Finding Address On A 60c

buck09

My brother recently bought a Garmin 60C, and he wanted to know if there is any way, using just the GPS, to find a specific address, or even a street for navigation on the fly. If that's not possible, are there any addons that add the capability? Are there other Garmin units that can do that??

Thanks!

The 60C will do that with MapSource mapping software uploaded.

"MetroGuide" maps will give you the ability to lookup addresses or Points of Interest (POIs - like restaurants, stores, hotels, gasoline and other businesses) and then have the GPSr point you in the right direction.

"City Select" maps also has address and POI lookup, but it can route you to the desired destination with turn-by-turn directions.

The "autorouting" feature is one of the best features of the 60 series! So it is highly recommended that you go with City Select rather than MetroGuide. It costs a bit more, but it's well worth it!

Just so you know, Metroguide 4 is ROUTABLE and runs on the 60CS and can be had for 30 bucks on eBay.

It's two or three years old but I prefer it to City Select because the POI data is MUCH smaller and I can cram more maps intot he unit. (it also shows more map detail such as RR tracks and water features than City Select).

I really don't need to know if there's an Arby's at a certain address or a Starbucks so I don't mind not having the full POI data.

Metroguide 4 is fully routable. It's The newer Metroguide that isn't.

Edited by jollybgood

I have Metroguide 4 and CitySelect 4, 4.01, 5, and 6 (been upgrading since 4) and the maps in MG4 are very lacking. The software might only be a few years behind but the maps are over 7 years old or more. It was missing areas that had been around for 10+ years for where I lived in Texas and Florida. I still use the MG4 for my Vista but for my 60CS CitySelect is a better choice. Also the POI for each is just about the same but of different types, MG has things like marine NAV and boating routes and CS has (or tries to have) every business.

You should be careful getting Mapsource from eBay. If you don’t get the unlocking coupon with the CD (i.e. it is a used CD) you can't unlock the maps for a unit making it useless. The price of a new unlocking key is the same price as getting the software new from Garmin. Just because the CD jewel case is still sealed does not mean the coupon is still with the CD.

You should be careful getting Mapsource from eBay. If you don’t get the unlocking coupon with the CD (i.e. it is a used CD) you can't unlock the maps for a unit making it useless. The price of a new unlocking key is the same price as getting the software new from Garmin. Just because the CD jewel case is still sealed does not mean the coupon is still with the CD.

As far as I know, Metroguide doesn't require an unlock code. CitySelect does, so buying it off eBay is definatly a risk.

Find -> Addresses -> enter City -> enter Address number -> enter Street Name

I believe you have to download detailed maps from City Select or MetroGuide first.

That menu you describe - that's actually in the GPS after you load the City Select menus?

(The reason I want to be absolutely sure is because he's on call quite a bit and needs to be able to look up and route to addresses without the computer...)

My GPS experience is limited to my eTrex Legend...

That menu you describe - that's actually in the GPS after you load the City Select menus?

Yes, once you've loaded CitySelect data into the GPS, you can search for addresses and intersections (along with POI data) fairly easily. The street address data is interpolated between intersections, so he'll need to keep his eyes open for the exact address, but it will get you close.

Find -> Addresses -> enter City -> enter Address number -> enter Street Name

I believe you have to download detailed maps from City Select or MetroGuide first.

(The reason I want to be absolutely sure is because he's on call quite a bit and needs to be able to look up and route to addresses without the computer...)

I can tell you that it will route very well. I use my 60CS in my part-time job delivering pizzas for Domino's and it will even tell me what side of the street the address is. If you have new neighborhood (less than 2 years old after they were all built and sold) they might not be in the CitySelect v.6 yet.

Give me a few minutes and I will take some screen shots of how it handles looking up an address.

It looks like a lot of steps, but after you practice and find 2 or 3 addresses, it only takes a minute or 2.

Here's an example for finding

245 Tolley Dr.

Beckley, West Virginia

Note: MapSource has the street name "Tolley" spelled incorrectly as "Tolly" (no "e").

1. Press "FIND". Waypoints show by default.

2. Scroll down to "Addresses". Press "ENTER".

3. Data Input screen appears. Scroll to top and press "ENTER"

4. Select the state where the address is located (example: WV). Press "ENTER"

5. Scroll down to City and press "ENTER"

6. A list of cities appears with data entry field and keypad.

7. Type the first few lettersof the city until you see it appear in the list.

Press "OK".

8. Scroll down and highlight desired city (example: Beckley). Press "ENTER"

9. Scroll down to Number and press "ENTER"

10. Use the keypad to enter just the street number of the address (example:

245). Press "ENTER"

11. Scroll down to Street Name and press "ENTER"

12. Use the keypad to type in the first few letters of the street name (example:

Tol). Press "OK"

13. Scroll down and select "Tolly". Press "ENTER"

14. GPSr quickly finds THE match. Scroll down to highlight it and press "ENTER"

15. GPSr gives you distance and bearing information with options

to "SAVE", "MAP", or "Go To"

"Save" will create a waypoint. "Map" will show it centered on the map (you

can zoom straight down to it). "Go To" will simply navigate you to the

address without showing it or creating a waypoint.

16. I selected "Map".

17. I zoomed in on the address.

fe7ab5c8-e2fc-4e22-ba02-b852dfa39a18.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo
It looks like a lot of steps, but after you practice and find 2 or 3 addresses, it only takes a minute or 2.

Here's an example for finding

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the illustration - I'm going to print that out for my brother - he will find that quite helpful.

Thanks again everyone for all the great information. After this, I think he's going to be an easy geocaching convert :(