Cache Approval Times

=BB=

Hello,

Ordinarily we are set up very well to handle the cache review needs for Canada, especially with the addition of a third volunteer for Canada. Right now, however, it's end of summer vacation time. Canada is feeling the same lag that every other place experiences when one or more reviewers take a well-earned vacation, and other volunteers have to cover for them. We'll do the best we can -- if necessary other reviewers can offer to pitch in and help with any backlog.

thorin, only one of your posts has any validity in this thread. Sorry. Also, I was asking about where to apply to be a volunteer - did you over look that part too?

Keystone Approver, I figured that this was the case (vacations). I just figured that with the massive "back to work" trend that we have been seeing in the last week, almost everybody would be back at home w/ life "as usual".

Sorry if I offended anybody's sensibilities. :(

thorin, only one of your posts has any validity in this thread. Sorry. Also, I was asking about where to apply to be a volunteer - did you over look that part too?

Keystone Approver, I figured that this was the case (vacations). I just figured that with the massive "back to work" trend that we have been seeing in the last week, almost everybody would be back at home w/ life "as usual".

Sorry if I offended anybody's sensibilities. :o

You'll get used to Thorin at some point. He seems to have an opinion on everything. The mods seem to like him though. :(

I've suggested on numerous occasions that they change the blurb about caches being approved in 24-72 hours. I'm not a big enough butt kisser to be heard though. :(

I've placed two in the last few weeks, both were approved very quickly. Definitely less than 48 hours, IIRC.

What's the rush, anyways? Placing a cache is a long process of planning and preparing -- at least, it is for me. Approval is just part of the process.

Of course, I'm willing to bet that those two caches don't get found for at least 8 months, and probably more like 1-2 years. So, I'm definitely not in a rush. :(

thorin, only one of your posts has any validity in this thread. Sorry.
Don't be sorry, it makes no difference to me if you find them all applicable or not.
Also, I was asking about where to apply to be a volunteer - did you over look that part too?

Ya that's in there too but oh well.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

I can understand that people are looking for their cache 'soon' after they submit it.

The geocacher has hidden a cache that has probably taken then several days to put together. Between finding the spot, getting the container, filling it with several trade items, verifying the co-ordiantes at least a half a dozen times, typed out a description for those that follow, evaluating the difficulty and terrain.

And that's just for a Traditonal Cache. Goodness knows that a lot more effort goes into a multi-cache, offset cache or dare I suggest "A Series"

The nice thing is that the moment you submit your cache page, you are assigned at GCxxxx number. And that serves as Seniority of placement.

I know some people worry that they will lose their hiding place, but I bet that the approvers look at the GC #'s in order, so they can decide who was there first.

I don't try to fool myself about hiding caches at all. I do it for two reasons. My EGO, and to challenge myself and others in a way that I enjoy.

The honest truth, I think for most whether they admit it or not, is that a cache hider is basically looking for the cudos on a cache well placed.

There is a certain satistfaction in getting the email that someone found your cache and when you read the finder's log entry that they enjoyed it, it makes the hider feel good.

Now considering the fact that a cache is going to get approved eventually, those feelings of success are certainly worth the wait of having a qualified approver double check the quality of the description and ensuring that a newly placed cache does not infringe upon other geocaches.

I don't know if approvers keep a separate database of the actual locations of caches, since many are offset or multi's or puzzles. And maybe they have to check against that too.

I have had many email exchanges over several of my caches. I know that the approvers need to double check things, and sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't.

But never once have I had reason to doubt that the approvers aren't doing the best they can.

So really, what's the rush? Savour the whole process, why rush something and have it spoiled?

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

I live in the same general area as BB and this weeks notifications has 26 caches in it.

4 are his.

Last weeks e-mail had 10, while throughout most of the summer 4 - 6 was the norm.

Cache placements are heating up, as people try to get thier caches placed before school starts... it takes a while more.

Pretty soon it will be winter (gasp!) and it will dwindle....

Enjoy it while it lasts,

Scott :unsure:

Edited by McKenzie Clan

It might have helped to quantify what you consider an increase of lag time. The delay might have been a valid concern but it’s hard to determine without knowing exactly how long you have waited.

My job is to process similar requests that we have set for a two business day turn around time, even though we usually complete the request within two hours. That’s how we present our service. People have the expectation that it’ll most likely be completed quickly, but problems may come up and they should plan that their request may take the full 16 hours. When we can’t meet the deadline we accept that there is an issue that must be addressed and communicated to the submitter. That expectation gives people the ability to know when to escalate and I spend less time explaining unforeseen delays.

I have no doubt that most caches are approved within 48 hours but I think the posted approval response time might be a bit too aggressive these days. There is no buffer to allow for the known delays like approver availability or heavy workloads. Perhaps GC.com should extend the approve response time, maybe that caches will be approved within 48 hours but may take up to five (four?) days (or however they want to state it) and if not met, to notify the approver or GC.com. It’s only fair that people should know when they have a valid concern. It does say that approvals will be provided within 48 hours, so after two days an explanation is not an unreasonable request. If delays tend to occur then perhaps the approval timeline should be adjusted.

I would also suggest that if you are running behind to maybe post a note that the cache has been received. That acknowledgement will help with submitters knowing that their cache isn’t in limbo and will probably waive most of their concerns.

That’s just my take on the situation.

Listings are reviewed by volunteers. Normally it will be reviewed within 36-72 hours. In the meantime if you wish to edit your cache listing, you can use the above URL or use the waypoint name GCK9BG. You will need to login first in order to see your cache until it has been approved.

This is the note you get when you submit a cache and it does say up to 3 days.

It does say that approvals will be provided within 48 hours, so after two days an explanation is not an unreasonable request.

If it says 48 hours them the PTB need to up date there FAQ

:unsure:

I'd say the vast majority of new caches are still reviewed within 48 hours or so.

Sometimes I just need an extra night to think about a cache that might be pushing the envelope. Quite often, I'll get over my concern and list it the next day. If you'd prefer, I can opt for an "archive now, ask questions later" model.

Sometimes I'll go away for a three-day geocaching trip. The people who submitted their cache on Friday might feel slighted because their cache wasn't listed until 11 p.m. Sunday. Those who post their cache page at 10 p.m. Sunday will say I'm the fastest reviewer around. Guess which group posts in the forums the most?

The 48 hour service standard that Elf Danach describes for his *business* makes eminent sense. At my place of full-time employment, we have similar standards, like the "sundown rule" for returning all phone calls before leaving for the day.

But cache reviews are a *volunteer* role. If I was paid to review caches, I'd certainly strive to provide even better service!

I've been giving this whole reviewer thing some thought.

It comes down to math. More approvers results in faster approvals. With enough reviewers you can get down to instant approvals by using nothing more than the process that has been demonstrated on this site.

It works like this. Train all cachers to be approvers and to uphold the guidelines listed on this site. Make them all approvers. Then they all approve their own caches.

Of course it wouldn't take long before the system was abused and we would need super approvers to approve the approvers approvals. But hey, we can cross that bridge when the time comes.

But cache reviews are a *volunteer* role.  If I was paid to review caches, I'd certainly strive to provide even better service!

Ok, back upstairs. Woo! Still lots of lightning but hey it’s a work PC so I don’t care.

I don't know the timelines have been for the people who are complaining. If it's not realistic then they need to understand that.

If cache approvals are closer to 48 hours instead of 12 hours then push it out to 72 hours. You still process requests at the same rate but people aren’t on edge so quickly for the occasional delay. That’s my main point.

ba035ca5-5ff1-4ac6-b8fa-7c6897b44d31.jpg

Edited by Elf Danach
Has anybody else noticed an increased lag time for caches awaiting approval? Perhaps it is finally time to add a few more approvers?

Looks like your newest cache was submitted less then 24hrs ago.

The 2 caches I checked before that look like they took around 2 days.

How long is too long?

(Where do I volunteer?) <_<

You don't.

When the current reviewerfor an area asks for assistance, a new one is chosen by Groundspeak, with input from the other reviewers.

this is not an attack on any one but people may complain and post thread after thread on this and its not going to do anything.

it gets down when the volunteers have time. 1 hour to 1 week who cares, its gunna get down and then people well go out and find it.

no one complains about their cache not being found in the first hours its been posted on GC.com so don't complain about how long it takes to get approved.

happy hunting and hiding

I had 2 cache approved yesterday, one took less than a minute and the otherone a few hours later as it's a multi cache. So I'm not complaining as I see no benefit in doing so anyway. The only complaint I have is that I need to go place somemore caches now.

Has anybody else noticed an increased lag time for caches awaiting approval? Perhaps it is finally time to add a few more approvers? (Where do I volunteer?) :rolleyes:

One thing I have notice if you enter your cache for a pproval on a weekend it ussually takes the full 48 hours. If you do during the week it usually take far less. This summer I had a cache approved withing 2 hours.

One thing I have notice if you enter your cache for a pproval on a weekend it ussually takes the full 48 hours. If you do during the week it usually take far less. This summer I had a cache approved withing 2 hours.

Ah, see .. this kind of post is actually helpful!!

Thanks thisismeisthatu! This is a great tip for everyone!

Maybe it's just me but this seemed like a fairly obvious point since all the approvers are volunteers and have lives outside of gc.com .

Thorin

Maybe it's just me but this seemed like a fairly obvious point since all the approvers are volunteers and have lives outside of gc.com .

Thorin

Do you have the reputation as a troll in real life too?