Thanks Lassitude!

Fantastic! <_<

I received my copy this morning, and have spent the last 15 mins watching my new screen saver!

I am very impressed by the time and effort that Lassitude has put in to this creation. If this is celebrating your 400th cache, then I cannot wait to see what you produce for your next milestone. :)

Congratulations on reaching 400 caches and producing a fantastic screensaver

Andrew

We were going to email our thanks to you but we'd rather says thanks in public!! :huh:

Thanks very much Lassitude, very cool screensaver(s). :rolleyes: we haven't been switching off the PC as much since, it's great to walk back into the PC room and just sit and chill out for a couple of minutes, daydreaming at the pictures in between doing the normal around the house stuff.

Wonder what the postman thought though when he delivered a package addressed to Choccy M and M !!! :unsure:

Posted on Aug 29 2004, 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Firth of Forth @ Aug 29 2004, 12:05 AM)

(note no apostrophe Pooter - have you not read 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves':excellent book!!) 

I haven't read the book, but doesn't the apostrophe signify that there is an abbreviation, i.e. photo is short for photograph? 

Adding an 's' is making a plural of a singular word. No apostrophe required. In fact, I saw a sign outside my local Safeways a while ago, saying:

"Photo's developed here".

Although I felt like going in and telling them they had got it wrong, I resisted. A few weeks later I noticed that the offending apostrophe had been covered up.

Way way off topic now!

Edited by Firth of Forth
Adding an 's' is making a plural of a singular word.  No apostrophe required.  In fact, I saw a sign outside my local Safeways a while ago, saying:

"Photo's developed here".

Actually, I think Dogastus is correct. An apostrophe can signify missing letters, as in can't or didn't, therefore photo's is an acceptable abbreviation for the word photographs. If he had written Photograph's than that would be an incorrect use of an apostrophe. I think we can all stop being pedantics now.

T

P.S. I know a pedantic person is a pedant before you all start

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

To quote from 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves':

".. it is generally accepted that familiar contractions, such as bus (omnibus), flu (influenza), phone (telephone), photo (photograph) and cello (violincello) no longer require apologetic apostrophes".

I recommend the book - it is amazing that someone has managed to make a very dry topic (punctuation) extremely readable and funny.

Edited by Firth of Forth
Don't forget all the waypoints of the featured caches are in a folder on the CD. There should be a format to fit most people.

Unfortunately EasyGPS which I use cannot open any of them :lol:

Been penciling down the waypoints of all the ones that I want to find out more about and searching the site.

Rather pleased to see all 11 of my photos used on it :o

I think Water Lillies and Gower Pyramid are my happiest ones :huh:

Go to Bute for the day and find a big debate about aberrant apostrophes.

I reckon that once you get into "it's generally accepted" territory, you can do what you want. By the way, Pedants Stone, GCJNJV is on the disk.

Sad person that I am, FOF, I spent ages trying to work out who took all the Scottish photo's.

Edited by Pooter
Go to Bute for the day and find a big debate about aberrant apostrophes.

I reckon that once you get into "it's generally accepted" territory, you can do what you want. By the way, Pedants Stone, GCJNJV is on the disk.

Sad person that I am, FOF, I spent ages trying to work out who took all the Scottish photo's.

Do you mean Pedants' Stone? :lol:

Hahahahaha.....I love this forum :D

I agree with you Pooter....the written language is an ever evolving animal....so don't you listen to that big bad FFB :D:D:D

I was sent, with some other Scottish managers, on of one of those managerial courses for grammar and spelling and it was an American lady who was giving it....we all sat with our mouths open as she came away with the most outrageous statements on the English language from her USA educated point of view :lol:

My own yardstick is if a statement gets the message across with no dubiety ... then spelling and grammar are secondary considerations ;)

Anyway how did I miss out on this screensaver offer ??

And isn't it costing poor Lassitude a fortune on CD's and postage ???

Ullium.

P.S. missed out an 'it' :(

Edited by Ullium

Hi Ullium

Actually, I'm not in the habit of hanging around "jammy lucky boring old farts" but I'm sure he's a very nice gentleman!!! :lol:

I'd challenge him to a shooting match but I'm hopeless at trying to hit moving targets! :D But give me a .762 and a target 1,000 yds away and we'll see who can hit nearest to the centre!

:(;):D

Edited by Leoness

Thanks as well. Mine arrived today - excellent prompt service from Chris. I didn't contribute to the photo collection, but there is one of my caches on it! Well worth sending Chris some cash via PayPal for a CD in the post as my phone line is still in the dark ages - Broadband expected here October....... 2005 ;)

I downloaded the program and have it as the screensaver on my laptop. I was watching TV last night and had left the laptop sitting there -- I glanced over to the laptop during a commercial break and was very surprised to see a shot from near one of my UK caches (Jones-ing) at Canary Wharf! Since most of the photos are in rural settings it was cool to see a skyscraper in the mix.

The shots are awesome! I have had my wife watch them to get her interested/excited about a trip across the pond. Maybe I can get the whole family/caching team there soon.

Thanks to Chris for putting this together! And thanks to everyone for contributing your shots of cache locales!!

I'd challenge him to a shooting match but  I'm hopeless at trying to hit moving targets!  ;)  But give me a .762 and a target 1,000 yds away and we'll see who can hit nearest to the centre!

:P  :P  :P

Speaking of pedant's:-

Wow ! an elephant gun ! .now a 7.62 or a .308W are one thing but that’s a cannon !! And at a thousand yards !!!!!!..With 125 gn heads you must be stuffing in at least 60gn of 10x …….impressive ! Shoulders like a Bulgarian weightlifter ..eh? ;)

Edited by Flyfishermanbob