

1 (3.9 miles) a jonboy cache that requires crossing the river . . .

2,3,4,5 (5.1 to 5.3 miles) are all on West Point Property, and I don't feel comfortable poking around a Military Base with a gps . . . :laughing:

6 (5.3 miles) another jonboy cache that require I cross the river (my cousin and I will nab this and #1 together)

7 (7.2miles) has been attempted by Walkin' Ed (not found), me (not found), and another seasoned cacher (not found);

8 (7.4 miles) ditto #7

9 (8.3 miles) another jonboy cache, which I always put off to do after I've already done a jonboy cache, and if you have done any jonboy caches, the legs are quite rubbery when done, so this one simply hasn't been found . . . . yet

10 (8.6 miles) and I didn't know that this one existed.

By this time, I am already on page 5 of my list; I am so close to the Hudson River that being 8 miles away might actually require a 30 mile one way drive.

I am not too ashamed of this list, with the exception of not having found the three jonboy caches.

Interesting topic... especially to a relative newbie (less than 3 months, 39 finds).

So here are mine - these are the 20 nearest that I HAVEN'T found; my area is pretty saturated (nearest cache to me is 2 blocks from my front door!), and I've found plenty within the same areas as these 20:

#1, .79 miles away - Webcam cache at a local university. I'm not interested in doing it.

#2, .81 miles away - very difficult woodland camo micro in an overgrown area, with coordinates that the hider states on the page may not be accurate. I took a brief look about a month ago, but it was way too thorny; I'll go back in the winter, when the underbrush is less.

#3, 1.11 miles - The cache has bad coordinates, which put searchers literally on the property lines of three private residences, overlooking one home's backyard pool, and overlooked BY the upper story windows of two of the three. Using coordinates gleaned from the logs puts you a bit further away, but still in plain sight of the windows. I went to look for it a couple of weeks ago (not realizing the circumstances) and within a short time found myself being stared at by a cop in an unmarked car, most likely called by one of the homeowners.

The hider had a good idea in wanting to let cachers know about the nearby museum, but having people repeatedly invading the privacy of homeowners isn't on. IMO, he really needs to move the cache further away from the homes.

#4, 1.14 miles - was archived before I got a chance to look for it, due to a nearby homeless camp.

#5, 1.76 miles - had to abort recent search because elementary-age soccer practice (it's a public park, soccer is Rec&Parks league) started right there just as I began looking. Will go back during school hours when it's quieter. :mad:

#6, 1.85 miles - on the trails of a local park, where I frequently hike, but in a back corner where I don't normally go because it isn't an enjoyable hike in warm weather (swampy, mosquitoes, etc.), and parking nearby to it is frowned on by "upper class" residents. Will get around to it one of these days, in cooler weather.

#7, 1.87 miles - Puzzle cache which can only be done at night. Too much hassle, and I didn't feel safe in the area the one time I checked it out.

#8, 1.91 miles - New cache in a suburban park I didn't know about. It's on my "To try sometime soon" list.

#9, 2.01 miles - numerous logs saying it was probably muggled; only recently fixed by owner. Near a school, and no nearby parking. Other caches by this hider are ones I consider problematic (including #'s 3 and 11), so I'm hesitant to try for it.

#10, 2.07 miles - In the same park as #6, on *another* trail I don't normally hike because it's too close to private residences, plus it's a woodland micro (not my cup 'o tea). Will probably get around to it one of these days, though.

#11, 2.07 miles (different direction) - numerous DNFs, with logs saying searchers were scrutinized and yelled at by nearby residents. No thanks.

#12, 2.19 miles. I found the hide spot, but the cache was destroyed - this has subsequently been verified by the cache's owner - either muggled or washed out by recent rains. Not particularly surprising that this was placed by the same guy who owns #'s 3, 9, and 11. (Seems like a nice guy, and some of his caches are cool, but I get the impression he doesn't consider locality as well as he should.)

#13, 2.23 miles. Multiple DNF/think it's gone logs, going back several months, but the owner hasn't checked it yet. Not going to waste my time unless he verifies it's there.

#14, 2.23 miles. Tricky urban micro in a high-traffic area in front of a business. Not really my cup of tea, so I may or may not look for it one of these days.

#15, 2.25 miles. In a small neighborhood park in a direction I don't normally go. Will get around to it one of these days.

#16, 2.28 miles. Requires hiking in a watershed area I don't normally frequent because it's hard to find parking, there's a lot of trash, and the tick population is high. That park has a dozen or more, which I may look for during the winter when ticks are down and usage is less.

#17, 2.34 miles. Another out-in-the-open urban micro (it's in or on a roadside sign), with a very busy major road 10-15 feet away. I've looked for it briefly, but didn't feel comfortable. May or may not try again.

#18, 2.34 miles. Multi-cache; not my cup of tea, so I most likely won't bother with it.

#s 19 and 20, less than 3 miles - both in the same park as #s 6 and 10, both in areas I don't normally hike to because they're not particularly pleasant hikes. I'll probably get around to them some time this winter, when heat and mosquitoes aren't a factor. I have, incidentally, found all the caches in that park that *are* close to my normal hikes, as well as one that's not on my normal round but close to one of the two places I usually park.

Edited by cimawr

They are 3.7 to 19.9 miles away from my home.

The nearest was temporarily disabled because the owner was supposed to go sign the permit form at the parks office. It's been "temporarily disabled" since 5 July 2006.

One is a micro that went missing that I haven't looked for since it was replaced.

One looks like it requires a boat.

The rest are grouped by trip routes, as in I'll take a Saturday afternoon and get X number of caches along this route. 3 are a single bicycle ride on a rail trail.

Part of it too is my recent general attitude toward many caches. The caches I want to log are the ones where you look at the cache description page and the 5 most recent logs are not from the same year. I walked an additional 1.8 miles each way this spring while I was fishing to log a cache. Walk 12 miles to find tupperware and try to trick trout with fake bugs.

I have some caches in mind I want to log. One is a day-long hike. The other is 2 caches on a day long hike. Might try to convince my brother-in-law to go on the day-long hike for the single cache this fall. There are others that are lesser hike but similar situations.

Updating, just for the heck of it...

#5, 1.76 miles - had to abort recent search because elementary-age soccer practice (it's a public park, soccer is Rec&Parks league) started right there just as I began looking. Will go back during school hours when it's quieter. :P

Went back just before dark a couple of days ago, and found an older soccer league playing under lights. Ran some errands, came back in the dark after the game, and found it. :lol:

#8, 1.91 miles - New cache in a suburban park I didn't know about. It's on my "To try sometime soon" list.

Stopped to look for this one after finding #5 (both parks were on my way home); cache was in the underbrush way in the middle and I, being a dunderhead, had forgotten to stick my small flashlight in my pocket. Decided to come back another day, since I couldn't remember if it was a micro or a regular... but on getting home & reading the cache listing, found it had been disabled that afternoon because it had been mowed over. :D

#10, 2.07 miles - In the same park as #6, on *another* trail I don't normally hike because it's too close to private residences, plus it's a woodland micro (not my cup 'o tea). Will probably get around to it one of these days, though.

Happened to go out with only time for a short hike, and on a whim went and found it.

The 20 nearest caches that we have not yet done range from 4 mi. to 7.8 mi.

The 3 closest we have yet to do are night caches, if weather permits we are going to try for those this weekend.

1 we did try and got a DNF, we will be going back for it.

The 16 left we just have not tried for yet. When we head out we usually head out in a region, like SW, E, etc. we have been concentrating on finishing up the S, SE, and E areas from our home, haven't done much N, W, NW from our house, that is where most of those 16 are, but we will get there.

We don't get out as often as we would like, I would have loved to go out today, but it is raining here in Jersey :)

Edited by Teamcoz

3.3 to 12.7 miles away...

9 are members only. I have no need for a membership unless I would really really need to do these caches.

4 are micros.. I'll do them if I am there.. but won't make a specail trip.

1 is BRAND NEW.. only found out because of this thread.

1 is a puzzle that has me puzzled

1 requires me to either wade in the river of get the canoe loaded. The water is low enough now.. I should do it.

4 are on my list for when I am going that direction.

I choose my caches based on where I want to go and don't really pay much attention to distance except as it relates to how much time I have available.