Why? Why? Why?

5¢

Why do we continue to congratulate members on their certain number find when competitiveness is concidered taboo? We say it is not about the numbers but yet when someone gets 1, 10, 50, 500, 600, 700,1000, 6000 we all say way to go. I guess I am lost. I like having something that tracks how many finds I have but yet do not understand for a place that doesn't like competitiveness why we track the numbers. It doesn't make sense.

Why do we continue to congratulate members on their certain number find when competitiveness is concidered taboo? We say it is not about the numbers but yet when someone gets 1, 10, 50, 500, 600, 700,1000, 6000 we all say way to go. I guess I am lost. I like having something that tracks how many finds I have but yet do not understand for a place that doesn't like competitiveness why we track the numbers. It doesn't make sense.

Cool, You've got over 200 posts. Congratulations!

(Now, did that hurt?)

Alas.. the hypocrisy inherent in humanity condition gains another voice. :lol:

IMESHO;

look at it this way... A large part of any outdoor activity is getting , well, outdoors. the numbers are secondary.

Kinda like sport fishing.... most of the time it is just "catch and release" for the enjoyment of the challenge... but every now and again, it is nice to be reconized for a big catch.

That is why geocachers say it isnt about the numbers , yet congratulate milestones

IMESHO and the way I see it. maybe someone else could be more 'eloquent'

I've said it before: the only person I'm competing against is the fat, lazy version of myself who would rather spend Saturday afternoon on the couch instead of in the woods. All I care about is beating that guy.

There's a big difference between competition and congratulations. Recently I had a few people congratulate me in a regional thread after I hit a milestone. It was a great reminder to me that we're all on the same team.

Bret

I will give out a contatulations

This is a perfect Freudian typo. In the U.K. forum, where most of these congrat posts occur, "tat" is slang for junk found in a cache. This is their way, and I wouldn't worry about it. You can be sure that we post things that have them scratching their heads. :lol:

Some day soon, I'll reach 100. I ought to, 'cause I just passed one year. No big deal, no race, I'll get there. I'm not competing. But it will be nice to get there.

Now, some cachers join up in teams and compete. That's OK, too. People naturally like to compete. Just 'cause I'm a slow 'n' steady cacher doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the natural juices that cause competition.

So, I'm not sure as to your confusion....unless, perhaps, you're one of those pc liberals who don't want our children to keep score, and don't want to award excellence. Hey, I just might have to stifle a nasty comment, if you're one of those.

So, I'm not sure as to your confusion....unless, perhaps, you're one of those pc liberals who don't want our children to keep score, and don't want to award excellence.

Oh, please; what an utter crock of ...

I have no problem with people offering their congratulations for milestones, but the find count is absolutely no measure of excellence. Perhaps it indicates some measure of determination.

I have no problem with people offering their congratulations for milestones, but the find count is absolutely no measure of excellence. Perhaps it indicates some measure of determination.

You know what? That says what I wanted to say better than I said it. Thanks BassoonPilot.

Incidentally, this thread was created out of one cachers frustration at the failing of their idea of short term teams who needed to post double-finds to caches... So the OP was not coming from teh angle Robiespierre(sp?) might have thought. Bu talong those lines, teachers are now marking school papers in purple because it's less 'threatening' than red, and also another district no longer allows any form of contact during recess for kids, literally. As in, no pushing a friend on a swing, etc. So while you might not think much of the PC remark, it's not too far off the target lately. *sigh*

teachers are now marking school papers in purple because it's less 'threatening' than red, and also another district no longer allows any form of contact during recess for kids, literally. As in, no pushing a friend on a swing, etc. So while you might not think much of the PC remark, it's not too far off the target lately. *sigh*

This is my point. In some circles, people object to competition under the theory that it damages children. You can not stop comparisons. Someone always has more abilities in some area or other. Someone always puts out more effort.

However, it appears that this thread was not considering that, so it is OT. And I promise to never "award" excellence. 'nuff said.

... competitiveness is concidered taboo? We say it is not about the numbers....

It's only taboo to some. Not me.

It's not about the numbers to some. Why does the opinion of a few people need to be taken as the opinion of everyone? I love my numbers and enjoy seeing my find count get higher. I love to compete with my brother and other geo-friends.

If the find counts were taken away, I'd probably stop caching.

Is that shocking?

while competition may be part of our reptilian brain...like killing, don't know if we really need to encourage it...call me a pc liberal who would just rather see the more evolved aspects of our species accerated the more primitive ones left with our tails :o

I've congratulated many people as they've hit milestones, even when they reach and surpass my find count. Having challenged myself (and ONLY myself) with lofty personal goals, I know how much time, effort, and determination it takes to reach them. I for one believe that although numbers really don't matter, camaraderie and recognition does.

We say it is not about the numbers

Only some of us say that. Others of us like the numbers. To a large degree each of us gets to enjoy the game in our own way.

Yea, but "your own way" is still limited by the desires and visions of the people that run this website. You are pretty much free to play however you want, as long as you do it in your own sandbox. If you decide to play in gc.com's sandbox, then you have to play by their rules. If you want to play contrary to the rules of their sandbox, you need to find a different one, or build your own.

The owner of this sandbox has repeatedly stated he does not want this to be competitive. He also said there would never be an off-topic forum, so nothing is ever etched in stone. As the game and the site evolves, maybe that too will change someday. It's just not that way today.

The owner of this sandbox has repeatedly stated he does not want this to be competitive. He also said there would never be an off-topic forum, so nothing is ever etched in stone.

Was he also the one who screamed something about "No more wire hangers?" :o

No, no. My mistake B)

Edited by BassoonPilot
We say it is not about the numbers but yet...

I like having something that tracks how many finds I have but yet do not understand for a place that doesn't like competitiveness why we track the numbers. It doesn't make sense.

It might not make sense if your assumption is that this "place doesn't like competitiveness".

I don't see any consensus that people who play this game don't like competitiveness. It is voiced often by a few on these pages but out in the big world people like to compare their numbers with others and with their personal goals.

I consider cache find numbers as a measure of how much fun and adventure people are having. I can track their rate of fun by checking their profiles now and then. And when I know that a group of individuals are racing to out-find each other it is fun to sit back and watch their progress.

Unless you'd rather only congratulate on prime numbers. :o

OOOh... In that case, NE, belated congratulations on caches # 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31 and 37. And congratulations on your next cache in advance, since that's a prime number as well.

And feel free to congratulate me on any prime numbered cache to date, too... That would be 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113, 127, 131, 137, 139, 149, 151, 157, 163 and 167.

For anyone else who would like to follow this line of congratulatory remark, you might want to save this link, which is the first 1000 prime numbers, ending at 7919. And please let us know when a cacher reaches that milestone.

Oh, and the largest prime number ever found by hand was discovered in 1951 by a guy named Ferrier. The number is: 20988936657440586486151264256610222593863921 - Now then, let me say this right now... None of us will ever get to that level of congratulations.

Now that it's almost 4 am, let me add this (which is actually quite on topic) - I congratulate people on finds because it shows how much effort they have put forth on this sport. I don't care if you have 2, 193, 773 or 1091 (all prime numbers, btw)... You went out and you found those caches, and you deserve kudos.

"That old man quit trying/He just turned away/There were tear drops on his face/Tell me, how would you feel?/You’d probably give up too/If nobody believed in you."

Edited to ask: KRN, why are you even asking, I just checked your profile and saw you've listed your 1st, 50th, and 75th finds.... If you're so interested in why people congratulate on those milestones, why do you even bother to list them on your profile? And 11 caches from now will you be posting your 100th find, too?

Why not just congratulate you now? You're on #89 - that's a prime number.

(now, remember, we're doing prime numbers, so you should have listed #2, either #47 or 53, and #73 on your profile instead. And congratulations on 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83 and 89)

:( If you'll excuse me now, I think something's telling me it's time to go to bed.

Edited by fly46
I've said it before: the only person I'm competing against is the fat, lazy version of myself who would rather spend Saturday afternoon on the couch instead of in the woods. All I care about is beating that guy.

There's a big difference between competition and congratulations. Recently I had a few people congratulate me in a regional thread after I hit a milestone. It was a great reminder to me that we're all on the same team.

Bret

Nicely stated CYBret...I think that is what is being congratulated...not the numbers...not a hey look at me...I have more finds than you...what is being said is Nice work, you have done something X number of times...something that you really enjoy doing...yeah, a lot of work was put into it...but more importantly congratulations on taking time to get out...and do SOMETHING...

Who says its not about the numbers?

Who says we shouldn't be competitive?

Who says its not about being first?

Who says you can’t share in someone else’s passing a milestone?

This game is different for everyone...play and enjoy it YOUR way!

I like being FIRST! But I could not tell you how many first finds I have…maybe its a prime number?

Edited by The Commissar
This game is different for everyone...play and enjoy it YOUR way!

I disagree. The game is the same for everyone. But people approach the game differently and people have differing expectations from the game. There is nothing wrong with that. Some people "push the envelope." There is also nothing necessarily wrong with that. But some people "push the envelope" with the intent of discovering just how far/hard they can push before things collapse back upon them. And when it does, they whine and complain about how unfairly they are being treated.

Edited by BassoonPilot

Determination and time...

So often I look at those numbers and see someone 'better' than me... which, in and of itself doesn't make me feel 'bad', but somewhat envious, because, jeez, they've found 700, 800, 900, 1000 or more...

Recently I spent a considerable amount of time caching with a friend who's find count is a wee bit higher than mine... as time passed I realized much of the difference between the two of us was a time consumption issue. Not a better than/worse than issue.

Nothing earth shattering, but I'm more comfortable with my own numbers now.

As far as the congrats go... I'd be more inclined to give kudos to someone who found a particularly difficult cache after a particularly difficult hike. Our local forums have the 'congrats' posts under their own topic, which is nice because we can choose not to read them. Unfortunately I feel like a real **** when I neglect to tell someone thank-you for congratulating me.

-=-

michelle

Determination and time... As far as the congrats go... I'd be more inclined to give kudos to someone who found a particularly difficult cache after a particularly difficult hike.

I agree with your point about offering congratulations for tough hikes and/or finds. In my earlier post, I deliberately omitted "time" because quite a large number of people have shown how easy it is to accumulate a very large number of finds in very few hours on "cache raids," or whatever the term may be. That's not a knock on those who participate in such things.

Yet, I recognize when someone has put in signifigant effort.

Centuries just happen to be good goalposts. Unless you'd rather only congratulate on prime numbers. :(

Too many celebrations going on if using prime numbers.

Maybe I suggest only congratulating on primes in the form of 2**N - 1?

You get to learn a little math and celebrate strange achievements all at the same time.

Prime numbers have long fascinated amateur and professional mathematicians. An integer greater than one is called a prime number if its only divisors are one and itself. The first prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc. For example, the number 10 is not prime because it is divisible by 2 and 5. A Mersenne prime is a prime of the form 2**P-1. The first Mersenne primes are 3, 7, 31, 127, etc. There are only 41 known Mersenne primes.

The numbers serve to quantify a person’s experience. The more experience a person has (at anything really), the more respect their opinions, ideas, or suggestions will receive. Some cachers achieve this through the hard work of actually finding caches of all levels of difficulty. Others photoshop virts, log “events”, or even outright lie.

Experience should be a ratio of finds vs time in the game. That would require too much research for most of us to determine.

EDIT: from another thread,

Something interesting that I’ve been thinking about recently. Why do we save “special” caches for a milestone, like #100 or #500. How come you don’t just always hunt the special ones, and disregard the rest?

Edited by Criminal
As of this writing, I have found nine times nine caches, which for some reason tickles me. The nine times table has always tickled me.

That's because nine is the square of 3...and as we all know:

Three is a magic number,

Yes it is, it's a magic number.

Somewhere in the ancient, mystic trinity

You get three as a magic number.

The past and the present and the future.

Faith and Hope and Charity,

The heart and the brain and the body

Give you three as a magic number.

It takes three legs to make a tri-pod

Or to make a table stand.

It takes three wheels to make a ve-hicle

Called a tricycle.

Every triangle has three corners,

Every triangle has three sides,

No more, no less.

You don't have to guess.

When it's three you can see

It's a magic number.

A man and a woman had a little baby,

Yes, they did.

They had three in the family,

And that's a magic number.

3-6-9, 12-15-18, 21-24-27, 30.

3-6-9, 12-15-18, 21-24-27, 30.

Multiply backwards from three times ten:

Three time ten is (30), three times nine is (27),

Three times eight is (24), three times seven is (21),

Three times six is (18), three times five is (15),

Three times four is twelve,

And three times three is nine, and three times two is six,

And three times one is three of course.

Now take the pattern once more:

Three! . . .3-6-9

Twelve! . . .12-15-18

Twenty-one!. . .21-24-27. . .30

Now multiply from 10 backwards:

Three time ten is (30 - Keep going), three times nine is (27),

Three times eight is (24), three times seven is (21),

Three times six is (18), three times five is (15),

Three times four is twelve,

And three times three is nine, and three times two is six,

And three times one...

What is it?!

Three!

Yeah, That's a magic number.

A man and a woman had a little baby.

Yes, they did.

They had three in the family.

That's a magic number.

Unless you'd rather only congratulate on prime numbers. :o

I think only Prime Suspect get the congrats on those. ;)

The numbers are important simply as a measure of finds and hides.

Don't you get a little chuckle when the odometer rolls over to the next thousand?

Don't you get to blow out another candle at your birthday?

There is a difference in keeping count, and keeping score.

Cybret's comment on the competition says that best for me too. :D My two year involvement with geocaching has gotten me off the couch, and out in the woods better than golf ever did. (well ok I did get into the wood some then too :( )

I have made some great new friends along the way. I have stayed out later than I have in years, without anything more than sugar and adreneline, just looking for that next cache. :P

Having more or less than another player doesn't indicate any degree of superiority, or inferiority.

It does, as BP pointed out indicate a certain level of determination and focus. It may also indicate a lack of involvement in other recreational persuits. :(

As of this writing, I have found nine times nine caches, which for some reason tickles me. The nine times table has always tickled me.

Okay, okay...it's not like prime numbers or anything. Let's just say my mathematical reasoning is...a tad primitive.

Or, to stay.. ahem.. on topic... We could congratulate you on 79 plus 2 finds, since both of those are prime. lol.

At four in the morning, I singlehandedly lead this post to rot. :(

That is your topic, not Prime numbers

Why do we continue to congratulate members on their certain number find when competitiveness is concidered taboo?  We say it is not about the numbers but yet when someone gets 1, 10, 50, 500, 600, 700,1000, 6000 we all say way to go.  I guess I am lost.  I like having something that tracks how many finds I have but yet do not understand for a place that doesn't like competitiveness why we track the numbers.  It doesn't make sense.

in another thread, you said:

Honestly, if these bother you, leave your GPS in the next cache you come to and quit the sport.

Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

you cant have it both ways

Edited by Lapaglia
... competitiveness is concidered taboo?  We say it is not about the numbers....

It's only taboo to some. Not me.

It's not about the numbers to some. Why does the opinion of a few people need to be taken as the opinion of everyone? I love my numbers and enjoy seeing my find count get higher. I love to compete with my brother and other geo-friends.

If the find counts were taken away, I'd probably stop caching.

Is that shocking?

It's not taboo to me either, but I could name a few cacher's we both know Mushtang that would tell us otherwise :unsure:

I enjoy the numbers. I'd hate to see them taken away. Friendly competition is tons of fun!

'Sides, if numbers have *nothing* to do with it, then why would people go to geowoodstock to find 300+ micros in 3 days? People would be bored senseless after about the first 50 or so if there were no numbers involved, LOL!

now, this is a topic near and dear to me and my friends. for my last two significant milestones we had a party for one, and for the other we all took our shirts off and whirled them around brandy-chastain style. there are pictures you can find if you're very, very clever.

i have decided that my next big milestone is 729. why not?

and yet you will not see me starting any congratulatory threads here nor will you see any congratulatory threads started here for any of us. although we celebrate these things amongst ourselves, we think it is tacky to do so in the forums.

why? because anyone who CARES about your latest milestone already knows about it. the most important number is one more than you had last time.

Why do we continue to congratulate members on their certain number find when competitiveness is concidered taboo?  We say it is not about the numbers but yet when someone gets 1, 10, 50, 500, 600, 700,1000, 6000 we all say way to go.  I guess I am lost.  I like having something that tracks how many finds I have but yet do not understand for a place that doesn't like competitiveness why we track the numbers.  It doesn't make sense.

in another thread, you said:

Honestly, if these bother you, leave your GPS in the next cache you come to and quit the sport.

Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

you cant have it both ways

Actually, fly86 said that last remark.

I don't know why, but I get krn & fly mixed up all the time. Really weird, but I can't explain it...

now, this is a topic near and dear to me and my friends. for my last two significant milestones we had a party for one, and for the other we all took our shirts off and whirled them around brandy-chastain style. there are pictures you can find if you're very, very clever.

i have decided that my next big milestone is 729. why not?

and yet you will not see me starting any congratulatory threads here nor will you see any congratulatory threads started here for any of us. although we celebrate these things amongst ourselves, we think it is tacky to do so in the forums.

why? because anyone who CARES about your latest milestone already knows about it. the most important number is one more than you had last time.

Some of us know each other ONLY through the forums. The only other cacher I have met is not a forum regular.

Some of us know each other ONLY through the forums. The only other cacher I have met is not a forum regular.

i suppose it would be possible to congratulate them through email.

we still think it's tacky.

and how could you not meet other cachers? even without events i keep running into the same people. and there are a whole bunch more i know through logs and emails. of the geocaching eople i care most about, i think i'm the only forum regular.

and if i had better meds, i probably wouldn't hang out here, either.