Pip's Party

Torry

I've got it on my calender and am trying to convince the wifey to at least accompany me there. She hates geo-caching but likes the Glenbrook Mall in Fort Wayne.

Glenbrook is awesome, and I love Jefferson Pointe, too, but that's further away for us, and Glenbrook has more stores.

Yeah, Clue may be better left for another day for us. It would be nice to do a mix of what Fort Wayne has to offer, and that's a LOT!

Why don't we start making suggestions here for caches to do that day?

Yeah, Clue may be better left for another day for us. It would be nice to do a mix of what Fort Wayne has to offer, and that's a LOT!

I'm fine with Clue. Like I said before, it doesn't matter to me how many caches we find.

But, on the other hand, maybe if we can pick up a few more as we're driving around getting the Clue clues...

Yeah, Clue may be better left for another day for us.  It would be nice to do a mix of what Fort Wayne has to offer, and that's a LOT!

I'm fine with Clue. Like I said before, it doesn't matter to me how many caches we find.

But, on the other hand, maybe if we can pick up a few more as we're driving around getting the Clue clues...

There ya go...great idea!

Did you see any that sound interesting to you? Even though Fort Wayne isn't far for me, the only ones I've done are the New Haven ones. All the Fort Wayne ones would be new to me! Torry may have done some already however.

Edited by Pipanella

I've only found a few - - - I'm usually rushing through FW to make my next stop - - - about a year before I joined I was here and did about ten finds with a buddy - - Thjis should be "equuleus" or something like that

This should be one of Genoist's , he's a very busy cacher in the area

This should be "one way" at a rest stop west of town

I've got a few others that have been archived and disabled so they don't count. It's been frustrating because I've had a bunch of these co-ords in my eTrex for a year and never had time to go looking. Sometimes I'm just a few hundred feet away but with no place to put the big truck or time to stop.

Oh, foo.  I just checked my calendar and the 19th is on a Sunday.  We can't make it - at least not for the morning bit.  :(

Oh well.  Maybe next time.

And I did so want to meet you all - especially Torry and Stunod.  :lol:

;) Maybe your plans will change between now and then?

No...we have church at 10:00. Hm. <perk> Any plans for a post-caching get-together that evening? We might be able to make that if we had a date & time...

Saturdays are out for me for the foreseeable future. I'll be making an exception to that for the MiGO Fall Fun Day in early Oct. but otherwise, Sundays are going to be it for me.

If I can, I might try to make it a two-for that weekend and hit the IN-GEO picnic. It's about 2x as far but if I'm free - have GPS, will travel.

Oh, foo.  I just checked my calendar and the 19th is on a Sunday.  We can't make it - at least not for the morning bit.  :D

And I did so want to meet you all - especially Torry and Stunod.  :huh:

:mad: Maybe your plans will change between now and then?

No...we have church at 10:00. Hm. <perk> Any plans for a post-caching get-together that evening? We might be able to make that if we had a date & time...

All plans are tentative at this time... Shoot we still haven't figured out the best place to meet. I'm back in FW tomorrow morning to deliver to a warehouse on the near NE side and then I have to hustle up to Auburn and points beyond.

Pip was liking a start on the East side near I-469 and US24. Feedback. I'm still trying to get the purse holder to okay an overnight stay but there aren't a lot of hotels on the east side.

Oh, foo.  I just checked my calendar and the 19th is on a Sunday.  We can't make it - at least not for the morning bit.  :huh:

And I did so want to meet you all - especially Torry and Stunod.  :mad:

:D Maybe your plans will change between now and then?

With the group that will be in attendance....an informal "post-caching" get together is inevitable!

Oh, foo. I just checked my calendar and the 19th is on a Sunday. We can't make it - at least not for the morning bit. :mad:

Oh well. Maybe next time.

And I did so want to meet you all - especially Torry and Stunod. :D

I'm sure we will be going all day...just find a way to contact someone when your prior engagement conclude...I'll give you my cell number if I need to...

We can drive our Mercury Villager mini-van.  That holds 7 comfortably.  More, not so comfortably.  LOL.

How about if those that will be coming put in one of the Fort Wayne zip codes (46802, 46805, 46809, 46815, and there are others) and take a look at the caches and make some suggestions?

I do think the Clue one would be fun, but it would take a long time to do, but that doesn't matter either, I suppose.  I think if people make suggestions as to which would be ones that would be fun and suitable for that day, then we can collectively decide in here and make a tentative plan that we can finalize at breakfast.

Whadaya think?

I can also volunteer the Stunodmobile (Durango)...it seats 7 also (although the last 2 will have to be small)

Does that mean I am out :D

So, this is a definite, right? I'm sure planning on it! I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen!

I have the day requested off work...I am going to be there for sure.

Torry...you should edit your original post in this thread as the info become concrete...like the date etc...

Oh yeah...Pip...I had a question for ya...how far from Ft. Wayne are you?...because there really isn't a good way for me to get to Ft. Wayne (ie no direct route)...was just wondering how 24 is?does it move ok...cause from what it looks like, I would take 275S to 24W to 69 into Ft. Wayne...but the route that Mapquest gives me has me going basically in an L...94W to 69S

Any thoughts??

Ps...for anyone who may be able to direct me...I am coming from Novi, MI (48375) ...in case you know of a good way to get there...

If Novi is near Detroit, then yeah, you should take US 24 from Toledo. It's got a lot of truck traffic, but it's a good route. I'll look at the map tomorrow and see if there's a better way.

OH, and I'm about 35 miles east of Fort Wayne, just off of US127.

Edited by Pipanella
If Novi is near Detroit, then yeah, you should take US 24 from Toledo. It's got a lot of truck traffic, but it's a good route. I'll look at the map tomorrow and see if there's a better way.

Thank you sweetheart!...I figured that would be a better route depending on how slow it moved...definately a shorter distance...

That's one of the routes that I'm considering (Ohio Turnpike into Toledo, then 24 to Ft. Wayne.) It depends on what I want to do on Saturday.

If the fall colors have started and it's a nice day I'll take a more scenic route (I-71 south to 30 and take 30 all the way to Ft. Wayne.)

I'm also considering starting real early and caching my way across the state.

You could do my caches! Especially if you take 30. After you did them (ending with Cross My Heart), you'd just head into Fort Wayne on Ohio 49, which turns into Dawkins Road.

Oh, and they just had a thing on the news two nights ago that we're having an early fall and they expect the colors to peak mid-September here, which is about three weeks early, so you may see some really pretty scenery!

Edited by Pipanella

All plans are tentative at this time... Shoot we still haven't figured out the best place to meet. I'm back in FW tomorrow morning to deliver to a warehouse on the near NE side and then I have to hustle up to Auburn and points beyond.

Pip was liking a start on the East side near I-469 and US24. Feedback. I'm still trying to get the purse holder to okay an overnight stay but there aren't a lot of hotels on the east side.

There's the Holiday Inn Express, and that's about it, for the far east side there at 930 and 469 East. I don't care where it is, since I'll be driving from home. I live about 40-45 minutes away. Whatever works best for others is fine with me.

I see Torry was going to be in Fort Wayne today, so maybe he'll know more when he gets back home tonight. We need to be firming some things up now. I've never been to an event or meeting or caching gathering of any kind, so I'm sort of at a loss as to what is done, and how it's done. And it's sort of weird to plan your own birthday party anyway. LOL.

But I'll start with this.......what is a good meeting time for breakfast before we start out caching? Let's decide that first, then we'll decide on the where...

Victorymike is going to come down with me on Sunday probably. (Still to confirm, but we discussed carpooling)

I hear that some Ohioans are interested in coming also.

So - we going to post this as a real event or what? :) Looks like there'll be a decent crowd showing.

I think (strong emphasis on think) that it's more of a "let's meet somewhere and drive around looking for caches" than a regular event.

I picture an event as having a central location where someone will be all day.

But I'm not organizing this thing, I'm just going to meet girls. Or at least one special birthday girl. :lol:

But I'll start with this.......what is a good meeting time for breakfast before we start out caching? Let's decide that first, then we'll decide on the where...

I find that the best time for breakfast is in the morning. If you have breakfast in the afternoon it interferes with your lunch. :)

Cached with SixTen today and talked to trippy on the phone tonight and I should be able to be in too. Besides someone is going to have to keep an eye on this crowd. :huh:

Now about that event page. It would make things a lot easier to make an event out of this and it doesn't cost a thing. :P That way it would be easier to keep track on who is coming and who isn't along with what the days activities will consist of.

Cached with SixTen today and talked to trippy on the phone tonight and I should be able to be in too.  Besides someone is going to have to keep an eye on this crowd.  :lol:

Now about that event page.  It would make things a lot easier to make an event out of this and it doesn't cost a thing. :huh:  That way it would be easier to keep track on who is coming and who isn't along with what the days activities will consist of.

Good idea, umc, and glad you can make it! This is going to be one of the most memorable birthdays ever! You know I've not only never been to a caching event or meeting, but I've never ever met another cacher before! :P

Edited by Pipanella

I'm sure we will be going all day...just find a way to contact someone when your prior engagement conclude...I'll give you my cell number if I need to...

Checked with the rest of the Paws team and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks in advance to whoever volunteers to be the phone-contact for us!

my email address is nivekmik (at) myvine (dot) com, if someone wants to volunteer their contact info to us.

Thanks!

-Kim for "Paws"itraction

(since we're going to be meeting at a restaurant afterward, though, I do believe the 3rd member of our team will have to sit this one out. Funny...most restaurants don't welcome large, hairy, slobbering, shedding dogs. Dunno why... :huh: )

Can we post it as an event, even if the details (time and place) aren't for sure yet? I mean, just so people know it's going to happen and can plan...

Sure, just make it clear on the page that it will be updated. The date if for sure and that's the important thing, you can figure the rest as you go.

Back in from an overnight trip throughout northern Indiana... About the only new news I have is that, well, I have nothing new to add, ...looks likd you guys are more on the ball than I on this one ....

Looks like lots of neat folks that I've seen on the forums and in a few logs are on board.

I was trying to avoid making this an official event so as not to interfere with the big IN-GEO meet down south.. but Pip it IS your party and looks like a lot of folks want to join in. Your call.

I can do the page, and then we'll update, as umc said. Is The Point Restaurant a for sure on the location? Did you happen to talk to them? I'll start working on the listing....

Any suggestions are certainly welcomed!!

I asked the folks at the Point about their Sunday crowd and they don't usually have much of one after about 8AM (when the truckers are back on the road) until lunch (when the truckers and travellers stop) - Plus, they have lots of parking for leaving vehicles while we run around.

(and decent coffee)

There are a few hotels nearby, not the classiest or quietest, and easy access for most travellers.

... that, and I had co-ords for that one. I used to have the Glenbrook Mall co-ords on my little yellow eTrex but deleted them to make room for more real caches.

Looks like you've got a movement here, Pip.

Since it will be an official event, I suppose I should mention that the Columbus Crazies have been discussing making the Sunday morning trip. Gives Coaster-COG, Mr. 0 and I a reason to exit the state for a little bit. Hopefully we'll have recovered from the Amethyst Murders on the 11th.

I've been wanting to get some Fort Wayne Finds since August 2002, anyway. Every one can be claimed as an FWF, right?

Since it will be an official event, I suppose I should mention that the Columbus Crazies have been discussing making the Sunday morning trip. Gives Coaster-COG, Mr. 0 and I a reason to exit the state for a little bit. Hopefully we'll have recovered from the Amethyst Murders on the 11th.

I've been wanting to get some Fort Wayne Finds since August 2002, anyway. Every one can be claimed as an FWF, right?

I think I understand you to say that you and a friend or two will be joining us in Ft. Wayne ...

the rest? I'll just nod blithely and move on.......

Cached with SixTen today and talked to trippy on the phone tonight and I should be able to be in too.  Besides someone is going to have to keep an eye on this crowd.  :D

Now about that event page.  It would make things a lot easier to make an event out of this and it doesn't cost a thing. :lol:  That way it would be easier to keep track on who is coming and who isn't along with what the days activities will consist of.

Good idea, umc, and glad you can make it! This is going to be one of the most memorable birthdays ever! You know I've not only never been to a caching event or meeting, but I've never ever met another cacher before! :D

Are you sure you are going to be able to handle all of the excitement?! :D

(don't want any stitches coming loose!)

>BUMP<

Looks like Pip's Party is coming along .... I've tried ot discern which of the folks signing on may be in the FW area and if they have some suggestions ... I should have some time to devote to a proper "After Cache" location search on Tuesday.

Edited by Torry

The wife and I are -tentatively- planning on attending. It all boils down to whether or not I can take off work to come up there and whether or not we can get her Dad to watch the kids. We'll definitely have to get a hotel room, too. I'll try to keep updated as time flies by.

Cached with SixTen today and talked to trippy on the phone tonight and I should be able to be in too.  Besides someone is going to have to keep an eye on this crowd.  :D

Now about that event page.  It would make things a lot easier to make an event out of this and it doesn't cost a thing. :D  That way it would be easier to keep track on who is coming and who isn't along with what the days activities will consist of.

Good idea, umc, and glad you can make it! This is going to be one of the most memorable birthdays ever! You know I've not only never been to a caching event or meeting, but I've never ever met another cacher before! :D

Are you sure you are going to be able to handle all of the excitement?! :blink:

(don't want any stitches coming loose!)

Yeah, that puts me at 4½ weeks post-op. I should be fine!