Help Me Please

Baldy

I already have a GPS and I've used it a few times. I just want to learn how to use it in this fashion.

Pretty simple...To start, go to the "Hide and Seek" area on the geocaching homepage. Type in a search for the area you want to look in. Pick one or two of the easier ones to start with, click on the corresponding page and type the listed coordinates into your GPS. Now go look for your treasure!

After finding the cache, sign the log book and place the cache back in it's original position, go back home and log your find on the cache page.

Pretty easy...There's more to it but you will find it by poking around the site and doing more caches.

After finding the cache, sign the log book and place the cache back in it's original position.

Ah, so it's the finding it part I'm doing wrong.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that...I should have said "I've HEARD that others sign the log book after finding the cache!" :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard! I strongly urge you to pick some "regular" caches as your first attempts since they tend to be larger, easier to spot when you get close and a tad more satisfying o find when you're starting out.

Let the co-ords you enter get you close and pay attention! Not all GPSr's will take you straight to the cache but instead will indicate to you a small area to concentrte your search.

Look around when the GPSr says you're close, any hollow logs? suspicious piles of brush. Sometimes a popular cache will have a path leading to it from all the cachers.

Enjoy yourself ou there. Don't be frustrated if you don't hit paydirt the first time out. It takes some getting used to.

Can someone please help me to learn this game? I want to play but I don't know where to start. I live in Rogers Park, Chicago. Thank you all!!

You've been a member since July of 2002 and you don't know how to geocache yet?

I don't get it.

I got the GPS two years ago as a gift and used it only for hunting in Colorado to mark vehicles and animals. I haven't used it since. I just remembered I had it and decided to try my hand at this game. It's been sitting in a drawer for almost two years. Get it?

Do a zip-code search to find caches around your town. If possible, find one in a park you're more familiar with, so parking and finding trails won't be so much of an issue. Before you leave, make sure to read your GPS's owner's manuel or look it up online so you can use the navigation features (very handy in geocaching).

Edit: remove link that wasn't working...

Edited by Enspyer
What is the correct setting for the position format? I am on hddd mm'.mmm'....what do  these letters mean anyways?

I don't know what the h is but the ddd is degrees, the mm is minutes and the .mmm is decimal (fractions of) minutes.

That's the typical setting for geocaching

Maybe the h is for hemisphere which is indicated by a plus or minus sign.

Edited by Thot

baldy, you've gotten some good advice and some not-so-good advice.

for sure do a zip code search for caches in your area. pick one or two that are not very difficult (they have difficulty ratings), have fairly large containers, and have been found recently.

you may even wish to read other people's logs about the caches. some of us don't like to read the logs beforehand because they sometimes contain spoilers, but it's probably best to read them on your first couple of tries.

PRINT the page out (use the print friendly option) and bring it with you. sometimes it contains information that you don't always recognize as important information.

i'm assuming that since you're already used your GPS unit for hunting and such that you already know how to enter a waypoint. enter the coordinates for the cache, hit "goto" and you're in business.

find it, sign the log, and if you like, make a trade. try to make a fair trade.

you will find that there are no shortage of opinions in the forums about a variety of things, so if you have questions you can always ask. when you ask, try to have your question worded specifically enough so that you'll get specific answers that will be useful to you.

I tried Robespierre's link and it appeared to be broken. I suggest you try (not necessarily in this order):

The Geocachin FAQ

Geocaching Guide to Finding a Geocache

Markwell's Update to the Geocaching FAQ

Geocacher University

Texas Geocaching Association (I know you're not in Texas, but it has some good info)

Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint

A Lexicon of Geocaching

Today's Cacher Online Magazine (Hi Pyewacket! :lol:)

Geocaching Today Online Magazine