Finding Non-local Caches?

fruitynewt

Hi,

I'm an occasional geocacher about to go away on holiday to Northern Alberta. I don't know the co-ordinates or postal code of where I'm going. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to find a list of caches that are within a certain distance of a chosen place name? Do I have to get a map and find the longitude and lattitude for my holiday location or are there easier ways?

Thanks

Rick.

You can always google for co-ordinates so that you don't have to find a map yourself and figure them out.

ie: Google Example Carson Creek ALberta

(Notice Lat & Long for Carson Creek can be found on page linked in the first result. Along with a number of "middle of nowhere" type places :lol: )

Thorin

Thanks for the reminder on that. Most airport websites will include coordinates. In the states airnav.com will get you an info page on any airport. Unfortunately this site does not work outside the U.S.

The other suggestions are probably quicker, but my method is to Google search for a town and choose a hit that probably contains an address. I take the zipcode from the address and enter it in geocaching.com.

In this case I didn’t immediately think of a town, so I entered Alberta Canada. It yielded this page: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...G=Google+Search

From this list I chose the second link, the University of Alberta and found this zipcode -- T6G 2E1.

Entering this zipcode in geocaching.com gave me this list -- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=T6G+2E1

Edited by Thot