West Tn Geocoin

primofam

Hey West TN cachers. I'm looking into getting some geocoins made up but not sure what all I would need to do for this to happen. I've gotten a couple of bids.

Wondering if anyone would want to go in with us after I get bids and all. Would like one like moun10bike but who can afford that. The other I've looked at is Kentucky's and changing it to the state of TN with a hiker.

Any idea on who to contact to get the geocaching logo on the flip side?

Any thoughts? Any interest?

Thanks.

The company that has the die for the geocaching side is Pressed Metal up in Canada. So of course you have to do the whole thing through them. After you get a design for your side set you have to contact Groundspeak to have it approved and then sign a contract saying you won't be making money off the coin or if you do how much you are going to give them.

<_< Thanks for the replies. I am in the searching stage right now. It was going to be a personal coin at first but the places I've contacted, the minimum order would kill me (300 coins at 2-4 bucks a piece). So, after that, I decided to do more of a regional (West TN) coin. I'm still pricing but will let folks know.

Thanks.

have you looked at wemakecoins.com? I think their minimum order is 25. The price for having that few made is high, almost $15 a coin after you factor in the die cost... and not adding any color or numbering.

So what companies have you checked with minimun orders of 300? I'd be interested in checking them out.

Also does Pressed Metal have a website?

This place did moun10bike's coin and I think they are the ones doing Washington's. I just talked to a guy last night that said he has a small group of people that want to do a locals only one and was told their minimum was only 100. At $3-4 a piece it isn't crazy.

Hhmm, now I'm just "a guy" huh?

Dave's right about pricing, though. Give them a call; they've been very helpful.

This place did moun10bike's coin and I think they are the ones doing Washington's.  I just talked to a guy last night that said he has a small group of people that want to do a locals only one and was told their minimum was only 100.  At $3-4 a piece it isn't crazy.

Hhmm, now I'm just "a guy" huh?

Dave's right about pricing, though. Give them a call; they've been very helpful.

Hehe, I thought you were trying to keep it on the DL. Just helpin' you out man! Anyone have an eraser? I'll change "guy" to "that fella over there".

Sorry for the lag time in posting. I've gotten a few quotes. The hold up is me getting okay from Groundspeak (my fault-I haven't made the call). Once cleared, I can get a better quote. The smallest order I can make is about 300. The prices so far are around 2.70-3.00 per coin including the initial set up fee. My biggest thing here is I'm not wanting to make a profit, I just want a cool coin for west tennessee.

At the geogathering here in Jackson, TN on 9/25 I will bring some samples one company sent me just to get more ideas.

Thanks again for all the response.

Good to meet you last night! Some of those samples were REALLY COOL! :) But I assume we are going with a more subdued (and less expensive) design than the Alabama one. I'll go in for a few dozen, depending upon the final price. I'll watch the thread for prices and instructions. Thanks for organizing this!

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to update everybody. I am closing in on everything. It seems to come down to 2 companies. pressedmetal and KVcoins. KV coins sent samples that are absolutely awesome. Pressed metal has the logo like on the usageocoin and that would drop the tooling fee some. I'm trying to get it all lined up so we are comparing the same quote and same items. Shipping will also be an issue. I forgot to ask kvcoins about theirs (I'll work on that). Also, the quote with pressed metal is a fluctuating one depending on the exchange rate with canada.

I've had several contacts with songs coins but never really get direct answers- One of my emails came back with my answer in some asian language-cool but I couldn't decipher. Needless to say, I've backed off from that option.

I can't get an image onto the discussion but I'd like the back to look like the usageocoin but perhaps in color.

The front I've designed (I use that term very loosely) is the state of Tennessee with a Geo-hiker type person in the West Tennessee area. Around the edging of the top of the coin would say West Tennessee Geocaching or Geocoin-haven't decided. At the bottom of the front side would be an area to have numbering.

Now if we can come up with a tracking system ($1.50 per coin on geocaching.com if we qualify as a "recognized organization"). That's a little too steep for me.

Those are my thoughts. Again, any design ideas are very welcome. You can respond here but if you have any designs, you can email me at premierholter@charter.net. Thanks, Mike <_<

Contact Kiawa or Goldsnoop-PA about their coins.

They just got an order of coins made for Pennsylvania and managed to get that other site (travelertags.com) to let them track them there for free.

You could also probably talk to another coin's site (cali for instance) and see how they set up their own or whatever.

Although if you get the coins for $5, including tracking on GCs site, it wouldn't be any worse than getting a travel bug.

You might also want to ask the Cali people where they got their coins, because they were only $2.15 (I think) each.

Contact Kiawa or Goldsnoop-PA about their coins.

They just got an order of coins made for Pennsylvania and managed to get that other site (travelertags.com) to let them track them there for free.

You could also probably talk to another coin's site (cali for instance) and see how they set up their own or whatever.

Although if you get the coins for $5, including tracking on GCs site, it wouldn't be any worse than getting a travel bug. 

You might also want to ask the Cali people where they got their coins, because they were only $2.15 (I think) each.

the main reason i think tegh CA coins were only $2.15 per coin is that all the dies were already made, this was a second pressing this year, and i believe it was more than 500 coins done. theres a 3rd pressing being worked on now for the remainer able to be produced from the dies for a total of 2000 coins and i think these will be a little more per coin because its only another 125 coins,pressed metal is the conpany that made them, Thread is Here

Chris

They are a little cheaper after the first run because you have already paid for die costs, but if you aren't making money on them and use the gc.com die for the back side they should only be around $2.50 - $2.75 each if you are using Pressed Metal company. They are a little more if they are numbered.

:):( I'm still out there looking everyone. The tracking is quite expensive but I'm trying to contact people. I'd be more than happy to have the flip side of the coin dedicated to any company that would provide us with tracking service (with a decent design). example: Track this coin at blahblahblah.com and if they have a logo they want to promote-boom there it is. It seems like that could be very easy advertising for providing some tracking numbers.

I have contacted several companies but still waiting on Groundspeak and travelertag to contact me.

Will keep you up to speed.

I sort of thought GOWT was a knee slapper. What do I know. I spend most of my free time looking for tupperware hidden in poison ivy.

Maybe I'm in the minority, wouldn't be the first time, but I'd personally rather have a really cool looking coin than have tracking. If I want to track one, I could always drill a hole and attach a tag, but I plan to use these for out of state caches, and I think it would be cool for someone far away to find one of our coins and go "WOW, :( " rather than "found ANOTHER :( West TN coin, I'll move it along if it doesn't lull me to sleep first!"

I'd especially feel this way if the tracking costs dang near as much as the coin!

Just my 2 cents, keep the change! :)

Edited by Spencersb

Well said and point taken Spencersb. I'll probably wait a few more days for input (maybe through the weekend or so). Then I will be going over all my info again. If no info sent my way, I will press on with the design I showed at the meeting. Groundspeak never returns calls (have left 4 and 4 emails). Travlertag with no response yet. They did provide PA with free tags but not sure how we will fair.

Either way, next week I will be sending someone the 150-230 bucks to start designing the die and when it is ready, I'll press on with the ordering process.

Right now, I'm still leaning to color. They just look so sharp.

Anyway, I ramble. Later.

Maybe I don't know much about the tracking process but it seems we could get some nice looking COLOR coins, sequentially numbered, and then if you wanted to track some of them or all of them you just paid the extra $1.50/ coin to GC to track them. Am I oversimplifying it? I thought you could just "activate" the ones you wanted to like a TB. All the coins that I've seen that are tracked have a TB designation assigned to them. Can someone please clarify the tracking process for Geocoins? Maybe I've got it all wrong. :P

Hi guys,

I have a quick question here. Can a cacher from out of town buy some coins?

I can't speak for Primofam, but I don't see why not, unless you're using Iraqi money :D

I'm not sure I know WHY someone from somewhere else would want to buy a bunch of West TN coins, though I understand the desire to be perceived as one of Geocaching's elite :P

First-

Armando, once we get the coin layout and all set up, I will post here and likely give just a short amount of time for all responders. I will likely purchase 500 coins to start off with and I'll pay for them. I will divide the cost by 500 and that will be EVERYONE's price. We aren't making a profit or anything like that. The only extra cost would be for someone not in West Tennessee or able to drive to pick them up-then they will have the ACTUAL shipping cost added-easy enough I hope.

Second:

Gib, I had thought to just number them sequentially from 000001 up but that would only be good for knowing which coin you have unless one of us was able to set up a website to track them (I don't have that knowledge). If we had GC tracking, we couldn't just make up numbers because they have to distribute the numbers themself. The travelertag.com folks would be easier. If we set up the numbers as TN00001 or WTN0001 or similar, they could probably do something like that. Either way, I've no contact from anyone about tracking. My email inbox anxiously awaits a contact from someone. The numbers add .30 to each coin I believe.

As an aside, I whole heartedly vote for colors. Thanks for all the comments.

:P:P:P Well, I have heard back from Groundspeak. We can use the logo in full color on the back. It will not have Groundspeak on it but can have the www.geocaching.com url on it. No tracking from GC. I haven't heard from travelertag.com. If they are like Groundspeak it may take a while. Bryan says he is only in the Groundspeak office one day a week. That explains a lot to me and sorry for all the emails bryan :P . Anyway, I'll start the process probably this upcoming week and will get back with everyone as able.

Later.

No tracking from GC.

Hey Primo,

Will they no longer track coins, or are you saying the coins we get won't be purchased w/ the tracking option added on? Could you please clarify. I might be in the minority but I'd rather pay a little bit more to have my coins tracked (preferably through GC.com). Just my $0.02 though....

Does tracking matter to anyone else besides me?

No tracking from GC.

Hey Primo,

Will they no longer track coins, or are you saying the coins we get won't be purchased w/ the tracking option added on? Could you please clarify. I might be in the minority but I'd rather pay a little bit more to have my coins tracked (preferably through GC.com). Just my $0.02 though....

Does tracking matter to anyone else besides me?

I know when the folks doing the Washington coin asked about this one of the problems was that gc.com would only track them if they had random numbers. Since people that mint the coins just throw them in a machine that numbers them in order they would have had to number them by hand with little dies and a hammer. I think there was something else about gc.com wanting to destribute them, but the numbering problem is enough.

I'm working on a personal coin and will not be numbering them because of the added cost of maintaining a logging site and mostly because 99% of them will end up in someone's collection so what's the point in knowing exactly who has which coin? But I do know many people are hopeful they will move and like the tracking.

Hey Gib,

I read through my other post and I didn't really understand it. Sorry.

GC.com isn't offering the tracking right now. We are not a "recognized organization". Nurse Dave is correct about the tracking numbers. They don't have sequential numbering-it's random and would be very difficult to have the minting company to set up.

To get numbers placed on the coins-it's no big deal. We just have no tracking system set up. Any computer geniuses out there that can set up a tracking system? I will still likely get the numbers stamped on the coins. They will likely be wtn***** (* being numbers). If travelertag.com turns out to help, that will likely be no problem for them. I'll try again through GC.com but the whole "recognized organization" is a loophole we aren't fitting into right now.

Hot topic? My girls like to shop there.

As for tracking, it matters naught to me. I like having numbers on them so you can differentiate them, though.

I had a TX Geocoin a loooong time ago. Tracked it on their site. Don't remember what number it was now. Lost track of it quickly even though it's tracked. I guess I could probably find it with a little web-searching -- maybe.

I'm not opposed to having a tracking option, but my expectations aren't high. Does that make any sense? :lol:

I do fully support this GOWT coin and I'll be buying a wad of them. B)

I'm okay with GOWT (but my feet hurt)

And I agree with BitBrain on the tracking. Nice, but not essential. They disappear faster than travel bugs, I've yet to actually find one in a cache, though several caches I've hunted showed them online. :D

I'm ready to order when you are! How will we pay you? PayPal?

Edited by Spencersb
I'm okay with GOWT (but my feet hurt)

And I agree with BitBrain on the tracking.  Nice, but not essential.  They disappear faster than travel bugs, I've yet to actually find one in a cache, though several caches I've hunted showed them online. ;)

I'm ready to order when you are!  How will we pay you? PayPal?

Ditto what SpencerSB said! (just to let you know I'm paying attention! ;) )

I like the idea of tracking, but it's not necessary for me.

I like GOWT too. (Did I just say that? :unsure: My feet must be hurting too Steve!).

So do we get a chance to critique the artwork ;) before it is sent to the mint? heh, heh, heh ;)

Hey, Primo, any idea what kind of turn around we're talking about? I've got a couple of business trips to AL coming up end of this month and again in Dec., and I plan to hit a few there and hop over to GA for a couple. It'd be nice to have a few to drop off there!

Tks!

Steve

Edited for crappy typing. I should just put that in my sig. line :anibad:

Edited by Spencersb
:anibad: Turn around is about 4-6 weeks. Had email contact with the Travelertag.com folks. They think this "may be commercial in nature". I tried to assure him this was all personal and I/we weren't selling any coin for a profit. I've had no response from them. Offered them the flip side of the coin for their design if they choose. Currently the front of the coin is under design and should hopefully have sample soon to share.