Looking For Laptop

trinigen

I am looking for a bare bones laptop to run city select for my GPS V. I am a mac user and Virtual PC is not really an option for my older mac. I am looking for something that I could just run the Garmin software and a few other geocaching items on. I would also like to be able to connect it to my cable modem so I can download update easily. Any ideas please let me know.

Do you have a price range?

You can find a laptop that will easily do the basic things you describe, for $750.00 and up. This is NIB.

Last year I purchased a Compaq Presario (sp?) for around $800.00. Like you I had a desktop computer where I did/do all my "heavy duty Computing", but needed a bare bones laptop for a contract position I took in outside sales. That contract ended, and now about the only thing the laptop is used for is caching. LOL

I am looking for a bare bones laptop to run city select for my GPS V. I am a mac user and Virtual PC is not really an option for my older mac. I am looking for something that I could just run the Garmin software and a few other geocaching items on. I would also like to be able to connect it to my cable modem so I can download update easily. Any ideas please let me know.

I got an older laptop on eBay for $300.

It runs internet (wireless dsl) fine off my home network, and does everything I need it to do.

Ed

I got a nice Dell Latitude from "USEDLAPTOPS.COM" and it works well and did not cost a bunch. I like it because it has a real com port in addition to a USB so I can use interfaces that require a com. (yah, I know I can get a USB to Com converter, in fact I have one and have never been able to make it work.)

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

KyHilltopper --- Clint

I've been looking at new and used, and gotta say I don't think any of the used systems I've found on eBay or elsewhere online are real bargains. They might be okay for users who really need a machine right this minute and are strapped for cash - but they're really not good deals.

A quick review of this Sunday's paper shows complete NEW entry-level desktop systems at all the major office supply and computer stores for between $500-$700. Laptops from $800 to $1000. None less than a 2 gig processor, none less than 256 meg of RAM, none with less than 30 gig HD. That's the LOW END of the new PC market.

Sure, thats hundreds more than a used system - but when you consider warranties, up to date software versions, and much longer usable lifetimes, I'd say it's money wisely spent.

Of course, I'm a hard customer to please. I could get by with processor in the 500-600 MHz range, 512 meg of RAM, 20 gig HD, and Win98/SE to run the few PC programs I want. That would be a big boost over running Virtual PC on my Mac.

But I can't see paying even $400 for that kind of system when just a few hundred extra buys so much more. Anybody have a sub-$400 system that meets / exceeds those specs?