Magellan Explorist 200 Or Garmin Legend

luckyzac

Of those two I would definitely pick the Legend. The lack of a computer interface on the eXplorist 200 is very limiting -

no downloading of waypoint data (incl. geocache locations)

no recording of trips for future reference or exchange with others

no possibility of connection to a laptop for use with other navigation programs on trips

no option for downloading detailed maps

no option for uploading tracks of trails in your area prior to hikes

etc.

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=MAGMRD59802 $169 New.

In terms of units in the entry level price range, this is the bargain to beat right now. With 128MB SD cards hovering around $20 on the street right now (and they'll only fall) you can't complain about limited map memory. You'll have a unit that comes with a PC connect (and cable!) and is upgradable to hold topo maps or even deliver turn-by-turn directions depending upon which mapping software you buy.

It has nice growth opportunities for that price. Entry level pricing, but you can turn it into an autorouting map monster if you want.

I had one of the explorist 200's for a few days. Great 14channel receiver, but very limited... The lack of PC interface is crippling to say the least. How would you ever upgrade the software??

I ended up returning mine and jumped on the Legend for $99 from campingworld.com. Couldn't be happier. Hard to beat the legend for the price they get. If large map capability is a priority then the Magellan can't be beat, it was just too big for me.