Legend C

Kenith

See this review:

http://gpsinformation.us/vistacolor/etrexvistacolor.html

It is for the Vista C but they are very similar.

I purchased the Legend C just a couple of weeks ago. This is my first GPSr. I'm pleased. Wish it had a slot for a memory card and a way to view a larger screen while driving. But for the money it was the best deal I could find. (I purchased it through eBay. Less than $280 including shipping)

I also purchased Garmin's CitySelect software so I could do autorouting with my Legend C. Used it on a recent trip to Tuscaloosa, AL and it worked great. Now I've got most of NW Louisiana, Western Arkansas, and a small portion of East Texas loaded. That just about filled up the 24 megs of memory.

Part of me wishes I'd paid a few dollars more for the Vista C but instead I purchased a compass for a few bucks. Carry both in a fanny pack while hiking.

What I like about the Legend C is the small size for hiking & geocaching but the added feature of auto navigation. This has been more useful than I had expected.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Phun

Not sure what Mapquest software you're referring too, but as for the Legend C, I would find it hard to justify going from a "Regular" Legend to a colour. The only serious difference is the colour display. If you're going to get into that price bracket, why not go a bit higher and get a 60C/CS?

Edit: Not from buying one, but from reading Garmin/other site info

Edited by tirediron

I had a Legend and upgraded to the Legend Color and I love it! I could have purchased the 60C/CS, but I prefer the smaller and lighter Legend. As I always travel with my trusty Suunto Global compass and topo maps, I didn't feel like paying extra for the built in one on the VistaC or 60 C/CS.

Also, I have no need for the barometer and altimeter features. Although it only has 24 megs of memory, it is more than adequate for my needs.

What it comes down to is how much do you want to spend and what features do you 'really' need. As far as I can tell, the firmware in the legend color is pretty much identical to the 60C/CS. All your really missing out on is the compass/altimeter and 32 megs of ram and a slightly larger display. The display on the legend is actually a higher resolution than the 60c/cs and looks better, so the display is really a non-issue.

Cheers :o

PS... the above poster is incorrect in his statement regarding the differences between the original legend and the new color one. Yes it has a color screen, but is has 24 meg of memory compared to 8, autorouting and some other nice features the orginal doesn't have. I believe the legend color to be a perfectly good purchase.

Edited by moonpup

Eric,

There is already a firmware upgrade for the Legend C (2.00 to 2.10). Here is what it includes (taken from the Garmin Website):

Added the battery indicator to the title bar on the Main Menu page.

Corrected problems with the Prompted Route Recalculation page.

Corrected communication problems with third-party software.

Corrected display of some long European street names.

Corrected problems with restoring defaults on the Route Definition page.

Updated translations.

Phun

Edited by Phunnla