Junk In Caches

I wrote to the most recent thread on this topic.

Practical approach is to use Ebay wholesale lots or some other vendor that has moderate sized lots of items (20-30 items/lot). Figure out what amount you feel comfortable spending (on a net per item basis). Look for things that are cool to you in that price range. Use them for cache items as its easy to get a box of flashlights or some other item, and keep it with your geostuff. When you go for a hunt, just snatch a handful of the items as you go, and you will be set for the day. If you find some cache with junk in it, do a TN, Left cool thing kind of log. You will be out the same amount of money you had planned on spending already, and will make someone else's day.

I use a net per item limit of $2. If I can find an item that is cool for less, great, but I won't go higher. I have found little precision screwdriver kits that have been well received, and little mini FM radios that are also well received. Others have found LED flashlights and other items in that range. It works.

I guess if the cache had $50k in it, my log would look like this:

Took 2 dollars, left new LED flashlight keychain.

I just bought a wholesale lot of very nice LED flashlight keychains. With shipping they were less than $2 each and the same type that I paid about $8 for in a sporting goods store a year ago.

I am also in the process of buying a wholesale lot of small fish fossils. They will be more expensive than the flashlights and I will save them for really good trades.

Of course, I have yet to find anything that made me squeal with delight, and nothing even as nice as the LED flashlights I am going to be leaving in caches.

I just asked the same thing yesterday. Read about under "trash in cache". For the most part it comes down to..."Some people just suck"....."Ones man's junk is another man's treasure". And there is probably one guy who feels that the valve stem caps from 1983 dodge omni would be the greatest find ever possible.

From know on I will always leave the cahe with better, nicer or more unusal stuff than I find in it. I can complain about it and do nothing or I can complain and help try to improve it. "DON'T CHAHE IT.....TRASH IT!!!!!"