Lithium Batteries

Gonzo-YT

I was in a local store the other day and I saw these Energizer Lithium batteries. They claim to last "five times longer in some digital cameras," but on the other hand they cost three times as much as the other Energizers.

Has anyone tried them in a GPS? Do they do what they claim?

Regards,

Anthony

Yes. Last longer, cost more, are lighter by far, will work in extreme temps where others will get sluggish and die, keeps consistant power to the unit where others will drop off, when they die they die quick so you may see the power indicator up high till they all of the sudden die. Cost to use comparision? not sure.

Theres the Post bug season, the pre bug season, but there is also the Lithium battery season, but it's a pain to wear gloves and work the cache box too.

So if you didn't figure that out, the Lithiums are best suited for winter caching in Temps lower than 32 Degrees F.(ZERO Celsius)

The claimed 5x life is based on use in some digitial cameras and other devices that draw very large currents (> 1 A) which alkaline cells can't deliver efficiently. For those applications the lithium AA cells are cost effective compared to alkaline, but still not nearly as inexpensive as rechargeable NiMH. GPS receivers draw far less current (about 0.1 A) and at that load the lithiums will only last about 30% longer than alkalines or NiMH. Given the much higher cost they generally aren't worth it for this application.

But as mentioned above, they perform better in cold temperatures and are lighter weight. They also retain their charge better for long periods of time (10 years).

They make sense for special applications like cold weather expeditions where the weight and better performance below freezing are important. For shorter trips in cold temperatures I prefer to use NiMH and keep them warm inside clothing as much as possible.

You guys are making it sound like they perform poorly unless they're used in low temps.

the Lithiums are best suited for winter caching in Temps lower than 32 Degrees F.(ZERO Celsius)
But as mentioned above, they perform better in cold temperatures and are lighter weight.

Thorin

You guys are making it sound like they perform poorly unless they're used in low temps.

the Lithiums are best suited for winter caching in Temps lower than 32 Degrees F.(ZERO Celsius)
But as mentioned above, they perform better in cold temperatures and are lighter weight.

Thorin

It does sound that way (:

They work well in all temps from around -40 to +140 deg F

Temp Range

I thought my first paragraph made it clear that under normal conditions they provide about 30% more life in a GPS receiver than alkaline or NiMH cells. But on a cents/hour basis they are more expensive than alkaline and much more than NiMH.

I can imagine using them in very special cirumstances like super cold weather, but I just cannot justify buying a battery that cannot be recharged 1000 times. Not only good for the pocketbook, but good for the environment too if we buy things that are reusable many times.

What really surprises me is that most Americans do NOT use rechargable batteries for anything.

I hope I never get to the point where I am complaining about the weight of carrying 2 extra NiMH batteries in my backpack.

I use them in my GPSMAP 60CS when in places where I would need my GPSr to float if needed.

FWIW, I just float-tested my 60c with 2 Energizer 2300 mAh NiMH, with the GPSstore "sharkskin" case. It floated very nicely, thank you very much. It also floats while in my Pelican 1040 Micro Case, but that's the case's bouyancy at work.

So, no need to use lithiums if floating is the only concern. I use lithiums in an ultra-small ham radio transceiver I take on trips, but, as mentioned earlier, that's in a higher current drawing scenario. Other than real cold weather where the GPSr has to be out for extended periods, I doubt I'll use them in my 60c. NiMH are much more economical.

FWIW part II, I bought 12 Energizer Lithiums at Sam's Club this summer for around $18.

I am in long distance bicycling. For any 24h event or rides >= 250 Miles I use the lithium batteries.

I live in Florida where cold is not to much of concern. But my experience is still that they provide more than 30% compared to regular AA's. I usually did get between 40 and 45 hours of continues run time on my 60cs.

I don't have a lot of comparison with regular AA's, since for shorter rides I use rechargeables.