2004 Nj Cache Hunt Thread

Geoman007

I know I had nothing to do with this, but this reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Elaine are fighting over an old-style kid's bicycle which each has valid claim to. They take the issue to the impartial Newman who uses his Solomon-like wisdom and comes up with a plan. He announces that it is only fair to break it in two and give half to each! Then the "true owner" of the bicycle, err... plaque, should likely not wish to see it broken and will concede it to the other party. Then you can reward the bicycle, err... plaque to the "true owner"!

I know this was appreciated, glad I could help. :huh:

I know I had nothing to do with this, but this reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Elaine are fighting over an old-style kid's bicycle which each has valid claim to. They take the issue to the impartial Newman who uses his Solomon-like wisdom and comes up with a plan. He announces that it is only fair to break it in two and give half to each! Then the "true owner" of the bicycle, err... plaque, should likely not wish to see it broken and will concede it to the other party. Then you can reward the bicycle, err... plaque to the "true owner"!

Thanks for that Crouching Hinker, Hidden Cache. This thread needs some humor to loosen the tension :huh:

First off, it wasn't me who first suggested this, it was in fact most of the other geocachers that I happened to talk to over the phone during the hunt.

It's first mentioned in the 10th post to this thread. Who authored that post? Don't care about phone calls, private e-mails, etc.. They are not "public record."

Its only a game!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone not personally involved in this, though it's "only a game", I play most games seriously and "to win". It's actually hard for me to deal with my kids sports and the concept of "no one wins, no one loses". Why are we playing the game? Sure, you want to be a good winner and a good loser, but even in a game, someone wins and someone loses.

Its only a game!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone not personally involved in this, though it's "only a game", I play most games seriously and "to win". It's actually hard for me to deal with my kids sports and the concept of "no one wins, no one loses". Why are we playing the game? Sure, you want to be a good winner and a good loser, but even in a game, someone wins and someone loses.

I guess I'll leave you out of my bi-monthly poker night.

I didn't think there was anybody more competive than myself - I only have two modes: deadly seriously competitive and fun. If you think geocaching is a competitive sport - you actually need to get out doing more competitive sports. I'll obsess about finding a particularly hard cache - but if there's any competition - it's only with myself. Anyone looking to win in a game with no validation of actual results is.... well, more competitive than I am.

It's an excuse to go hiking - that's all. You guys are arguing over a plaque that's going to sit in someone's basement. The statewide hunt's just another (good) excuse to do this geocaching thing as part of a group. Anyone who really gets bunged over who "wins" this really takes the cake.

I can see it now... competitive "trick or treating" at Halloween. Come on - give it a rest. It's just silly - and I'm sure less than fun for the guy who actually put all the effort into setting up this game. I'm hoping none of the folks who I've turned onto geocaching recently see this type of bickering and think this is what it's all about.

... this reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Elaine are fighting over an old-style kid's bicycle which each has valid claim to. They take the issue to the impartial Newman who uses his Solomon-like wisdom and comes up with a plan. He announces that it is only fair to break it in two and give half to each! Then the "true owner" of the bicycle, err... plaque, should likely not wish to see it broken and will concede it to the other party. ...

I haven't watched a TV sitcom in at least the past 25 years, so I have to ask: Did they each end up with a unicycle?

I haven't watched a TV sitcom in at least the past 25 years, so I have to ask: Did they each end up with a unicycle?

No, as predicted, the logic worked. Elaine says something like "ehhh whatever, go right ahead", then Kramer declares he'd rather give it to Elaine than see it broken. So Kramer ends up with it. I have the episode electronically, maybe I'll correct this to match the exact responses later tonight. :P

Edited by Crouching Hiker, Hidden Cache

Hart: I completely agree and what I mean by "win" is not necessarily a contest against others. Just like when I play golf, I'm playing against myself and I go out to do the best I can. I get upset at myself if I hit a bad shot. Same with geocaching - I go out to find the cache. If I don't, I'm disappointed in myself.

As for a competition with others... I guess if this specific event was that, I'd say I would be out to win it. From what it appeared to be to me, it was sort of a race.

I'm not a FTF freak and the ones I have found first (maybe 3, maybe 2) it was cool but I don't go out just to be FTF. One was one of BPs caches before he pulled them all (and I think the cache that initiated the removal of all his caches) I found with my daughter and she still talks about it and has the 1st place ribbon on her wall and the other was the RocketMan cache which is near me and I wanted to get my first geocoin. I 'beat" a couple people to that one before they made it out that day. I don't know if I've had any other FTFs.

But if we all agree it's a game, then I've never heard of anyone that plays a game to lose. Even Charlie Brown plays to win.

Geoman007 Let me interject here and say that BNB & I do not need/want the 1st place plaque from the “3rd Annual 2004 NJ Statewide Cache Hunt” nor have we been advocating that anyone relinquish it. There is no need to issue two first place awards. We do not need an award to verify our accomplishment. We have sent the 2nd place plaque to Kber who deserves recognition for his individual efforts. Our intention is to promote Sportsmanship and to try to make a complicated situation as right as it can be. We have not made any posts accusing anyone of cheating nor have we pressured or even contacted anyone in an attempt to claim the 1st place plaque. As a matter of fact BNB & I went back out into the field for several hours after we completed the hunt to verify that caches had not been tampered with. We have tried to do everything we possibly could to salvage a negative situation and promote sportsmanship throughout this event. But the IMPORTANT thing is that we had an absolutely great time participating in the event and that is really all that matters! We compete against ourselves and have already moved on to our next cache challenge/adventure - with us it is about testing our limits and we do not need an award to verify our accomplishments. There is no argument here – it is time to put all of this aside, take good will gestures at face value and let Sportsmanship prevail. :P

I just want to say that Geoman did a great job and he deserves a big thanks. This event is a choice. First to participate and second to continue. Personally I felt that there was alot of driving up and down the state,but both Lakelady and I chose to continue. And we got to see alot of places both in daylight and in the dark that we would'nt normally have seen,even if we had to use flashlights. We are going to finish this weekend and do some other caches in the area. Because there was alot more driving involved than last year, unless there is a circular route next year I think I'll take flying lessons :P. I liked etoast66's idea about everyone meeting to get the coordinates, and a BBQ after. Geoman don't get discouraged with all this, and whatever you decide to do next year I will be looking forward to it. :D

Edited by JoiseyGirl

Geoman007,

You will be receiving directly from Amazon.com a gift certificate for $230.00. This is presented to you in appreciation of your creativity, time and effort in planning and executing the 2004 NJ State Hunt. We all had a bunch of fun, and truly appreciate your overseeing this event. Thanks again.

Absolutad, BigNastyBrain, chstress53, Dirty_Bird, etoast66, joelsd, JoiseyGirl, KBer, Lakelady, shannicat & bugbait, skully & Mulder et al., TeamHopewell, unimoggers

Geoman007,

You will be receiving directly from Amazon.com a gift certificate for $230.00. This is presented to you in appreciation of your creativity, time and effort in planning and executing the 2004 NJ State Hunt. We all had a bunch of fun, and truly appreciate your overseeing this event. Thanks again.

Absolutad, BigNastyBrain, chstress53, Dirty_Bird, etoast66, joelsd, JoiseyGirl, KBer, Lakelady, shannicat & bugbait, skully & Mulder et al., TeamHopewell, unimoggers

I think that would have been an absolutely beautiful gesture if it had remained private.

Geoman007,

Hey, I'm thinking running a statewide cache hunt this weekend.

I think that would have been an absolutely beautiful gesture if it had remained private.

If you participate in the hunt next year and decide to coordinate a gift of appreciation, you have a chance to improve upon the way its done. Of course, I understand its so much easier to do what you do.

Of course, I understand its so much easier to do what you do.

That is, "speak the truth as I see it." It's not necessarily easy, but such things need to be said. If you're telling me that declaring publicly that a gift of appreciation would be forthcoming was an integral part of the gift, then the gift was probably something less than a gift of appreciation.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Geoman007,

You will be receiving directly from Amazon.com a gift certificate for $230.00.  This is presented to you in appreciation of your creativity, time and effort in planning and executing the 2004 NJ State Hunt.  We all had a bunch of fun, and truly appreciate your overseeing this event.  Thanks again.

This from a man who logs caches "privately"?

Please - it's nothing but a nice gesture of thanks.

Besides, I heard the actual amount of the gift was $843.24 but KBer was being cagey. :rolleyes:

Geoman007,

You will be receiving directly from Amazon.com a gift certificate for $230.00.  This is presented to you in appreciation of your creativity, time and effort in planning and executing the 2004 NJ State Hunt.  We all had a bunch of fun, and truly appreciate your overseeing this event.  Thanks again.

I think it's a great gesture! And more so when a group wants to congratulate publicly.

Sounds like BP is envious that he wasn't the recipient.

That is, "speak the truth as I see it." It's not necessarily easy, but such things need to be said. If you're telling me that declaring publicly that a gift of appreciation would be forthcoming was an integral part of the gift, then it wasn't really a gift of appreciation at all.

Hmm, I don't recall saying that - and you'll notice my response has not been edited. I'll let KBer speak (if he chooses) to why he announced the gift.

As always, you have every right to your opinion. I think it becomes quite easy to voice if you've already alienated everyone and have no fear of damaging a relationship by doing so.

Geoman007,

BRAVO! BRAVO!

:rolleyes:A very nice gesture. Hats off to you all. :blink:

... you'll notice my response has not been edited. As always, you have every right to your opinion. I think it becomes quite easy to voice if you've already alienated everyone and have no fear of damaging a relationship by doing so.

And you'll notice I did not alter your words. I don't geocache in order to establish "relationships." If people are offended by my words, that's fine by me. Let them examine why they took offense. I couldn't care less.

I'd say "focus, boy," but I know you can't.  So I won't.

Another "truth", I guess. How is it you came to know me so well? The only time we met, you wouldn't even acknowledge your true identity.

No, this is called "bantering." Your inability to focus is evidenced by how far off-track you have taken the discussion. But as you know, I couldn't care less, so "you win." You may now revel in your own excrement.

Another "truth", I guess. How is it you came to know me so well? The only time we met, you wouldn't even acknowledge your true identity.

"Considering" "the" "number" "of" "positive" "relationships" "he" "has" "established", "would" "you" "reveal" "your" "true" "identity" "to" "someone" "you" "met" "in" "the" "woods"?

No, this is called "bantering." Your inability to focus is evidenced by how far off-track you have taken the discussion. But as you know, I couldn't care less, so "you win." You may now revel in your own excrement.

All I have done is respond to your statements. If anyone has taken this discussion off-track, I don't think it was me. As for you not caring less, I "think" just the opposite and every additional post you make convinces me more.

I think the gesture by the participants is a tremendous one and I see nothing wrong with it being "announced" here. No different then all the public announcements I get for caches on my watchlist for those that post a note and then immediately delete it.

I think the discussions around the statewide hunt probably peaked everyone's interest for next year. Maybe if the number of participants is higher next year, the limit can be raised to include more folks or make an event out of it as was discussed in the thread. I know my kids thought it was cool, though 2 days traveling back and forth across the state with them in the car didn't sound like my idea of fun.

:o Oh Vey! Some people can find criticism in anything. I wonder if a passerby rescued crippled children from a burning orphanage, some people could possibly find fault. :o

eToast66 said:

"...I'll let KBer speak (if he chooses) to why he announced the gift."

We sent Geoman007 a similar gift last year. Since their was so much controversy and disagreement about the hunt this year, we thought it would be a nice gesture to publicly announce the gift as a united group. All of the major parties to the controversy readily and enthusiastically contributed to the donation. While we vigorously disagreed with each other, at the end of the day there was no animus or ill will. I thought posting the gift on the board would be a way of demonstrating good sportsmanship as a group, and end the 2004 NJ hunt on a very positive note.

Geoman007 is an incredible young man who is still in High School. For better or worse he has had to deal with quite of bit of strife during this hunt. We all believe that this small token of appreciation would be just a nice thing to do, there were no ulterior or nefarious motives, how someone can possibly construe otherwise is positively boggling.

When the email went out to solicit for the donation, there was absolutely no obligation, nor any posting of the amounts that individuals contributed. The amount of the contribution was besides the point, the gesture was the meaningful part. We received a donation from a person who was not even able to participate in the event, one contributor even drove to my house to deliver the funds.

BrianSnat wrote:

"Hey, I'm thinking running a statewide cache hunt this weekend. "

Snat brings up a good point in his own unique way. There are a lot of great people in our Northern New Jersey / New York area who contribute significantly to our community and our sport / hobby. Brian unarguably being in the top 3. We can not replicate this gift to every person (perhaps we can have a truck deliver 230 clams to Brian's front porch :huh: ), but perhaps this qualifies as a exception, due to Geoman007 youth. But in lieu of gift certificates, 99 percent of the geocache community posts their logs on line, acts decently toward each other, willing to be helpful and kind, and gracious in their praise and compliments. That is what makes this geocaching community so pleasant. I have yet to personally meet a geocacher who was not a quality decent person.

BP wrote:

"I don't geocache in order to establish "relationships." " :o

I will let Chandler Bing respond to this comment:

"Can their be a bigger understatement ??" ;)

We all believe that this small token of appreciation would be just a nice thing to do, there were no ulterior or nefarious motives, how someone can possibly construe otherwise is positively boggling.

As I stated in my original post to the thread, the idea of the gift was a beautiful gesture. Announcing the gift publicly was nothing less than tacky.

I will let Chandler Bing respond to this comment:

"Can their be a bigger understatement ??"

Besides obviously being semi-literate, who in blazes is "Chandler Bing?" One of your role models?

Hey Ken, I think 99% of geocachers also log their DNFs online and don't pester people for clues for every single stinking cache. Let me know when you find your first solo cache on the first attempt without any outside help. :huh:

Ken: I'm in complete agreement with the decision and I think it does just exactly what you wanted it to - ends the "event" on a good note. Since the "event" became public, I think the end of it should be public as well.

As for the one poster, ignore him. I know it's hard. I can't really decide if he's an a**, a moron, a coward or mentally ill. Or maybe it's a combination of all of them. Actually, from the note I received privately today from him, I think a coward is definitely a big part of it. I'll show the note he posted to our TB to my 2 daughters and see what they think of his cowardly remarks.

Edit: Lost the end of the 1st paragraph someplace along the line. Added it back in now.

Edited by Team DEMP
I know it's hard. I can't really decide if he's an a**, a moron, a coward or mentally ill. Or maybe it's a combination of all of them.

Or maybe I just don't care much for a small but loud-mouthed minority of you.

Actually, from the note I received privately today from him, I think a coward is definitely a big part of it.

Thank you. You don't want me to "announce" that I dropped off the travel bug in a cache by posting the required online log, so I agreed to drop it safely into a cache without posting an online log. But I will DEFINITELY mention it in the logbook.

I have finally arrived, and earned my Northern NJ geocaching stripes. It has taken 529 finds and over two years, but I have finally been the recipient of one of BP's famed, scurrilous, coarse, anger laced, ad hominem, passive aggressive, duplicitous, defamatory and dishonest rants.

I join a long line of fellow Garden State cachers who have been similarly tyrannized and maligned. Is there a club or anything? Do I get a T-shirt?

Is there any geocacher out there that you have not lambasted? I for one, really enjoy your haranguing and bombasts that you spew. It really adds spice and color to these forums. Everyone wants to wear the white hat, but it is the actor that wears the black hat that brings the suspense, intrigue, fun and commotion to the scene. Dickens's Christmas Story would not be the same if old Scrooge was a considerate, helpful and obliging man.

I sincerely wish that you do not stop from making your comments today or in the future, they really are the preeminent parts of these forums. It is quite entertaining joining my fellow cachers and consistently watching you make a schlemiel out of yourself.

I will concede that you won and I lost. I will exclaim it to the world (or at least the people reading this forum). Please let it be known that BP won, and that the group of cachers that participated in the event and aftermath, who wanted to end it on a high note, with grace, dignity, a display of good sportsmanship and camaraderie have lost. Congratulations BP, for ending this event in a sack of bile.

This is my final comment on the subject because I know that due to your anomalous ways, you will not let me have the last word on this subject. You will of course reply with some malevolent comment, I am hitting my refresh button now.

Hey BP,

There's nothing more satisfying than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

Geoman007 deserves every bit of his prize. I had to drop out of the event before it began but have nothing but respect for the hard work he completed all over the state. The way things turned out and all the squabbling after the event in the forums must have taken a toll on him. Given this, I would bet that seeing the names of all the people who contributed to his prize was as heartwarming as the prize itself.

As I see it, the group gesture of giving Geoman007 a gift certificate was a sign that despite the problems with the rules, everyone who contributed was truly grateful for his efforts. I don't see an ounce of pride at all--most contributors probably didn't even know the gift would be made public. And yet you assume that by signing their names to the prize and posting it in the forums, everyone is automatically on an ego trip? Shame on you.

Get a life and stop giving musicians a bad name.

I've grown tired of writing warning messages, so I am closing this topic because it's charged clear through my prior request to limit the discussion to the NJ Statewide Cache Hunt Event. As the event is now over, I hope that the topic originator won't mind terribly much if we put this topic to bed.

Personal attacks, in ANY direction, do not belong in the Groundspeak forums. Please work out your differences elsewhere.