Ifinder H2o

user13371

After reading rave reviews for the Lowrance iFindder, and researching the models on their website, I decided to get an iFinder H2O Plus.

As described on their website: this model is waterproof to IPX7 specs, has a high-resolution 16-shade grey-scale screen, can use active or passive external antenna, and comes with the latest MapCreate 6.2 software.

Got it yesterday and so far I'm a bit dissappointed:

1) On first glance, I didn't see how it could be truly waterproof. The external connectors are covered by loose fitting rubber plugs. I double checked the website and it does say IPX7 - but when I read the manual it's says it's onlly water resistant to IPX2. That's the difference between dropping it in the drink as opposed to just being caught out in the rain, isn't it?

2) It's nearly impossible to get the batteries in and out of the unit because the contacts are too tight. I don't know if this is a design issue or if mine is defective.

3) The MapCreate software seems to be copy-protected and my Mac running Virtual PC won't install it properly. My VPC setup exceeds the processor speed and memory requirements for this software, but the copy prtection scheme is looking for "something special" on the CD itself and cannot "authenticate original disk."

Has anyone had similar issue with the iFinder and/or MapCreate?

Even with these issues, I'm optimistic and eager to have the features offered by this GPS. I hope to have a friendly phone chat with Lowrance support today and get it all ironed out, and will post follow-up results here.

Edited by lee_rimar

Followup after speaking with Lowrance technical support:

1) Waterproof: IPX7 is correct, the manual is in error. Drop it in the water, the innards will stay dry. The unit may or may not float, depending on the batteries. Apparently it's very close to neutral bouyancy, so the minor difference between lithium or regaulr alkaline batteries will decide!

2) The battery contacts ARE extremely tight, "that's just the way it is." They will loosen a bit with use. "Don't worry about the sleeves, sir; they'll ride up with wear."

3) I don't know if the tech was being evasive or simply didn't know the answer to my copy protection questions. I certainly APPEARS the software has to be installed from the factory original disk. You can install all files to the hard drive (if you have enough space) and it won't need the CD at runtime.

If you're tight on space, installing in "compact" mode would require putting in the CDs at runtime. He couldn't say if running that way would require the original factory CD at runtime or if copies would work.

3a) I've managed to "tweak" my VPC configuration to get around the installer compatibility issue, and after several tries FINALLY succeeded in getting a full install (and put those CDs safely away!). After getting through the installlation issues, it does seem to run okay.

Anyone have similar experiences or tips to share?

Okay, now that I have a day and a half of playing with my iFinder H2O Plus, I like it better.

There are several IFinder models, and the H2O model is in upper range; waterproof, hi-rez screen, faster processor, etc. I've use mostly Magellan Meridian and SporTrak models. In comparing features, the H2O probably closest to the Magellan Meridian Gold.

Lowrance's "Plus" package adds the MapCreate 6.2 software, with a 32 meg MMC card and a flash reader.

An aside for price watchers: I paid $271 for my iFinder H2O Plus. What's the going rate for a Meridian Gold, with a copy of MapSend Streets & Destinations and the nominal expense of a 32 meg SD or MMC card with reader?

More comparative details:

1) Compared to the Meridian, the H2O's screen is about the same size but has twice the resolution. It also has an amazing WHITE (and silent) backlight with 10 adjustable brightness levels - at the highest you could probably use it as a reading light. The Magellan backlight on it's highest (buzzing) setting is not nearly as bright; it's comparable to the second lowest setting on the H2O. The H2O also has a "night mode" which inverts the display - streets, POIs, and other text are white on a dark background. Correction: The "night mode" only inverts text in menus and data fields. Map black on white is not inverted

2) You can zoom in a LOT closer on the H2O than you can on any Magellan. The Magellan "100 foot" scale spans about 1/3 to 1/4 the width of the screen (so the screen width is 300-400 feet). The H2O "0.02 mile" scale spans the entire width of the screen.

3) The H2O can optionally display "range rings" - circles drawn on screen around your position. This makes it much easier to quickly estimate distances.

4) MUCH faster screen updates while driving than any Magellan GPS I've ever used. I turn, the GPS screen turns, no apparent lag.

5) The MapCreate was a bltch to install (see previous notes), but it does work reasonably well. It includes a database of the entire U.S. on two CDs, which can be installed entirely to the hard drive.

6) MapCreate offers a lot of flexibility in selecting maps to download. You can select regions of any shape, and include (or exclude all sorts of data by categories. If you don't have the time or inclination to trace out routes and select POI categories, an "easy mode" lets you just click on predefined areas for download. This easy mode carves the country into 162 regions, and each one will compile to just under 8 meg - for conveniently figuring out how many you can get on your MMC or SD card.

The actual map compiling time, getting it ready to load to the card, seems a LOT faster than Magellan's MapSend. But as I'm not running a standard PC, so my timings may not be valid for others.

7) Once you have loaded the maps to the GPS, they do seems a lot more accurate than Magellan's MapSend, for all categoriers of roads, water, and POIs that I could check. I have taken an admittedly small sampling; only where I walked and drove yesterday. But it was dead-on where the Magellan product was either missing details or drew them in the wrong places.

I'll post more as I have more time to learn about my new toy.

Edited by lee_rimar

Just because the contacts are not covered well does not mean that they are not sealed water tight on the inside with epoxy. Most devices are even non-water proof electronics. The dust caps on the Garmin 60 are just there to protect the contacts not to water proof them I suspect it's the same on your iFinder.

OKAY, THIS THING IS A KEEPER!

After a couple of days, and some driving out and about, I'm absolutely hooked on this Lowrance iFinder H2O. Bear in mind I'm coming from long and dedicated use of Magellan units...

The screen is the best I've seen on any handheld GPS - maybe the best on ANY handheld computing device. Most legible under any lighting conditions, fastest and smoothest updates. Amazing white backlight (silent, not buzzy like Magellan) with 10 adjustable brightness levels.

The map software (even though it was a pain to install under VPC on the Mac) seems to be several times faster than MapSend Streets & Destinations AND MapSend Topo in compiling maps. It is also more flexible, letting you select maps of any size or shaped region, including or excluding POIs by various categories.

Like a Magellan Meridian, it uses an MMC or an SD card, so transfering big map files is no problem (like, 30x faster than serial). But there's no nonsense of using menu commands on the GPS to activate specific maps or regions - whatever you load to the card is instantly available.

The maps themselves put MapSend S&D or Topo to shame - 'nuff said. DirectRoute is supposed to be better, I know - but I'm also told it brings new usability aggravations.

The only concernes I've had with the iFinder H2O are pretty much cleared up: I'm satisfied it will be water-proof enough for my needs; the too-tight battery case is getting easier; I did manage to get the map software installed and it works a treat.

I know Robert Lipe (whose opinion I greatly respect) has found some good deals on Meridian Gold and says it's the model to beat; but if you're shopping in this price range I'd say you owe it to yourself to try an iFinder.

BTW, I don't work for Lowrance :blink:

Why did you decide on it vs. the two giants?

Because the features I wanted (higher-resolution screen, expandable memory, better map software) were not available from M or G at a competitive price.

How much did you pay...?

$271 (including shipping) from Planet GPS.

In addition to the GPS, the package includes an auto 12v power cord, MapCreate 6.2 mapping software, 32 meg MMC card, and an MMC/SD card reader. I'm probably gonna give the reader away, I already have one.

Price-wise, I think this compares very favorably to a Merdian Gold plus any version of MapSend. And I did get what I was after - the display and the map software are much better.

The cost will be somewhat offset when I sell my Magellan SporTrak Pro and accesories on eBay (Trippy, do you know anyone local who might want it? Knowing how much you LOVE Magellan units :lol:). But with any new toy comes related acessories. My generic windshield mount fits the iFinder, but I'll still need a RAM cradle & handelbar mount for my bike. And I'd like to have enough SD cards to preload all the maps I'll ever need. It's always something!

Edited by lee_rimar

if you post the pro on the MiGO site, I believe you will sell it very quickly. And avoid the ebay hassle/fees. That's how I sold my legend.

And it's not that I have no love for the Magellan units. It's just I think Garmin is better :lol: If a Magellan came along that I liked more than a Garmin - I'd say so.

Another cool feature that Lowrance offers is the ability to change the sensitivity of the compass rose. It's called "track smoothing". If you turn that option off (default is on), the map rotates and heading is adjusted much more frequently. The only downfall is that the compass rose rotates around while standing still. But as soon as you start moving, even like a half a foot, it picks up immediatly.

I always leave the feature off because I like the higher sensitivity for geocaching.

... "track smoothing" ... I always leave the feature off because I like the higher sensitivity for geocaching.

How does turning it off make the GPS any more accurate or sensitive?

when its on, the GPS takes averages of your movement (i.e. direction). With track smoothing on, you notice that your heading takes longer to correct itself. With it off, it jumps right to your correct heading in less than a foot of movement.

just try it, youll see.

One more thing I've found about the iFinder that I like better than the Magellan, and this probably applies to other Lowrance models...

It's a LOT easier to write your own programs for dealing with the GPS data.

I mean, it's obvious that not having to deal with serial or USB communications is a big plus here. It's all just files. Your data lives on MMC or SD card, they're just files.

But the data formats themselves are very easy to work with - easier than Magellan (which I do understand) and probably MUCH easier than Garmin (which I find completely baffling).

Robert Lipe tells me a few people had expressed interest in extending Lowrance support in GPSBabel, but nobody ever followed up. I don't really know why that would be ...

DO NOT THROW THE READER AWAY!!! The new MapCreate 6.3 requires that reader. No other reader will work!

Wow.

Thanks for the warning. It isn't likely to make me keep the card reader - but I sure as he11 won't be buying the 6.3 "upgrade!" As much as I love the GPS, this is stupid enough to make me re-evaluate Lowrance as a company. I'm not kidding.

Here I was thinking they were pretty cool for shipping a mapping package (6.2) unlocked, with only a reasonable copy-protection on the CDs - and then they blow it with this 6.3 release. The restrictions are ridiculous!

Gotta have the CD in the drive at runtime, gotta use their card reader, all maps are keyed to a specific GPS -and- card reader, AND they limit you to how many memory cards (5) you can use with the program?

All those locks on a program that is nominally $100-$150 an useful only to people who have already bought a Lowrance GPS. Adobe Creative Suite costs many times more, has a much wider audience (and piracy/lost profit potential), and it's not locked down nearly as hard. What are these people thinking?

Of course, I do not favor piracy and agree companis SHOULD take any measures necessary to protect their profits. But when they go to such foolish extremes, it just chases customers away.

Lee,

I must admit I initially felt the same way you do now. The very nature of a GPSer is freedom to explore and therefore loathe any attempt to be tied/dongled down.

But it's a matter of piracy, plain and simple. Several times I have contacted eBay and Lowrance about sales of MapCreate that were obviously "pirated" copies. One seller sold several sets where he even stated that they were "backup copies"! Therefore requiring the LEI reader will definitely cut down on that scam.

Let's face some facts... Lowrance's iFinder, even though it's a superior product, has a tiny share of the market. Therefore I can't believe they are making any profit at all on MapCreate at it's current pricing. I'm sure it's offered only to remain somewhat competitive in the market. So when you add in piracy, those losses make it a totally unviable product. So paying an extra $20 for the reader is ok by me. The other restrictions are more bothersome I'll admit...

Another product they sell, FreedomMaps memory cards, is just as ripe for piracy. Hence they put in a restriction about allowing only five memory chips to ever be programmed. OY! Therefore you better buy the largest and best quality MMC chips you can afford. So the 32mb chip that you're given you can either throw away or be as handicapped as a Garmin. NOTE: I've seen several complaints about SD chips, especially large cheap ones, not working.

The third restriction, requiring the cd to be loaded, is I'll agree totally absurd! Even Delorme hasn't required this for years.

That being said, I don't blame you or others for being upset. If however someone wants Topo, this is the inconvenience one must put up with. I also have to admit I can count on one hand how many times a year I run this program. For trip and route planning there are several other products that are better and cheaper.

I agree they need some way to avoid piracy, there are just better ways to do it.

For me personally, the new restrictions are show-stoppers.

MapCreate 6.2 is already copy protected and requires the original disks to install. I don't know how many "backup copies" you found on eBay, but I know I can't make a legitimate and usable backup of this software I bought and paid for.

Also, the copy protection they use is flaky; it almost prevented me from being able to install MapCreate to being with. Good thing I only had to use that CD once and could put it away for safekeeping, right?

But the new version will require the disk at runtime - so the problems I had reading the disk ONCE will plague me every time I want to use the product.

Also, to upgrade I'll have to integrate a new piece of hardware (their custom card reader) and drivers. Even IF I can make that work, it will make me very dependent on Lowrance for support if/when a Windows update or other system change breaks their software. Look at what just happened with Magellan and Windows XP Service Pack 2.

So, I feel I'm locked out of product upgrades. I don't even need or want the topo product - but if they bring out an updated streets and POI database I expect I'll also be out of luck.

I'm one person and maybe they don't care about losing one customer. But I'll bet I'm not the only one. I think they've made a really bad choice with the latest form of "protection."