Pip's Party

Torry

Stopped by Fort Wayne and visited the area today.

There are 8 hotels in sight of the Point restaurant (and truck stop);

- -"Travel Inn" -

- - Red Roof Inn

- - Motel 6

- - Knights Inn

- - Econo Lodge

- - Best Inns of America

- - Howard Johnson's

- - Quality Hotel (which I believe used to be a Holiday Inn)

My pick of the group is the Quality Hotel, for an after-cache meeting. It's got more indoor open space.

(There are also two decidedly adult establishment nearby, but being Sunday ... sorry guys ... )

Stopped by Fort Wayne and visited the area today.

- -"Travel Inn" -

- - Red Roof Inn

- - Motel 6

- - Knights Inn

- - Econo Lodge

- - Best Inns of America

- - Howard Johnson's

My pick of the group is the Quality Hotel, for an after-cache meeting. It's got more indoor open space.

(There are also two decidedly adult establishment nearby, but being Sunday ... sorry guys ... )

Just to play the pessimist...

Will the Quality Hotel want a bunch of people who have just spent the day in the woods tramping into the hotel? Unless some of them are registered there?

Someone may want to warn them.

Torry, you're the one that has checked things out, so we'll just trust you on things. Quality Hotel it is. Now.....we need to figure out times!! What time to meet? 8:00? 8:30? 9:00? What time do these things usually start?

For me, I would say 8:00. That's figuring on spending a fair amount of time talking and eating breakfast and still be able to get out early enough to spend a day caching. Of course, keep in mind that I'm generally an early morning cacher. I like to be out caching at dawn, when it's cooler and the parks are empty.

As for a after-cache meeting time, you may want to consider about 6:00. That would leave time for some more visiting and dinner, and still allow the people that have a longer drive ahead of them to get a start before it gets too dark.

Stopped by Fort Wayne and visited the  area  today.

- -"Travel Inn" -

- - Red Roof Inn

- - Motel 6

- - Knights Inn

- - Econo Lodge

- - Best Inns of America

- - Howard Johnson's

Will the Quality Hotel want a bunch of people who have just spent the day in the woods tramping into the hotel? Unless some of them are registered there?

True..................

Stopped by Fort Wayne and visited the  area  today.

- -"Travel Inn" -

- - Red Roof Inn

- - Motel 6

- - Knights Inn

- - Econo Lodge

- - Best Inns of America

- - Howard Johnson's

True..................

My current game plan includes a night's stay in FW.

If we get kicked out of the pool we can hang out in my room, play records, hold a seance, make s'mores ....

Is there a restaurant there, Torry, so that we can refuel our famished selves after our busy day?

Yup, and I believe their liquor license is up-to-date for service 'til midnight.

Wow, that's 1:00 AM my time! :huh:

Oh, maybe this is a stupid question, but do they serve on Sundays in Indiana?

(You can tell I never go out drinking...)

Torry, do I need to call The Pointe, or was your talk with them sufficient? If we have 20 or so, will they be able to accommodate us? I'm thinking of all the kids that go to The Vagabond on US 24 north of Paulding on Sunday mornings after prom. I don't know if The Pointe has room for a big group like that, I've never been there, but I know The Vagabond never knows those kids are coming and how many until they get there.

Torry, do I need to call The Pointe, or was your talk with them sufficient?  If we have 20 or so, will they be able to accommodate us?  I'm thinking of all the kids that go to The Vagabond on US 24 north of Paulding on Sunday mornings after prom.  I don't know if The Pointe has room for a big group like that, I've never been there, but I know The Vagabond never knows those kids are coming and how many until they get there.

Give them a call. The place is just a truck stop restaurant and lacks a formal meeting area.

When this ball started rolling we were a happy band of AS survivors getting together. I doubt if the place would mind a healthy turn-out and the lot will still be available should we get overcrowded indoors.

Ummmm, I just re-read your post ... the co-ords I gave you were for The Point Restaurant, no "e". I's a truckstop/travel plaza / restaurant next to I69.

Edited by Torry

It's starting to look like at least 2 of the COG clan will try to head to the FW area on Saturday. We'll do some caching and then camp somewhere. We have a limited amount of time on Sunday, so we'll be at breakfast, most likely and participate in Clue but after that we'll probably be out. It's too late and one of us isn't interested in not working the next few weeks.

Sorry going OT for a sec...

Pip,

You didn't by any chance happen to work with Dr Painter at some time, did you?

Okay, back to the topic...

I KNOW Dr. Painter, and even interviewed with him for a job several years ago, but I didn't take it. He also called me earlier this year to see if I would be interested in working for him on a regular basis, but I wasn't interested, so I didn't. Why? How do you know him?

Torry, do I need to call The Pointe, or was your talk with them sufficient?  If we have 20 or so, will they be able to accommodate us?  I'm thinking of all the kids that go to The Vagabond on US 24 north of Paulding on Sunday mornings after prom.  I don't know if The Pointe has room for a big group like that, I've never been there, but I know The Vagabond never knows those kids are coming and how many until they get there.

Give them a call. The place is just a truck stop restaurant and lacks a formal meeting area.

When this ball started rolling we were a happy band of AS survivors getting together. I doubt if the place would mind a healthy turn-out and the lot will still be available should we get overcrowded indoors.

Ummmm, I just re-read your post ... the co-ords I gave you were for The Point Restaurant, no "e". I's a truckstop/travel plaza / restaurant next to I69.

Okay, I'll call them tomorrow and talk with the manager. And I'll go correct the spelling now! (Man, I hate it when I misspell something!! :laughing: )

Pip,

I KNOW Dr. Painter, and even interviewed with him for a job several years ago, but I didn't take it. He also called me earlier this year to see if I would be interested in working for him on a regular basis, but I wasn't interested, so I didn't. Why? How do you know him?

My wife and I used to live in NW Ohio. We lived in Van Wert, Convoy and Rockford for a total of about 9 years. I was looking at your profile and you looked somewhat familiar. Dr Painter was our dentist while we lived in Convoy.

I guess I was just wondering if you'd ever cleaned my teeth!

Pip,

My wife and I used to live in NW Ohio. We lived in Van Wert, Convoy and Rockford for a total of about 9 years. I was looking at your profile and you looked somewhat familiar. Dr Painter was our dentist while we lived in Convoy.

I guess I was just wondering if you'd ever cleaned my teeth!

Ahhhh!! I know one of the hygienists Dr. Painter had, but that's the only one, and she doesn't look like me. :) In any case, I've been in hundreds of mouths over the last 27 years, but I don't think I've been in yours! :blink:

I just spoke with the manager there, and he said, as you did, that it's usually pretty slow at 8:00 on a Sunday morning, so he didn't see a problem at all with us being there.

We were reminded that Indiana is currently an hour behind us (Michigan) so the 8am start there is 9am for us eastern timers. That makes the day a little less early :blink: Yay!

Pip and I have exchanged digits. We plan on rolling in (4) about the time of the event but reserve the right to be a little late. How long do you guys expect to be at the restaurant? An hour? Less? More?

Rock on!

We were reminded that Indiana is currently an hour behind us (Michigan) so the 8am start there is 9am for us eastern timers.  That makes the day a little less early :D  Yay!

Pip and I have exchanged digits.  We plan on rolling in (4) about the time of the event but reserve the right to be a little late.  How long do you guys expect to be at the restaurant?  An hour?  Less?  More?

Rock on!

OK...I'm coming from Illinois. If the event starts at 8am local Fort Wayne time, that's like 5:17 to me, right? :blink::D

I'll get there when I get there. Hopefully I can track somebody down after that. :)

Made my reservations at the Quality Hotel just down the road from the Point. Bad news is that there is no early check-in as hey have a house full of Shriners. Those little cars are such a pain.

If you need it the number is (260)484-7711

They have a pool. I'll bring my unventilated wetsuit.

11:25pm EST.

Finishing up the current beer I'm working on and heading to bed. Trippy is staying the night at my place and SixTen is meeting us here at 6am in the morning. From there we have to make two stops, diesel, and Micky D's, then on to pick up victorymike and we'll be on our way. We should be there around 8:30 9am your time so wait for us long haul travelers.

Looking foward to it.

copy and pasting on the event page too.

Hope you enjoyed the card. The main competition was:

Front- Scale with Dirt on one side of the scale and "You" on the other.

Inside- "Too Close To Call."

Figured the one with the directionally challenged was more fitting. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat, especially about RotB. Anyone mind sharing in an email or PM? I want to hit it next week on a trip up to Kalamazoo with Mr. O.

And, since I probably will wait till tomorrow to log today's caches (I think I enjoy changing the date on the log page...) Happy Birthday, Pip!

Hope you enjoyed the card. The main competition was:

Figured the one with the directionally challenged was more fitting. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat, especially about RotB. Anyone mind sharing in an email or PM? I want to hit it next week on a trip up to Kalamazoo with Mr. O.

And, since I probably will wait till tomorrow to log today's caches (I think I enjoy changing the date on the log page...) Happy Birthday, Pip!

The card was GREAT! It will go in my caching scrapbook!

RotB??

Hope you enjoyed the card.  The main competition was:

Figured the one with the directionally challenged was more fitting.  Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat, especially about RotB.  Anyone mind sharing in an email or PM?  I want to hit it next week on a trip up to Kalamazoo with Mr. O.

The card was GREAT! It will go in my caching scrapbook!

RotB??

RotB?

Pip, I'll just remember those fine words. What happens in Fort Wayne, stays in Fort Wayne.

Boy. Wouldn't it be the coolest thing if there could be, like, an annual get-together up around the MI/IN/OH corner?

That could be a lot of fun.

It could never happen.

Torry, I thought you were trying to organize another one of these until I actually read the date. What a great time we had. I would now recommend the diner on the other side of Colesium, though. Liberty Diner is a little less truck stop and a little more family friendly, but not enough to really get crowded. :huh:

That was almost exactly one week before I first met girlgeek on the internet, and a month before she started caching. Now I live in the Fort. Go figure...