Bridge Cache

Team Yontz

Has anyone ever placed or know of a cache that has ben placed under a bridge? In my area, the bridges (ones you drive under, not creek or river) have large concrete pillars that hold them up. It would be easy to stash a cache behind one and there is usually enough room to pull way off the road to log it. Anybody know of anybody doing this type?

Please be mindful of the section of the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines regarding Off-limits Physical Caches, which states that caches will be archived if placed "near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports." (emphasis added)

Caches underneath an overpass on a busy interstate highway, Federal highway or major state route pose significant risk of accidental bomb scare reports. Please stay away from those locations. They are among the places that are most frequently the subject of calls to Groundspeak from law enforcement officers.

On the other hand, if there is a nature trail or park underneath the bridge, such that a spectator would not be curious about someone walking in the area, this might be acceptable. Also the risk at a picturesque covered bridge in the countryside is very different from that in a busy urban area.

All of this will depend on the exact location of your geocache. Be prepared to address this in your cache submission by including any helpful explanatory information in the "note to reviewer" field.

Good point about people being suspicious. I guess I think more about safety and good spot rather than what the passer-by muggle might think you are up to! I live in Central PA and there are a couple of bridges along Route 15 that would be great, big pull off area and such, but it subject to high traffic. Especially morning/evening rush hour. Just a thought, plenty of other places!!

These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports." (emphasis added)

Caches underneath an overpass on a busy interstate highway, Federal highway or major state route pose significant risk of accidental bomb scare reports.

I had missed that point about it being high usage bridges. Thanks for the clarification Keystone. I was under the impression that anything other than a walking trail or unused bridge would be unusable.

I have gone to 2 placed under bridges, but they were over rivers, scenery I prefer much more than one with cars or deisel trucks driving by. I did one in Vermont in a covered bridge, a full sized ammo can, and that was really cool, the bridge was supposed to be haunted, too. I don't think I'd go out of my way to find one just under a bridge that goes over a road. It conjures up images of broken glass, litter, homeless camps and the smell of who knows what.

All good points and suggestions. We do have the Heritige Ra9il Trail with Howard Tunnel that may prove to be a good place not to mention scenic. I think the bridge itself is actually a virtual. Maybe I will look into that. Thanks to all.

for what its worth, I like the idea of hanging your cache from a bridge!!!

for what its worth, I like the idea of hanging your cache from a bridge!!!

You like that? I though it would be particularly tricky. I just have these horrible visions of police cars roaring up to the site when Joe Cacher is trying to reel in the cache while laying on his stomach with his head between the railings.

I think the trick would be to find a bridge that is tall enough so that someone going under the bridge couldn't look up and see the cache hanging down, but small enough so the local authorities aren't called to haul the apparently mad bombers a** to jail. Amount of traffic would be a factor too. As well as making some sort of effort to ensure your finders don't plummet to their deaths.

Generally I'd stay away from anything coming out of New York.

Or anything that has the words "Golden," "George Washington," or "London" in it.

Pan

One way to get around that, would be to rig a pully system of sourts using fishing line. You would need two cachers, one on the bridge to grab the cache and another below the bridge to "pull" the cache to the the first. You would need to have the tethered end tied off somewhere to the side. The monofilament line would be practically invisable. Doable, fun, and something different.

Ah, those early days of geocaching were so much fun! One of my favorite caches involved climbing ~15 feet up a leg of a Riverside Dr bridge in NYC. To make matters more challenging, climbers were in view of a police substation and a parking garage manned 24 hrs by attendants.

I did the cache late at night after work; having a job where one wore all-black was quite convenient. The camo job of the cache box was silver paint and duct tape; it was clearly visible from the ground if one knew where to look, and would certainly be a terrible idea in the current political climate.

:)Vertigo! :)

(According to the owner) "Vertigo is a cache I hid in the city of Bathurst in northern New Brunswick. It's basically a micro with a magnet attached that is hidden under a bridge. This bridge is approximately 200 feet above the water and the only way to reach the cache is to walk on an extremely narrow catwalk about halfway across and jump down onto a concrete pier and walk about 10 feet over to reach this cache. Only a few people have found it and others have told me they don't want to take the chance in trying for it."

Actually, many bridges are graceful and/or interesting, asthetic structures (even some of the ones that don't otherwise take you to a scenic area). It's too bad that caches like the one listed above will probably not be approved in today's state of affairs. :):)

<_<Vertigo! :o

(According to the owner) "Vertigo is a cache I hid in the city of Bathurst in northern New Brunswick. It's basically a micro with a magnet attached that is hidden under a bridge. This bridge is approximately 200 feet above the water and the only way to reach the cache is to walk on an extremely narrow catwalk about halfway across and jump down onto a concrete pier and walk about 10 feet over to reach this cache. Only a few people have found it and others have told me they don't want to take the chance in trying for it."

Actually, many bridges are graceful and/or interesting, asthetic structures (even some of the ones that don't otherwise take you to a scenic area). It's too bad that caches like the one listed above will probably not be approved in today's state of affairs. B):laughing:

I would try that one, it sounds really cool. :D

Bridge caches can be fun.... If they are in low traffic area, or under pedestrian bridges in parks. I'd would avoid "highway bridges" or bridges with steep or unstable ground under them however.

This is an example of a fun & safe bridge cache. You might contact the cache owner and see if he has any good tips for ya. :laughing:

Best wishes!! <_<

I attempted to place a stage of one of mine by an abutment in a creek. The creek has an island and its not under the bridge, nor does the bridge get more the 20-30 cars cross a day, but it got turned down.

The approver offered to approve it if I could supply pictures and other things, but I'm just too lazy. I'm giving someone else my idea, and they can do the work. :blink:

I didn't "turn it down", I asked you questions about your cache under the bridge. Your cache was not archived; it was just placed "on hold." Had I heard the traffic figure that you just posted, it would've been very helpful. What I *actually* said to you was as follows:

Stage one of the cache appears like it may be hidden underneath a bridge. See the "Off Limits" section of the geocache listing guidelines, which includes "highway bridges." Please write me an e-mail with a description of the container, hiding place, surroundings, and the nature of the bridge and roadway. Explain how your cache location meets this section of the guidelines. If you have photos and/or evidence of permission, those would be helpful to pass along as attachments.

Where do you see the word "no" or "turned down" in there?

Since you state that you're abandoning the idea, I've gone ahead and archived your cache, as it's been sitting in my hold queue waiting for an answer for several weeks. If you are "too lazy" to go take a picture of the cache setting, or to move your cache to a different spot in order to get it listed, then perhaps it's just as well that you don't place a cache that you are not willing to maintin.