Where Do Members Fees Go? Take 2

The original poster asked this question at the end of the original post:

Anyone have anything useful to say?

Therefore comment made in this thread regarding your right to know are valid. However it seems that the original poster does not want to abide by their own comments laid down in the original post. So there is no reason to leave this thread open if you dont like the answers you are getting I am sorry but they are all on topic based on your original post.

First, I'll share my PM to CO Admin:

It is unbelieveable to me that you would lock my thread because I was trying to direct the thread to stay on the topic of whether people know (or have some ideas) where the money goes, rather than a discussion of whether users should get to know where the money goes.

If I was unhappy with the thread direction, and felt my questions weren't being answered, I would have locked the thread. Why do you feel that you get to determine whether I'm happy or not with the direction of the thread?

I suppose I should thank you for demonstrating some one of the exact reasons I have become disenchanted with this site.

Pan

Then I'll hope the discussion intended by the original poster (regardless of the personal opinion of the moderator) can continue.

Don't I, as the original poster, have some say in the direction of the discussion. I mean, people can post whatever they want, of course, can't I (even if I'm not a paying member) nudge the topic back to the intent of the original post? As the original posted I have a close topic button too. Can't I use that if "I don't like the answers that am getting."

Further, please take note that the question asked at the end of my original post clearly modified the other questions contained within the same post, namely:

When a Member of Geocaching.com pays their $3.00 per month, or $30.00 per year, where does that money go? How much is (or do you think is) operating expenses, how much is profit? Who profits, if anyone?

Obviously the final question of whether anyone had anything useful to say applied to the previous queries.

Thanks,

Pan

Since you chose to ignore this post in the other thread you started I'll re-post it for you here. That about sums it up. Do you really think a private company should tell you how it allocates it's income?

What does it cost to run any business?

* servers, routers and other computer/networking hardware - got to buy them and keep them running (they do break from time to time)

* data storage - true harddrives are cheaper all the time, but we (users) keep generating new cache listings, new logs, new forum posts, etc. and (thankfully GC.com is deleting old stuff that we know of) which means the storage requirements is growing.

* off-the-shelf software to make the server just run (Microsoft is giving away server and database licenses)

* custom written software - what we, the users, use (read: salaries or consultant/contractor fees for application software development/maintenance)

* phone service

* office space to house the servers and people that make them run

* electricity

* insurance

* taxes

* salaries and benefits (someone has to keep all the servers and software running and build the new features- I know I don't work for free and I don't expect it from others)

* internet connectivity - the more you use the more it costs

* office supplies

I'm sure that are more that I've missed.

I was a non-paying member for a long time. For that I am thankful. I do believe that there needs to be non-paying access, otherwise there'd be significantly less growth. But I do believe in supporting the site and additional services for those that do pay. I get a lot of value for the 8.2 cents per day I spend for my premium membership.

Edited by Harrald

I think it is kinda like a 'SEX' question, everyone capable of answering is waiting for the other person to answer. :lol:

EDIT

I don't work for free and I don't expect it from others

Nothing wrong with volunter work. :unsure:

Edited by butche

I didn't miss that post. I appreciated it. Sorry I didn't say so sooner.

But as thorough as your post was, it doesn't mean more people can't chime in. In fact, you even said in your post that you may have missed some expenses.

Again, I appreciate the answer, it was one of the most helpful ones provided.

Pan

That about sums it up. Do you really think a private company should tell you how it allocates it's income?

Since you chose to ingore this post in the previous thread, :lol: I'll post it again:

Again, this was not meant to be a discussion of whether or not anyone thinks anyone else should get to know the answer to where the member fees go. I understand everyone has their opinion on what the business can keep to themselves, etc.

It was meant as a discussion on where the fees actually go, or whether you have an idea, opinion, guess, etc. on where they go, and what percentage goes where.

You're trying to get me locked again, aren't you? :unsure:

:lol:

I shall make a note to see that the Forum Guidelines are updated to say that it is frowned upon to start a new topic after your topic is closed by a moderator.

Yes, an original poster is permitted within reason to keep their thread on topic. But your opinion of what was off-topic in your first thread was, I daresay, quite different from the standard of "off topic" that I am held to as a moderator. Let the moderators be the arbiters.

EDIT: To defer to mtn-man

Edited by Keystone Approver

I'm going to close this topic for two reasons.

1. You will not accept what people told you in the first topic, so you opened a new one after the first one was closed by a moderator for reasons they gave.

2. The general users of this site have NO way to answer this question.

If you want these answers please feel free to write the contact address (if you don't know what it is then send me a PM). I can tell you that the answers reposted above just about cover it. To me it seems that you want salaries name specifically to the dollar in this topic by TPTB. That is not going to happen.

If you open another topic it will be closed and you will be warned and your post will be subject to moderated post review. Any further questions should be directed to the contact address.